1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
1/28/19 2:08 a.m.
Stefan said:
Probably the one they went “Commando” and tried to make it through a Counter-Strike style map.  It was terrible, just terrible and I felt embarrassed for them.  It did get better from there, but that was a low point for them.

That was definitely the low point.  Just terrible.  That, and the 'American' test driver...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/28/19 6:50 a.m.

Just caught up on the two part Columbia special last night with the family.  It may not have been as 'Awesome' a trip as the Polar, Vietnam or Patagonia specials, but it was probably the funniest one they've done.  For the first time ever I was sad when I saw one of the cars.  Those 4x4 Pandas are way cool and not many left, while it was awesome to see, I died a little when I realized that would be it's last trip as it really looked to be in amazing condition, before they dragged it into the sea in the opening sequence.  My daughter and I instantly said 'Hippo's' when the said they were doing wildlife photography as Pablo's water cows are hilarious.  

On a more serious note, I wonder if the Oxygen for Jezza was as much for the fact he's so incredibly rotund and unhealthy these days as it was for comedic effect.  I'm not downplaying the lack of oxygen at that altitude, from memory the FAA says you need O2 for the pilot at pressures over 12k feet cabin pressure for more than 20 mins and for everyone once over 15k feet cabin pressure, but I bet he really really needed it in his condition.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/19 7:28 a.m.

Why did they go up to the top of the mountain anyway. I know the condor but it just seemed like they needed a filler or something.  They could have done more with some of the other scenery and then just find the road kill and move on. 

Over all as usual fun to watch. Even bad GT is way better than most other good TV. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/28/19 7:40 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I thought the mountain was cool.  Don't forget, while this is Amazon, it's still a UK based show.  The highest point in the UK is only just over 4,000 feet.  The effects of true altitude are not as well understood by the average Joe over there.  Also I found it fascinating to see the volcanic silt and weather change.  And as the Panda only had 49hp to start, at 16K feet it would  have had 23hp, that was worth seeing as well.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/28/19 8:23 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

On a more serious note, I wonder if the Oxygen for Jezza was as much for the fact he's so incredibly rotund and unhealthy these days as it was for comedic effect.  I'm not downplaying the lack of oxygen at that altitude, from memory the FAA says you need O2 for the pilot at pressures over 12k feet cabin pressure for more than 20 mins and for everyone once over 15k feet cabin pressure, but I bet he really really needed it in his condition.

Don't forget his 2-pack a day habit for 40 years.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/19 8:28 a.m.
Rodan said:
Stefan said:
Probably the one they went “Commando” and tried to make it through a Counter-Strike style map.  It was terrible, just terrible and I felt embarrassed for them.  It did get better from there, but that was a low point for them.

That was definitely the low point.  Just terrible.  That, and the 'American' test driver...

Upon seeing "Commando" all I could think about was Jeremy's cut-off shorts in the last episode.  That was also some kind of low point-- for my eyes!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/28/19 8:56 a.m.

Columbia special was really good. What an astoundingly beautiful country.

I'm glad because the 1st episode felt a bit stale, it was the 4 cars that saved it. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/28/19 9:27 a.m.

The Fiat Panda was awesome.

The lift on the Chevy was awful. A 3" straight suspension lift would've been more functional.

I'm pretty sure Clarkson has trashed Jeeps in the past. I know his opinions on the show are 90% for entertainment.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/19 9:35 a.m.

It also seemed like the HD was more HD than usual if that makes sense.  It's always crystal clear but this time it just seemed to 'pop' even more.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/28/19 9:46 a.m.

I did like the comment near the end when they pointed out the diversity of landscape comparing it to Japan, Austria, Canada, the highlands etc.  Very true.  Would love to visit some day.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/28/19 10:13 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

It also seemed like the HD was more HD than usual if that makes sense.  It's always crystal clear but this time it just seemed to 'pop' even more.  

The Grand Tour is shot in 4k. So if you have a 4k TV and 4k streaming device, you get the higher quality version. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/28/19 10:17 a.m.
z31maniac said:
A 401 CJ said:

The Grand Tour is shot in 4k. So if you have a 4k TV and 4k streaming device, you get the higher quality version. 

To piggy back on this a little bit, if you have the option to recalibrate, do it! Things looked a bit gray watching through the app on my tv, but my xbox one X gave me a calibration option when I hooked it up and holy E36 M3 the difference in colors, contrast, brightness. 

Very much looking forward to next season being tentless after the Colombia special. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/28/19 11:31 a.m.

It's not just 4k, it's 4k with HDR, so yeah, on a good TV, it's a really, really good looking show.  

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
1/28/19 12:04 p.m.

I think the start of the Grand Tour was like the start of Top Gear but in opposite directions. Top Gear started off slow and boring in the first few seasons then picked up all of their antics over time and really had it dialed in. With the start of the Grand Tour it felt like they tried starting way over the top, and are bringing it back in and slowly finding their sweet spot. Season 2 of Grand Tour was 10x better than season 1, and season 3 (so far) seems like it's going to be the best yet.

Although I think the dune buggy special is still slightly better then the Columbia special, but it was still really good.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/29/19 10:41 a.m.
Stefan said:
DrBoost said:

Is this show still on?  I gave up after a particularly craptastic episode a few years back. It was so bad I don't know if I want to chance another go. 

I can't remember what the episode was, but it was one of the worst episodes of any show I've ever seen. 

Yup!  That was it. I honestly didn't think three guys that out out what I considered consistently good stuff could put out something soo terrible. 

Maybe I'll give it a shot. Are they still killing off celebs every episode and have The American on?  If so, it's a no-go. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/19 10:46 a.m.
DrBoost said:

Maybe I'll give it a shot. Are they still killing off celebs every episode and have The American on?  If so, it's a no-go. 

No, that ended after the first season. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/19 10:49 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

They got rid of the American in season 2. Abbie Eaton is their new driver, and she's good.

They did a celebrity head to head in season 2. Better than killing them off, but kind of bleh.  

This Columbia special was very reminiscent of the Top Gear days.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/29/19 10:51 a.m.

Caught the Columbia episode last night. It was by all accounts excellent. 

But Clarkson looks like he is going to have a heart attack or stroke any second. Some of that was sunburn, but jeebers does he look bad. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
1/29/19 12:06 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to DrBoost :

They got rid of the American in season 2. Abbie Eaton is their new driver, and she's good.

They did a celebrity head to head in season 2. Better than killing them off, but kind of bleh.  

This Columbia special was very reminiscent of the Top Gear days.

And they've now done away with celebrity interviews for season 3, i read somewhere they realized nobody really cared about interviews with people who, most the time, aren't really even car enthusiasts and they could spend that money on more car stuff that we want to actually see.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/29/19 1:19 p.m.
mtn said:

But Clarkson looks like he is going to have a heart attack or stroke any second. Some of that was sunburn, but jeebers does he look bad. 

Clarkson (and to a lesser extent May) have that weird body build where they carry all their excess weight on their stomachs...they look like they're hiding medicine balls under their shirts.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/19 1:25 p.m.
mtn said:

He's almost 60 and has smoked most of his adult life, and been overweight, and he drinks more than he should, by his own admission. It's not surprising that it's catching up to him. That may be what finally ends the show, when Jeremy can't physically handle all the travel and crap they go through on these specials. I think Ade is right about him needing the oxygen. My fat ass struggled at 12k feet in the Rockies, and I'm younger and have never smoked.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
1/29/19 1:37 p.m.

On the oxygen point, I thought it was interesting that he was on oxygen while driving up, but I don't remember seeing him using it while up on the lift for pictures or on the drive down.  

A 401 CJ
1/29/19 4:07 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
mtn said:

Clarkson (and to a lesser extent May) have that weird body build where they carry all their excess weight on their stomachs...they look like they're hiding medicine balls under their shirts.

I would trade every single physical attribute I have plus cold cash for that voice.  My god can that man ever narrate.  

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/30/19 6:48 a.m.

"...in the world."

A 401 CJ
2/3/19 2:51 a.m.

Watched Ep. 4.  Meh.  They’re back in the tent.  I think I’m done with it.  Might check back in occasionally for the specials.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RcrNXOcT3QNRyYAQ6gfQVvbUZlodGlhhTQuMmfUcuGfWXxBx5ODpqA2EAD93GbAL