1 2 3
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/08 6:25 a.m.

Some of you think that since the US auto industry is tanking the Japanese will come in to save your automotive fix... Well the Imperial armour is not impenetrable.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aIbkwkK56i0g&refer=home

Looks like the bigger you are the QUICKER you begin to fall!

bruceman
bruceman New Reader
12/22/08 7:39 a.m.

Obviously this is due to poor management, lack of foresight, too many brands, poor quality, building cars that no one wants......

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
12/22/08 7:48 a.m.

Yes, but Toyota hasn't had a loss in HOW many years? Now, see the Big 3. That's why Toyota has said more than once that any of the big 3 going away will hurt them.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
12/22/08 8:08 a.m.

What people forget is that we have a worldwide recession.

tuffburn
tuffburn New Reader
12/22/08 8:23 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: What people forget is that we have a worldwide recession.

really? so, every country in the world is losing money? huh. if every one is getting poorer then that means that the worlds economy is doomed, doomed i tells ya! but no, the whole world isn't in a recession. just most of the free world.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
12/22/08 8:48 a.m.
bruceman wrote: Obviously this is due to poor management, lack of foresight, too many brands, poor quality, building cars that no one wants......

There is a big difference between forecasting an operating loss for the first time in 71 years and being weeks away from bankruptcy and requiring taxpayer money just to keep the lights on :P

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
12/22/08 9:33 a.m.
Armitage wrote:
bruceman wrote: Obviously this is due to poor management, lack of foresight, too many brands, poor quality, building cars that no one wants......
There is a big difference between forecasting an operating loss for the first time in 71 years and being weeks away from bankruptcy and requiring taxpayer money just to keep the lights on :P

Right, but, Toyota forecasting a loss for I think the first time ever is scary.

Joey

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/22/08 9:42 a.m.

meh. they've got the cash to weather quite a bit.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/22/08 9:55 a.m.

There might be something to that. Would Toyota be in this position if it had cars that were less expensive? Does every car need electric windows and locks? Sat NAV?

I read posts on this board every day talking about how people want a cheap, no frills, lightweight, RWD car with an economical engine. Toyota is quite possibly working on it but it's not here now.

We also have to consider how the banks were given the largest bail-out ever recorded AND STILL will not lend to the common man, who ironically will foot the bill, a loan to buy a new car.

A combination of factors.

It does speak to the times. Toyota would be pulling down great profits but due to the downturn is eeking by. The Big 3 would be keeping their heads above water but for the times are not having to ask for loans. A sinking tide strands all boats just as a rising tide raises all.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/22/08 10:15 a.m.

It's kind of like the difference between:

• Oh my god, the house is being foreclosed on, the car is being repossessed, I just got a 50% cut in pay and all my bills just went up 25%!!

and

• Hey look, my savings account balance went down!

akamcfly
akamcfly New Reader
12/22/08 10:35 a.m.

I was on the Toyota website this weekend.

8 car models 7 suvs and vans

Look at the 4 runner, highlander, sequoia and land cruiser - 4 large suvs! And we go on about GM!

What the hell is a Venza?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
12/22/08 11:41 a.m.

Damn! I never thought the Imperiar car manufacturers wourd get to this point. Guess it doesn't make the The Big 3 feer so ronery anymore.

Honda sales were down like 30% last month, and the Fit sales were down like 8% which is their hottest selling car right now too. When I bought mine I had to stake claim to it right as it got off the trailer, otherwise I was SOL. Now we have like 10 in stock and not going anywhere.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/22/08 12:06 p.m.
akamcfly wrote: I was on the Toyota website this weekend. 8 car models 7 suvs and vans Look at the 4 runner, highlander, sequoia and land cruiser - 4 large suvs! And we go on about GM! What the hell is a Venza?

'Yota imports what sells . If Yankees demand other cars, they are available .

My 16 year old 4 Runner still pulls the Sonett in style, AND gets 21 mpg if I drive like a human.

Sounds like Southwest Airlines... They have posted their FIRST operating at a loss...ever! Creative bookeeping to get in line for the gubment handouts

Bobzilla
Bobzilla New Reader
12/22/08 12:09 p.m.
akamcfly wrote: I was on the Toyota website this weekend. 8 car models 7 suvs and vans Look at the 4 runner, highlander, sequoia and land cruiser - 4 large suvs! And we go on about GM! What the hell is a Venza?

Not only that, but look at the dismal fuel economy of the majority of the Toyoduh line-up. I haven't seen anyone under 50 in a new(er) Toyoduh in quite some time. They aren't and haven't been building "cars that people want" for some time.

Let's see. . . I could pay $40k for a Tundra, that gets 13-17mpg with the small engine. . . or I could buy a new GM for $30k that gets 16/21mpg with as much power. . . . Gee. How about their minivans and "small SUV's"? They're a joke. Their quality is slipping, their product line is stale and they are doing the same thing that GM/Furd/Chry did in the 90's. Sitting on their butts expecting people to buy their product on name alone. We all see how well that worked out for the Big 3.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
12/22/08 12:23 p.m.

i was looking at the fj cruiser on a whim a while back, but WTF? to get the 6 speed manual, you have to have full time 4wd, and it gets 19mpg highway. the only way to get part time 4x4 is with the auto and even then it only gets 20 or so.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/22/08 12:40 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Not only that, but look at the dismal fuel economy of the majority of the Toyoduh line-up. I haven't seen anyone under 50 in a new(er) Toyoduh in quite some time. They aren't and haven't been building "cars that people want" for some time. Let's see. . . I could pay $40k for a Tundra, that gets 13-17mpg with the small engine. . . or I could buy a new GM for $30k that gets 16/21mpg with as much power. . . . Gee. How about their minivans and "small SUV's"? They're a joke. Their quality is slipping, their product line is stale and they are doing the same thing that GM/Furd/Chry did in the 90's. Sitting on their butts expecting people to buy their product on name alone. We all see how well that worked out for the Big 3.

dear bob...

toyota hasn't taken my money because they cannot run a business. Therefore toyota> big 3.

have a nice week.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
12/22/08 12:43 p.m.

^ Huh? That makes no sense. Care to explain?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/08 12:43 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: There might be something to that. Would Toyota be in this position if it had cars that were less expensive? Does every car need electric windows and locks? Sat NAV? I read posts on this board every day talking about how people want a cheap, no frills, lightweight, RWD car with an economical engine. Toyota is quite possibly working on it but it's not here now.

Auto enthusiasts always say that, but then never follow through. The original Miata was available without a radio! But it was the upmarket versions that sold, so the car wandered up and more and more toys became standard equipment. Although it's more interesting to note that, when you take inflation into account, a 2007 Miata costs the same as a 1990 Miata did - without the radio.

I am amazed, though. 71 years of profit! Good job Toyota. I'm not too worried about them.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
12/22/08 12:50 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: ^ Huh? That makes no sense. Care to explain?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081220/AUTO01/812200418/1148/AUTO01

see 17.4B in loans. + 3B in loans from Canada..

how much you want to bet they get paid back..

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/22/08 1:45 p.m.

Am I the only one who thought of this after reading the title?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
12/22/08 1:47 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: ^ Huh? That makes no sense. Care to explain?
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081220/AUTO01/812200418/1148/AUTO01 see 17.4B in loans. + 3B in loans from Canada.. how much you want to bet they get paid back..

Ok, and that has what to do with Toyotas product line and declining product quality?

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
12/22/08 2:07 p.m.

Toyota is a fundamentally sound company verses the likes of the big 3. So what if they lost some money, if you notice toyota has a good head on its shoulders as far as doing the whole hybrid car thing. I don't like hybrids I think they are lame, but driving a car that gets 17mpg highway isn't the way of the future.

Lets not say that gm, ford, and chrysler don't have good engineers, they developed many of these technologies that the japanese have utilized. My dad was saying people have been talking about alternative energy since the 70s, but never brought the technologies to fruition.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
12/22/08 2:08 p.m.

I also forgot to mention that I stopped liking Toyota when the ditched the GT-Four Celica (mid 90s one with like 4 headlights) and then the last Celica they made was more suited for teenage girls, then ditching the Celica all together.

And what about the Tercel STD? Who wouldn't want a economical car like that?

Tercel STD

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/22/08 2:19 p.m.

71 straight years of making a profit speaks volumes for the company's management, they will weather this storm well.

Unlike the Big 3, Toyota kept their labor costs in line by not knuckling under to the UAW yet still treating their employees well.

Toyota has also acknowledged when they have goofed and taken steps to make it right, like the Tacoma frame problem. Detroit has to be threatened in order for them to fix their goofs, they have treated their customers like they were enemies (believe me, I have seen that first hand!) and now they want those same people (we the US taxpayers) to bail them out. Kinda leaves a bad taste.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
12/22/08 2:34 p.m.

Are you for real? Toyota hides it's problems under the rug so no one knows. Geesh. . . what about the 3.0L sludging? The camry's that popped head gaskets faster than a first gen neon? Hear about those in the mainstream? Nope.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Fb4zVlL0cgn2r7P7lauMgNLYlocdfNhmVjptFOkZ0VfGtPpGqTUHfc74pM8EIez