RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/1/18 6:14 a.m.

So I have the app to read digital version of the magazine. Just now there was a push notification that got cut off after "this app will not be supported starting on"

New app coming? Ending digital? Just curious what is happening. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/18 9:17 a.m.

I just got the same thing from the CM app.  Indeed, what's the scoop?

Actually, mine got as far as a date (12/1, IIRC), but there was no way I could find to access the rest of the message.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/1/18 9:48 a.m.

I got the same notice on my Android Phone.  Like others, the words of the notice were longer that the screen could show.  When you clicked on the message (with the intent of seeing the whole message) it opened the app.  From inside the app there is no info about this.  

So, clicking to get the rest of the message does not get you the rest of the message.  

I did open the app details and what I have on my Android Phone is version 6.1.15

Released on May 24 2016

Updated on July 27, 2017

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/18 9:56 a.m.

Got the same on my iPad, which prompted me to open the app again after a few months. I've basically given up on the app ever since we renewed the subscription and I seem to have lost access to the digital edition at the same time.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/1/18 10:00 a.m.

I last had the app opened and working just 2 days ago.  I was in Harbor Freight and by opening the app, I got to the ad which had the coupon for free tape measure and 20% off.   

Ransom
11/1/18 3:27 p.m.

I had a hiccup with one of the two apps and tech support had me remove/reinstall and update subscriptions and it came back.

Still curious about this apparent sunsetting of the app, though...

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/1/18 4:12 p.m.

The way the app's notification system is working (not working) is pretty much the whole story from this end: Although the interface is great for users, it's a nightmare on our end--and the app platform prevents us from really integrating our digital issues with the website experience.

So we are moving to a browser-based digital pub that will enable you guys to come and go from forum to magazine, etc., more seamlessly. 

In the meantime, the news isn't great: Because Apple and Android don't share customer data with us, we have no way to validate you for the new digital pub automatically. We have to push notifications to you asking you to come to us.

So once you go into the app, you should now see a banner ad that gives you the full message from the push notification, together with a code and a toll-free number to call for customer service (seriously, this is my life--my apologies for the 1990s solution) to be authorized for your digital subscription with us directly. Once you're validated, you can click DIGITAL EDITION to set up a customer service account for the digital pub; once that's set up, then you can go from any page on our site and read.

Here's the good news: When I say go read, I mean go read a lot. We have years' worth of each magazine online, and the entire archive is open to all our subscribers.

TL;DR: Get your code from opening the app, call 877-677-6878 with that code to get authorized, then set up a user account to read. You can use your same username and password as on the site, but you will still need to set up the customer service account as a new account. Check out our FAQ page if you have questions.

Margie

Ransom
11/1/18 4:23 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Here's the good news: When I say go read, I mean go read a lot. We have years' worth of each magazine online, and the entire archive is open to all our subscribers.

The phone validation sounds like no fun for you guys, but this tidbit is fantastic. I'm about to get back decades worth of bookshelf space that I've been not-quite-able to clear because while I don't refer back to old GRMs often, it does happen...

efermanis
efermanis
12/15/18 5:21 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

While I get that you have challenges with the current digital delivery app, moving your subscribers to a browser based magazine is a terrible idea. Not only is the experience HORRIBLE on a tablet with touch input, but simply reading requires an internet connection. Some of us travel and like to read where we don't have Wifi! Just think, our favorite magazine can have all the same reading experience as the weekly Target circular. At least the publisher and the digital delivery company can now farm and monetize our reading data. Yay!

I recall this happening a few years back with GRM, but it might have been just on the Android App side. I let my subscription lapse then, as I am likely to do this time as well. 

There are other digital publishing platforms, just because your current platform is lacking integrations, does not mean that all do. I know there are distinct issues with integration at GRM, as someone that has an account already on your PalmCoast site that is completely disassociated with my GRM and Classifieds account on your site. It is all just a mess. I mean, I just had to recreate my GRM account since the password reset function from this site doesn't work....

- Frustrated.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/15/18 5:57 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

Asking folks to call is not all that bad. As long as we don't have to start sending self addressed stamped envelopes to renew subscriptions, I am good.smiley

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/18 6:54 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Margie

Is this the news that I need to finally clear out all those milk crates full of old GRM (and AUTO-X !!) magazines in my attic?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/18 9:57 a.m.

I for one am happy to hear you're going back to a browser-based digital magazine, the old online mag worked so much better.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
snHDHSZER2NRVZAfKemDfcA87q06PvFKqXY4iVx8MkwdPKTahb3cVhvreDccHdw7