The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
11/13/17 11:06 a.m.

story by tony sestito • photos by kevin adolf

The Chevrolet Camaro: Depending on who you ask, the mere mention of this model name can conjure up a host of different reactions. Some might picture a beautiful 1969 creampuff on display at a car show, a Trans-Am racer mixing it up with the best the early ’70s had to offer, …

Read the rest of the story

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/17 9:47 p.m.

I was never really a fan of the F-body. This probably stems from growing up in NJ with all the Bon Jovi wannabes running around in their Z28s and Berlinettas. Too much stigma and big hair for me. This car though, is based on my Favourite of that genre, the early 70s were the prettiest of the breed and this car simply turns the knob up to 11.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/14/17 12:16 a.m.

I know this car is catching some flack over on the Facespace page but I think it's fantastic.  I was thrilled to see it in the magazine as I've been enthralled by the car since I first saw it on the internet.  Someone said you can't build that in your garage.  Yes this car probably cost near supercar money but that doesn't mean it can't inspire your build.  I'd take a good hard look at some of the builds on this forum and  consider what some of the GRM community is capable of before you assume you couldn't pull that off in your garage.  Builds like loosecannons MGB, kevlarcorolas autox toy, the Nelson clan, the 1JZ Ratrod just to name a few show what can be done by dedicated people with limited resources and day jobs getting after it and being inspired.  I like  to think that my MG would look a little more like this if it wasn't just me, an angle grinder, and a harbor freight flyer.  

I hope someday to see this car in person and want to make the relatively short drive to RoadsterShop someday to have a look around.  No matter what the budget someone visualized that dream and real talent went into making it a reality.  To me that is an inspiration to challenge what I think I am capable of.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/14/17 9:02 a.m.

Yes, the car is receiving a lot of flak on being "not-Grassroots" and "too expensive". But the car is absolutely amazing and it needed to be recognized. It's not just your run-of-the-mill, "Pro-Fairground" Camaro build. 

This car was built for track duty using all the tricks in the book (and then some), and it competed in the Ultimate Track Car Challenge with success. Many of the cars that compete in that event are just as expensive. It is not just a show car; it hangs out for much of it's existence roasting its tires at VIR. Who says you can't build a cool track car on a common platform as a showcase for what your shop can do? It's a conversation starter and a more-than-capable racer.

Also, it is a "halo" build for sure. This car has gotten my lazy butt back out to my own garage to wrench on my own 2nd Gen F-Body. If I can make mine 1/100th as cool as this thing, then I'm winning. And that's part of the reason why it exists. smiley

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
11/14/17 9:50 a.m.

The downside to trying to pull off a project like Rampage at home is the average guy doesn't have the equipment a place like Roadster Shop has OR the manpower team that's talented in many different ways (even if they have the financial resources).  Design, engineering, fabrication, electrical,  body/paint, and assembly of a car like this all require different skills. A single person probably won't compare to the quality craftsmanship of a RS team member who does a particular profession daily does. Also a person working alone could spend decades of their free time to complete a build like this only to end up with an outdated car if it ever was actually completed.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/14/17 9:55 a.m.
NOT A TA said:

The downside to trying to pull off a project like Rampage at home is the average guy doesn't have the equipment a place like Roadster Shop has OR the manpower team that's talented in many different ways (even if they have the financial resources).  Design, engineering, fabrication, electrical,  body/paint, and assembly of a car like this all require different skills. A single person probably won't compare to the quality craftsmanship of a RS team member who does a particular profession daily does. Also a person working alone could spend decades of their free time to complete a build like this only to end up with an outdated car if it ever was actually completed.

It is  a recipe. Document it, and the average guy can take one or two of the ingredients and put it into their own meal. 

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/14/17 11:38 a.m.
mtn said:
NOT A TA said:

It is  a recipe. Document it, and the average guy can take one or two of the ingredients and put it into their own meal. 

This is exactly what I have done with my own Camaro build.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/14/17 12:32 p.m.

Yes, the Rampage is over the top.   Yes, it was extremely expensive to build, and put together by some of the most talented craftsmen in the world.  (don't believe me?  Visit the Roadster Shop)

What this car represents is a high-point, a goal, an inspiration.  I see nothing wrong with showcasing such an incredible build every now and again.  This isn't the meat and potatoes of what we do, but it sure is interesting to see what CAN be done.   This car also represents a melding of our road racing / autocross world and the Hot Rod / Pro Touring scene, and I find that exciting. 

We can teach many of these pro-touring guys things about making a car turn.  They can give us fabrication, and engineering advice.   I see cars like the Rampage bringing our two camps together, and I love it!   

svisek
svisek New Reader
11/14/17 1:59 p.m.

As far as I'm concerned the "F" in F-body stands for Firebird.  Ponchos forever!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/14/17 2:09 p.m.

My google foo is failing me but can we have a "compare and contrast" between this one and that crazy mid engined 2nd gen autocross monster that was featured in the mag a couple of years ago?

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
11/14/17 2:14 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Here's the article. Compare away!

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
11/14/17 3:11 p.m.

To be fair UTCC brings out some pretty serious and expensive hardware too. Featuring these builds here and there doesn't hurt anything especially when further back you have the low buck Miatas, that glorious ramp truck, and the garage build.

I've been laughing my ass off at the flack GRM has been catching on FB for covering the Simply Clean event. So much salt about what's become a fairly visible sub culture. It's not what I'm into it either but if a build appears well done I'll spend some time looking and I'm really interested in the direction they've pushed the aftermarket air suspension industry.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d334njzzw43uQGgSpIrJCE3zTVHAx3dzknk0HHbQLJXCKGFzCVfQ06QFENnPTFEn