Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
5/21/18 11:39 a.m.
feature_image

Virginia International Raceway hosts a lot of amenities. Besides one of the greatest race tracks in the United States, you'll find rally courses, kart track, dining and even a firing range on property. And after you've finished having your fun for the day, VIR makes it easy to relax.

No need for a half-hour trip back to your hotel. VIR …

Read the rest of the story

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/21/18 2:22 p.m.

Even better if you don't mind the noise they have pit lane rooms as well.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
5/21/18 3:21 p.m.

Does anybody have experience staying in the Villas?

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/21/18 3:35 p.m.

I have never been able to. I can never find when they are available during events and you would need to split them in order to justify the cost

Ed Higginbotham
5/21/18 3:38 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

I have a couple times.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/22/18 8:23 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:

In reply to trigun7469 :

I have a couple times.

What do they run? How many do they sleep?

Ed Higginbotham
5/22/18 8:29 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

Depends on how you rent it. Each one has a first and second floor. You can rent them together or separate. If I remember correctly, they both had one bedroom but the couch on the second floor is comfortable too.

I'm sure the price is dependent on the weekend.

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
5/22/18 10:46 a.m.

Each villa shares a common entrance.  There are separately-keyed doors to the upper and lower units within the common entrance area.

There's a flight of stairs to access the upstairs unit.  Once you get up there, it's an open floor plan with a big combo living/dining area and TV, a pretty deluxe kitchen, and a balcony with a perfect view of the climbing esses.  High ceilings, big windows, nice furnishings and decor, plenty of space.  There is a separate bedroom with queen bed and a bath that faces away from the track, towards the parking lot.

The lower unit is about half the space of the upper unit.  There is a sitting room with a couple single-occupancy pull-out couches, a mini-bar style kitchenette/counter, and a walk-out patio that's located under the balcony of the top unit.  There is bedroom with queen bed and TV next to it, with a double-door divider to the sitting room.  The bathroom is sort of wedged into the common entrance area.  The whole vibe is sort of a basement guest room or in-law suite.  Nice, but not impressive like the upper.

The upper is usually not much more expensive than the lower -- sometimes as little as $10 more.  So, I get the upper.  If I have a group of six, we get the lower too, and use the lower as a bunkhouse for 4 while the social scene runs upstairs. 

Or if the budget is tight, you just get the upper and put a couple people in the living room on air mattresses.  If you confine the upper occupancy to 4 people max and you're discrete adults about it, staff probably won't hassle you about it. 

The villas are privately-owned condos, so you can't treat them like some summer beach-house-jam-'em-in festival.  They are best used when I have a mixed group of drivers and socializers who want to stay, dine, and wine together in a nice atmosphere.

When I'm looking to get the max number of heads on beds for the lowest cost, the pit lane suites are my favorite.  They are kosher for 4-person occupancy, with two double-sized Murphy beds and enough room around for a couple air mattresses if I don't feel like sharing a bed with one of my room-mates (i.e., never).  There is a little mini-bar style kitchen facility and a bathroom/shower.  I really, really, really like having an air conditioned base of operations right in the paddock.

Prices and minimum-night blocks can vary a bit depending on the schedule, so I just have to call and ask.  For weekend events, things tend to sell out months in advance.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/22/18 2:56 p.m.

I have stayed in the pit lane rooms once, once in Danville, and have camped at the track in a trailer 3-4 times. Camping is of course far cheaper its usually 50 or 100 bucks for the entire event weekend

wake74
wake74 New Reader
5/22/18 7:22 p.m.

We stay in the Lodge for all the BMWCCA HPDE weekends.  Super convenient and give's my wife / son some place to hide from the on track excitement (neither has much interest), but still allows us to spend some time together.  We generally stay at the Lodge, and book for the year as soon as the schedule is issued for the year.   The only rooms in the Lodge you don't want, are the ones next to the stairwell on the right.  It sounds like you are under the stairs.

Stayed in a Villas just once, when I couldn't get a Lodge room.  Significant different in price, and quality.  Think of the Lodge in terms of a clean/comfortable road-side motel (with a great view), and the Villas akin to like a decent Marriot product.  Nice furnishings, a separate bedroom with a door for you and the misses.  Definitely a step up, but not enough of a difference when I know the wife is going to apply it to the car budget.

Don't forget there is a decent pool before the on-site restaurant.  I've never seen anyone there, and technically I think it's only for guests staying on property, albeit, no-one has ever asked.  Definitely a nice place for the family to hang out for a bit on a warm summer day.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4x17Kj6VMPpXENT6KK4kej376ixoKGxa2cZLQYc0o8YlGVC2Q2Khebip7yAUDIR0