1 2
Racedreamer
Racedreamer New Reader
5/29/10 8:24 a.m.

I wish someone would make some nice LCA bushings.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
5/29/10 9:13 a.m.

One more thing I forgot... the front end is gonna thunk on you. The problems been traced back to pretty much all of the a/m bushings being too large. From what I've seen, the only real cure is to either live with it (which is what I do) or grind down the flat side. IMO, grinding a bushing is asking for it to fail, so that's not something I would do.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/29/10 6:22 p.m.

Wow. So the front is going to take forever, possibly kill me or those I love, and even if I do succeed it's going to be noisy. Where do I sign up? I've also read on more than a few forums that the aftermarket front bar does not really help much, and the rear bar is a much better addition—although their data is mostly gleaned from freeway on ramps.

So here's a question: Who wants to see testing of just the aftermarket rear bar before I test the whole set? It would delay the results a bit, since it would have to be done over two separate test days, but if readers are willing to be patient, I'm willing to generate the data.

jg

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
5/29/10 7:14 p.m.

I'd like to see it. All I see thusfar is heresay about that, and I already have both in, and did it all at the same time. Personally, I'd still do both, because w/o aftermarket suspension, the front end still likes to dive like a mofo, and w/ just the rear bar in, the car was a little too "twirly" for me.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
5/30/10 7:01 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: So here's a question: Who wants to see testing of just the aftermarket rear bar before I test the whole set? It would delay the results a bit, since it would have to be done over two separate test days, but if readers are willing to be patient, I'm willing to generate the data. jg

AWESOME idea.

Hopsonn
Hopsonn New Reader
5/30/10 12:37 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

I would definitely be interested in seeing the difference. Also, isn't there at least one update missing from the website? I thought there was something about a downpipe that was tons of fun to install.

JG Pasterjak
5/30/10 2:46 p.m.
Hopsonn wrote: In reply to JG Pasterjak: I would definitely be interested in seeing the difference. Also, isn't there at least one update missing from the website? I thought there was something about a downpipe that was tons of fun to install.

The downpipe article appeared in the mag but not online yet. I'll see what I can do about getting it in the pipeline.

Long story short: Good power boost, major hassle to install. I spent the better part of a day under the car taking stuff off until I realized that I was at a spot where I could easily break something, and if I did break something, the car would be a useless hulk in my driveway. We took it to a local shop that does some work for us and it even took them the better part of a day to do the install, and they did break a few studs that they had to replace.

Sure did make it faster, though.

jg

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
5/30/10 3:43 p.m.

Did you guys ever run into boost spikes with it? Did the turbo ever sneeze a seal? Rumor has it from the intarwebs that the DP is the major contributor to the seals going bad, and it's the major reason I don't have one.

Also, shameless plug-

http://www.maperformance.com/maperformance-rev3-intake-manifold-mazdaspeed3-ms3rev3.html

THAT. I have the very first one of those ( I got in on the development of it) and it's awesome. Fortunately, I didn't have to install it.

Hopsonn
Hopsonn New Reader
5/30/10 10:12 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

I would be interested in some video of this if it exists, even if it's just an after shot. My car's newish and under the factory warranty, so it'll be in the future plans, but i'd like to hear how it sounds.

What issue was the article in?

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
5/31/10 4:19 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Did the turbo ever sneeze a seal? Rumor has it from the intarwebs that the DP is the major contributor to the seals going bad, and it's the major reason I don't have one.

The turbo seals can go bad on an MS3 with a cat. converter as well, though it's not as common as when a downpipe is fitted. 2007-2008.5 MS3s have a TSB where a smoking turbo can be replaced for free under warranty.

The bigger contributor to the turbo seal failure, and something I mentioned in the MS6 thread, is that the PCV system on the 2.3L DISI motors suck. There's quite a bit of blow-by which gunks up the turbo, intake manifold, and EGR valve. My MS3 throws a CEL for the EGR valve when I fill up, but it goes away after about 1/4 of fuel is used. I am going to remove it and clean it at my next oil change. I also plan on buying an oil catch can to catch some of the blow-by. Here is an install thread:

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f33/how-mazdaspeed-3-catch-can-install-tons-pics-7216/

And here is the kit I plan to buy:

http://paengineering.webs.com/occkitsmazdaspeed3.htm

I like that it already comes with everything you'd have to scrounge up from the dealership and PepVanceZone. You can order the ancillaries separately if you want to buy another brand of OCC. There's also this PCV fix from PTP Performance, but I haven't seen any reviews on how well it works:

http://www.pt-performance.com/showProduct.php?vID=3&cID=4&fromSale=1&pID=260

There are rumors swirling that Mazda will eventually issue a recall for the PCV system, but so far Mazda hasn't made a peep on the issue other than it would have a solution by March 2010.

JtspellS
JtspellS New Reader
5/31/10 4:30 p.m.
RexSeven wrote:
mndsm wrote: Did the turbo ever sneeze a seal? Rumor has it from the intarwebs that the DP is the major contributor to the seals going bad, and it's the major reason I don't have one.
The turbo seals can go bad on an MS3 with a cat. converter as well, though it's not as common as when a downpipe is fitted. 2007-2008.5 MS3s have a TSB where a smoking turbo can be replaced for free under warranty. The bigger contributor to the turbo seal failure, and something I mentioned in the MS6 thread, is that the PCV system on the 2.3L DISI motors suck. There's quite a bit of blow-by which gunks up the turbo, intake manifold, and EGR valve. My MS3 throws a CEL for the EGR valve when I fill up, but it goes away after about 1/4 of fuel is used. I am going to remove it and clean it at my next oil change. I also plan on buying an oil catch can to catch some of the blow-by. Here is an install thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f33/how-mazdaspeed-3-catch-can-install-tons-pics-7216/ And here is the kit I plan to buy: http://paengineering.webs.com/occkitsmazdaspeed3.htm I like that it already comes with everything you'd have to scrounge up from the dealership and PepVanceZone. You can order the ancillaries separately if you want to buy another brand of OCC. There's also this PCV fix from PTP Performance, but I haven't seen any reviews on how well it works: http://www.pt-performance.com/showProduct.php?vID=3&cID=4&fromSale=1&pID=260 There are rumors swirling that Mazda will eventually issue a recall for the PCV system, but so far Mazda hasn't made a peep on the issue other than it would have a solution by March 2010.

There is alot of waiting and testing involved with trying to get the new turbo, i have an early 08.5 and the most they have told me is change to a syn. 5-40 (was allready running syn 5-30) and wait and see if it starts smoking again so i would like to get a new turbo so when i do the DP install it will not be nearly as hard as most people say! Although i am not holding my breath. BTW i would like to hear how the car sounds with the new DP going to the stock CBE.

JG Pasterjak
5/31/10 6:09 p.m.

When we were doing the track testing (at Ocala GP, which is a pretty tight kart track) I did get a nice puff of white smoke once after a few hard laps. It seemed more like a PCV-suck than a turbo issue, as it didn't do it under throttle. I also checked and noticed that the oil was a little high—maybe half a quart. It did it once, didn't do it again, and I haven't been able to duplicate the condition since then. My guess is that a lot of the alleged turbo seal issues are actually PCV issues. I'm not saying that the seals don't go, just that the PCV seems to be a much more likely culprit for this kind of situation.

Knowing what I know now, though, I will be ordering a catch can kit. That PT Performance kit looks nice, actually. I like that someone has done all the legwork and just sends a complete kit. He'll be getting an order from me soon (then I'll let loose the ad wolves on him).

And I'll see what I can do about getting some good audio of the exhaust. Next relatively wind-free day I'll break out the good mic.

jg

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/31/10 6:31 p.m.

Separate testing of the rear bar V both bars is a GREAT idea. Most vehicles, I'd say do both, but as hard as the front is to do, it would be nice to know what the easier bar swap gets you.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/20/10 9:34 p.m.

Resurrecting a dead thread.

So... any news?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/21/10 8:46 a.m.

There's an MS3 project update coming tomorrow, I think. I'm playing with the formatting to get it to display right. This one's about brakes, but I'll hit JG up about any follow-on testing of the anti-roll bars.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
10/21/10 8:53 a.m.

Ooooh, and I figured out the problem with my FSB- Stupid end link bolts like to back off because the bar is so huge. Aftermarket endlinks should cure this, I'll be looking into the Tripoint ones.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FV7oym9nGzfyFTCzi7tzuxjeAMhNFIBTIcjXdDSzuafjImpQhoRpCdifveucczSX