1 2
BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
9/7/15 11:43 a.m.

This will be an unapologetic winter beater so the Bimmer can avoid the winter salt. I've got a set of almost new Blizzaks to fit those wheels. Highlights: Recent engine replacement (DOHC 16 valve from a crate, not a junkyard) and almost everything on the front axle was replaced when the engine went in so this thing should run forever.

It's got a little trailer hitch.

First impressions: It's a lot of fun to toss around and faster than I thought it would be. At least it feels quick compared to the other cars I drive The steering wheel shape is lame and the shifter feels like crap. Hopefully there's a bushing I can replace to make that better. The front sway bar is massive compared to the tiny one in the back.

I think rallycross will be in this one's future. That needs to happen. The next one in the Detroit region SCCA is October 24th. I'd like to at least be there to watch and see how things work.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/7/15 11:55 a.m.

Good little cars.. just check the oil, and you will be fine.. Here is my currently daily. DOHC automatic.  photo IMG_3048_zpsmzospprh.jpg

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
9/7/15 12:10 p.m.

Why am I now searching craigslist for Saturns? What sorcery is this?

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
9/7/15 12:12 p.m.

Cool! I saw that one on craigslist when I was looking for a winter beater. Apparently it has a brand new motor. When auto-crossing, keep in mind that Saturns don't like wheel spin. The differential pin may pop out and punch a hole in the case.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
9/7/15 12:17 p.m.
fujioko wrote: Saturns don't like wheel spin. The differential pin may pop out and punch a hole in the case.

...good to know.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
9/7/15 11:29 p.m.
fujioko wrote: Cool! I saw that one on craigslist when I was looking for a winter beater. Apparently it has a brand new motor. When auto-crossing, keep in mind that Saturns don't like wheel spin. The differential pin may pop out and punch a hole in the case.

i put a transmission in one of these for that very reason. weirdest part was the pin shattered the case but managed to stay in well enough the trans worked in every gear except 5th

Powar
Powar UltraDork
9/8/15 7:31 a.m.

When I put my wagon together, I used the shifter bushing available on eBay. It's a nice, cheap upgrade.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
9/8/15 9:22 a.m.

Makes me miss my sohc 97 wagon....

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/8/15 9:29 a.m.

Yes, there is a bushing to make shifter better. There are also custom rod-end cables made by Hein over at sixthsphere.com Supposedly they are way better than the stock ones.

The front bar looks huge, but A) its hollow and B) its attachment points are such that it is actually quite soft. Its has like a 1ft moment arm.

Billy, I am envious. I want a white 1G wagon badly. A 95 would be ideal, but at this point I'm considering almost any 1 gen I can find.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
9/8/15 9:53 a.m.

Man, a car that doesn't like wheel spin is like a dog that can't bark. It just feels wrong, somehow.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/8/15 10:25 a.m.
ssswitch wrote: Man, a car that doesn't like wheel spin is like a dog that can't bark. It just feels wrong, somehow.

Its an easy fix if you have the trans apart. Its not that it doesn't like wheelspin, its that it doesn't like spinning 1 wheel for extended periods of time. The spider gear casing gets hot, expands, and the pin will slide out. Its only held in place with a E36 M3ty roll pin. If you have it apart you can weld the pin & casing together. If you do it right, its plenty strong.

procker
procker Reader
9/8/15 11:04 a.m.

Loved my Saturn SL 5-spd!! Yours looks clean and sharp! These buggers do GREAT in the snow and winter weather. I had all-seasons on mine and never had an issue...can't imagine how the snow tires will be..what a treat!
Like it's been said, check the oil and not just at fill-ups!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
9/8/15 11:27 a.m.
procker wrote: Yours looks clean and sharp!

Until you get closer and realize the clearcoat is peeling and the sunroof was goobered shut I'm happy that the plastic is all intact though.

procker
procker Reader
9/8/15 11:35 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen44:

At least the sunroof won't leak!

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
9/8/15 11:38 a.m.

Just found this NMNA:

https://peoria.craigslist.org/cto/5210675575.html

If I were in the market I might snag it, they seem decent enough.

procker
procker Reader
9/8/15 12:17 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

@carkid1989 had a 5-sp wagon like that one, but in a maroon color. PM him if there's anything you need to know about them! AKAIK, they don't tow very well....his experience haha

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/8/15 12:22 p.m.

They are only rated for 1000lbs, but they tow that much just fine.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
9/8/15 12:33 p.m.

I'm thinking about finding/creating some sort of small enclosed trailer to haul around music gear and camping stuff. That type of thing.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
9/8/15 1:05 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen44:

The folks at ecomodder have some neat ideas for small, aerodynamic trailers. They have an aerodynamic template that's surprisingly fun to toy around with.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aerodynamic-streamline-template-online-tool-view-streamlined-extension-21952.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/teardrop-trailer-aerodynamic-advice-26811.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/project-aero-car-trailer-17210.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aerodynamic-trailer-design-30653.html

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/15 1:20 p.m.

My SL2 served me very well for many years- if I'd been able to find a cheap enough Saturn to fix up it would have been my first choice for a winter beater.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
9/8/15 2:47 p.m.

Saturn transmissions are cheap and plentiful enough. Just do whatever you're gonna do with 'em. If it blows the diff, swap in another one, but weld it up first. NBD.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/9/15 8:48 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Yes, there is a bushing to make shifter better. There are also custom rod-end cables made by Hein over at sixthsphere.com Supposedly they are way better than the stock ones. The front bar looks huge, but A) its hollow and B) its attachment points are such that it is actually quite soft. Its has like a 1ft moment arm. Billy, I am envious. I want a white 1G wagon badly. A 95 would be ideal, but at this point I'm considering almost any 1 gen I can find.

Thanks ProD.. I was holding out for a manual, but after several months of looking, I hated to pass in this one, since it was pretty nice for the money, even though it was an auto.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
9/18/15 4:12 p.m.

Dang it. The belt tensioner broke after a semi spirited drive around the block. What the heck... How does that happen? Hopefully that's not a sign of things to come with this car.

Now I get to work in the pulley area of a compact fwd engine bay. My least favorite thing to do

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
9/18/15 10:47 p.m.

they have a service life. You're unlikely to do the job twice.

don't hesitate to take other parts off that are in your way, you'll save time doing a bunch of easy things instead of one thing that's kinda akward. Come from above, you can pull the top motor mount, maybe the idler pulley.

Or from below, by removing the wheel and maybe the inner fender.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/15 12:23 p.m.

Yep, pull the upper mount and its not too bad. Wheel well access helps too. Do the idler pulley while you're in there.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6D0H5qh60S2C4i5NL8XCb52YFm2oMnVYoOjWM1IRZBH1mBnNUiK4CFm9NncH6g9V