1 2 3
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
10/1/15 1:21 p.m.
feature_image

Our project Factory Five 818 has been completely finished. Now that our project car series has run its course in the magazine, we're offering the car to the world. The Bring a Trailer auction is live now with a starting bid of just $1. As always, we'd love to see it go to one of our readers.

Read the rest of the story

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
10/1/15 1:25 p.m.

Any questions? Feel free to ask. We'll be monitoring this thread, as well as the BaT listing.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/15 1:29 p.m.

I'm tempted to throw a bid out, just so I can screenshot that I'm high bidder at a BaT auction.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/1/15 1:38 p.m.

Just keep the Punk Kid out of it, right...

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/15 1:40 p.m.

I opened the bidding at $2015 so I can go to the Challenge if I win.

Ed Higginbotham
10/1/15 1:44 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H:

I just came here to say "It looks like a forum member just opened the bidding." But it looks like we already know who. Thanks for the bid.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/1/15 1:46 p.m.

I wonder how long $2015 will be the current bid. Tyler H, I like your style.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/1/15 1:59 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: I opened the bidding at $2015 so I can go to the Challenge if I win.

Darn, you beat me to it.

Tom Suddard
10/1/15 2:05 p.m.

Well, you could always bid higher.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
10/1/15 2:11 p.m.

Is it legal for California?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/1/15 2:31 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I wonder how long $2015 will be the current bid. Tyler H, I like your style.

Not very long. Already up to $5000.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
10/1/15 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I did that. My bad

Did not know it did not proxy like Ebay

I'm glad that is all i bid.

D2W
D2W Reader
10/1/15 3:04 p.m.

curious how high this will go. Others have not been selling very quickly at around $20k-$25k. And some of those are much nicer cars. Nice paint, better components.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/1/15 5:34 p.m.

I don't know every law in every state, but usually, as long as the drivetrain is legal and compliant in a state, the rest of the car is. some states sniff and use the numbers. Some states need everything to be original to be legal. It is legal in Florida and has a clean Florida title.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/1/15 5:38 p.m.

In the case of California, you'd absolutely need an SB100 exemption number. Without it, it'll be considered a new 2015 car subject to all emissions testing for that drivetrain.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
10/1/15 5:52 p.m.

In reply to kb58:

Thanks, Ill stop biding

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/1/15 6:28 p.m.

I think that it's got some historic value as the first one off of the line. That should add value relative to more pimped out builds.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
10/1/15 7:39 p.m.
kb58 wrote: In the case of California, you'd absolutely need an SB100 exemption number. Without it, it'll be considered a new 2015 car subject to all emissions testing for that drivetrain.

Conceivably a referee would pass it because of the high workmanship level and the presence of all the emissions stuff including the cat(it's still there, right?). However, if the distance between the manifolds and cat changed significantly, that might lead to a failure. High workmanship level and an intent to keep everything kosher work in your favor.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/1/15 8:16 p.m.

"If" everything is there, unaltered, yes, it'll be fine. But what a lot of people forget about is that the gas tank is part of the overall emissions system. I don't know whether that's part of the car in question, but it would have to be there as well. (This is for California, I don't know about other states.)

To GVX19, you don't have to stop bidding, but you'd have to (probably) wait until the end of the year in order to get a SB100 exemption form - they give them out at the DMV each year, but there's only 500. How do you think I got Kimini and Midlana on the street

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/15 8:18 p.m.

Friends of mine registered theirs here in CT as a kit car without too much trouble.

Tom Suddard
10/5/15 8:32 a.m.

Monday bump: bidding is at $8,000.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/5/15 8:43 a.m.

I would have given you $2015 for it

Ed Higginbotham
10/5/15 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

That was the very first bid. GRM dorks FTW.

Ed Higginbotham
10/6/15 9:19 a.m.

Two days left and we're sitting at $8,100. Anybody else think it should be a little higher right now?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/6/15 9:29 a.m.

Ed, I just came from the BAT auction page to say just that. A couple days left. I'm guessing the price will start heading up soon. At the current price it would be the deal of the century.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
al51dbq1D8WqoBlu8JPyBZ6wH5sBiUzKy00n1ws0PxTljdCzCBpoqotrsxcS2xmf