1 ... 6 7 8 9
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/19 6:38 a.m.

I never did make it past the third episode of season 1. 

I'm going to have to revisit this I guess. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/13/19 7:25 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Skip to season 2 or 3 and pick it up there. Then go back to the earlier season and skip the Dumb American test rided and celebrity brain crush segments. Oh and the entire episode of the one they try to repeat some military exercises.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/13/19 8:15 a.m.

Just watched the Mongolia one last night. Ezcellent. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/14/19 5:47 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

They had me going for a minute there at the end...

I may be allergic to JC crying.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/14/19 7:14 a.m.

We watched the Mongolia episode as a family last night. 

Best episode we've ever seen.  Wow. 

The caption for the next episode says last of tge series. That sucks. I luke the new direction they're taking. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
4/14/19 9:28 a.m.

It looks like they will continue with 'specials', but no more tent, track, or 'conversation street'.

The specials are always the best of the show, so that's great, but I will miss the car segments and the track... it was always nice to see the cars displayed with such amazing cinematography, and the comparisons between cars that aren't regularly tested by major auto media.  Some of the interaction with the audience was pretty good as well.

It was very obvious how much the show has meant to them, and with the overwhelming pile of 'reality' garbage on TV these days, it was nice to see that.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of these three as they continue to travel the globe and meet up with the people who "haven't been insulted"!  cheeky

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
5/13/19 2:50 p.m.
Cooter said:
Brett_Murphy said:

That Mongolian episode was one of the best of all times.

They had a diff lock. Why didn't they use it to stop the hopping?

Because they wanted it to hop.  

If you look closely, there are times when only the front tires are spinning.  So they either did it on purpose, or there was a failure in the rear driveline.

so i watched that episode again last night and i caught something i didnt catch before. The car they made is mid-engined, so drivetrain behind their seat. What I'm guessing is they have the drivetrain in backwards and what i'd think is some custom transfer case that reverses (or with the backwards drivetrain 'corrects') the rotation of the driveshafts. But what that also would mean is that what would be considered the 'rear' driveshaft would be powering the front axle. that would explain why when in 2wd they were only getting the front end to spin, also with the drivetrain toward the rear and lack of weight on the front also explains the hopping.

Also with having a central driver seat, no trans tunnel (probably has the hump under the seat coming in from the rear), and the intake snorkel in the rear it's more believiable that's what's going on.

Like i said im not positive but i'm pretty sure that's the layout. The hopping was also probably 90% just for laughs, in 4wd i'd imagine that thing would climb pretty easy.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/13/19 12:42 a.m.

It's back! 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/13/19 7:12 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

It's back! 

Cool, Mandalorian and TGT tonight!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/13/19 8:49 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Sine_Qua_Non said:

It's back! 

Cool, Mandalorian and TGT tonight!

No way! I had it in my mind it wasn't going to be back until spring! Christmas come early. 

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
12/13/19 12:08 p.m.

Seems to be getting mixed reviews.  Guess I'll give it a go Sunday.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/13/19 12:15 p.m.

A tad preachy about climate change, but iy was fun. The last stint had ME white knuckled!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/14/19 1:09 a.m.

I enjoyed it and didn’t think it was preachy it all. 

Part of the schtick, but I was really annoyed with how E36 M3ty of boaters they all were. Get the damn fenders inside the boat when underway! 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/14/19 9:28 a.m.

On the whole I thought it was really good. My biggest issue is some of their arguments. It just feel like they're trying to hard like your average E36 M3ty build show.  The arguments used to actually appear spontaneous now I expect that stupid father and son with beards throwing chairs at each other.
I didn't think it was preachy at all. You have to remember it's made in the UK. The rest of the world has accepted climate change is a fact even if it's a political hot button here.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
12/14/19 9:29 a.m.

Is there any streaming site showing the older shows ,

I do not want to sign up for only Grand Tour......

Thanks

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
12/14/19 9:30 a.m.
mtn said:

Part of the schtick, but I was really annoyed with how E36 M3ty of boaters they all were. Get the damn fenders inside the boat when underway! 

Yes.  That was driving me nuts.  And during the last bit, they (especially Clarkson and Hammond) seriously needed a lesson in matching speed to conditions.  All of those boats could have handled the last part better and more safely if they were running them better, although it still wouldn't have been dry or comfortable for any of them. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/14/19 9:33 a.m.
rslifkin said:
mtn said:

Yes.  That was driving me nuts.  And during the last bit, they (especially Clarkson and Hammond) seriously needed a lesson in matching speed to conditions.  All of those boats could have handled the last part better and more safely if they were running them better, although it still wouldn't have been dry or comfortable for any of them. 

The point is they are all playing morons. Its a buddy show about three inept middle age guys who are useless at everything and bicker at each other. The backdrop happens to be transportation devices in cool locations. They're supposed to do everything wrong. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/14/19 9:35 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Thanks

LOL. You're not paying attention to the streaming wars are you.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/14/19 9:38 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

There's a fair bit of decent car content on Amazon Prime if you hunt around for it.  

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/14/19 9:46 a.m.

Thanks

Motor Trend has all the old Top Gear shows. They have other shows too like Road Kill, past F1 races and whatnots. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
12/14/19 9:52 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Thanks

LOL. You're not paying attention to the streaming wars are you.

You are right , I do not have a TV ,  I do watch a few things like the  Binky build on YouTube ,  but I do not want to get sucked back into watching TV 4-5 hours a day....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/19 9:18 p.m.

I enjoyed that. This is the new format of GT, and I think it will provide some pretty good content on average. I always enjoy the boys most when they're facing some sort of adversity not of their own doing.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/14/19 11:16 p.m.

Thanks

Paying for Amazone prime isn't all bad...besides watching shows, you can also use it to buy stuff.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/15/19 8:17 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

Thanks

Motor Trend has all the old Top Gear shows. They have other shows too like Road Kill, past F1 races and whatnots. 

Wait, what?  I need to find the past f1 races!

jde
jde HalfDork
12/15/19 10:42 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
Sine_Qua_Non said:

Thanks

Wait, what?  I need to find the past f1 races!

They have a $12 subscription special at the moment.  Content is basically Discovery channel build shows, international racing that airs on CBSSN, and MT content.  But good luck navigating the atrocious UI.

1 ... 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
69OCvykzJLZxiYwahwcdQp31qW96CNvmSKbyoX2WXbMSRpGB3lvRxmHF21d0QWUW