1 2 3
93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/16/12 9:54 a.m.

There is only one thing to do with that car. Dirt track racing or chump car.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 10:26 a.m.
dculberson wrote: I'm not asking you to part it out, I'm asking you to buy my Quad4 CRX and do the manual swap to it. ;-)

I would, but after my mom wanted to know what happened on Top Gear USA one night, and I told her A CRX Crumpled like an accordion, she doesn't really trust older Hondas.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 10:28 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: There is only one thing to do with that car. Dirt track racing or chump car.

Or drive it like I stole it until the engine comes off it's mounts, and the transmission's cracked, then add new mounts, seal the tranny, and do it all over again.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
5/16/12 10:32 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote:
dculberson wrote: I'm not asking you to part it out, I'm asking you to buy my Quad4 CRX and do the manual swap to it. ;-)
I would, but after my mom wanted to know what happened on Top Gear USA one night, and I told her A CRX Crumpled like an accordion, she doesn't really trust older Hondas.

Oops! Don't show mom this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuQta-Ftwy8

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 10:34 a.m.
ShadowSix wrote:
snap_understeer wrote:
Oops! Don't show mommy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuQta-Ftwy8

It doesn't look too bad.

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
5/16/12 10:46 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to snap_understeer: Why the hell would put premium gas in that POS?
Because Ethanol ruins the fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines, etc on cars before 2004. I learned that the hard way.

Where's that automotive myths thread? Sorry to pile on, but I'm really curious where you got the magic year of 2004? I've also never had a car that new, and never had ethanol related issues.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 10:48 a.m.
16vCorey wrote:
snap_understeer wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to snap_understeer: Why the hell would put premium gas in that POS?
Because Ethanol ruins the fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines, etc on cars before 2004. I learned that the hard way.
Where's that automotive myths thread? Sorry to pile on, but I'm really curious where you got the magic year of 2004? I've also never had a car that new, and never had ethanol related issues.

Let's just say that I have a guy on the inside of GM.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/16/12 10:49 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote:
ShadowSix wrote: Oops! Don't show mommy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuQta-Ftwy8
It doesn't look too bad.

???

"OVERALL EVALUATION: Poor"

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Reader
5/16/12 10:50 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote: Or drive it like I stole it until the engine comes off it's mounts, and the transmission's cracked, then scrap it and call it $30 worth of fun

fixed that for you.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 10:53 a.m.
xflowgolf wrote:
snap_understeer wrote: Or drive it like I stole it until the engine comes off it's mounts, and the transmission's cracked, then scrap it and call it $30 worth of fun
fixed that for you.

Have you ever tried to kill a Cavalier? It's almost impossible. also, I hold the miracle of industrial-strength High-temperature aircraft tape.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/16/12 10:58 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote:
16vCorey wrote: Where's that automotive myths thread? Sorry to pile on, but I'm really curious where you got the magic year of 2004? I've also never had a car that new, and never had ethanol related issues.

That's unintentionally hilarious.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 12:18 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
snap_understeer wrote:
16vCorey wrote: Where's that automotive myths thread? Sorry to pile on, but I'm really curious where you got the magic year of 2004? I've also never had a car that new, and never had ethanol related issues.
That's unintentionally hilarious.

Holy E36M3! I got it! HAHAHA

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/12 1:35 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Does that have the "twin cam" engine? (The descendent of the quad4) If so then it would be an awesome donor for a 5-speed swap for my Quad4 CRX.

HA!

Exactly what I was wondering....

Sounds like a sweet deal for a DD you'll never have to worry about though.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/16/12 2:09 p.m.

Pics Are Live:

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
5/16/12 2:26 p.m.
snap_understeer wrote: Why don't we just close the door on the ethanol debate. I think you guys are right. The 02 sensors in early VVT-i Siennas were terrible, and ethanol has been around as long as this Cavalier. Case Closed

except they weren't o2 sensors IIRC, they are air/fuel ratio sensors. They work slightly differently and don't interchange.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
5/16/12 8:02 p.m.

scrappers pay $300 around here for any old car.

looks like a pushrod 2.2 cavy to me. they're like cockroaches. nobody wants them, but they're hard to kill.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/16/12 8:43 p.m.
snap_understeer wrote:
xflowgolf wrote:
fixed that for you.
Have you ever tried to kill a Cavalier? It's almost impossible. also, I hold the miracle of industrial-strength High-temperature aircraft tape.

That's why I wouldn't bother with premium. I'm pretty sure it will run on Mountain Dew in an emergency. I have had mine now for about 6 years and inspite of being neglegted and beaten it doesn't miss a beat.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
5/16/12 9:19 p.m.

cavalier + rallycross = fun ensues. It's the only place you can make that car feel fast and do fun things.

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo HalfDork
5/16/12 10:44 p.m.
snap_understeer wrote:
ShadowSix wrote:
snap_understeer wrote:
Oops! Don't show mommy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuQta-Ftwy8
It doesn't look too bad.

Scary! You have nothing on the 50s

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
5/17/12 1:44 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Ethanol is not mandated in any grades of Ontario gas. They must maintain an average, and it can be found in all grades, including some premium. Actually finding out who uses what is almost impossible.

Shell absolutely, 100% has ZERO ethanol in their 91 vpower. It says so on the pump, and shell.ca confirms it.

Shell 87 = 10% ethanol Shell 89 = 5% ethanol Shell 91 = 0% ethanol

Typically, it seems like Shell fuel (out in Alberta anyways) is THE fuel dyno operators/tuners suggest. It is almost always shown to have less counts of knock (all other variables equal) compared to Husky 94. AFAIK, Husky 94 is basically a pure 0% ethanol 91 octane fuel that is then mixed with 10% ethanol. Most cars tend to run quite poorly on it, and (obviously) get terrible gas mileage.

Running 89 would be worth it in a Firefly I'd think if you advanced the snot out of the timing.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/17/12 5:51 a.m.

Why would anyone want to buy a CRX with an inferior engine?

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/17/12 9:31 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:

Apparently nobody does! :(

procker
procker Reader
5/17/12 11:51 a.m.

Carkid1989 and I bought a cheap coupe with the intent of putting a v6 from a malibu in it..never happened. But, it was a decent car. Tip, it's a super easy to strip out the interior and clean the inside out. I mean, headliner, carpets, seats, plastic panels, everything. And it's a super easy to hate on them but dead reliable.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/17/12 11:59 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
bravenrace wrote:

I do, but I really shouldn't.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/17/12 12:04 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
dculberson wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
I do, but I really shouldn't.

I'll give you the CRX and $500 in trade for the 740 wagon ..

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y0WTb4F5At1X3XkmJ1pINyaadOd2XxChZekzcp7iytWDzg1iCh0VR9Uy03OiZtdk