1 2 3 4
oldtin
oldtin Dork
12/21/10 9:42 a.m.

Moving along nicely. The thing with flares - people don't see both sides of the car at the same time. Very few will be able to pick out differences unless you point them out. I like the early tailights - kinda wish they were all smooth - without the "box" on the bottom. The 73/74 grill is definitely better than the old one. For overriders - it either needs them on the front or lights to kinda balance things. At the back - with all the badging, lights, fuel filler, license plate - GTs are kinda busy back there. Not that you asked for my .02

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/21/10 10:08 a.m.

Yeah, I wish those lights didn't have the reflector on the bottom - but that's how they all look. So that's what I'll keep!

The grille is actually a mis-mash of parts. It's a 73 grille with a 60's badge fitted. I wanted the black background for the grille to make it look more aggressive, but the earlier black and red badge looks much better than the later red one to my eyes. That's a good point about the rear overriders, though - and it would let me use an Aston filler cap back there as well I might pop those off again and see how it looks in the back. I'd be happy with lights on the front but Janel's not a fan.

I know most people won't see the flare asymmetry. Heck, the Martini stripes on my Miata are asymmetrical as well, and I think I'm the only one who knows. Still, I'm going to aim for the best match I can side to side...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/21/10 10:11 a.m.

Lose the trim.

Keith
12/21/10 10:19 a.m.

I've seen them without the trim, I prefer the car with it. The GT has a lot of fussy little details, and needs them all for balance - like a lot of LBCs. There's also a step in the body there which looks odd without it. I might lose the small piece just behind the headlights though.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
12/21/10 10:37 a.m.
Keith wrote: Heck, the Martini stripes on my Miata are asymmetrical as well, and I think I'm the only one who knows.

Well, now we all know.

Keith
12/21/10 12:06 p.m.

Ahh, crap. Blew that one.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
12/21/10 3:35 p.m.

The flares look great!

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/22/10 6:36 p.m.

that's easily one of the most if not THE most badass cars I've ever seen. I've seen a bunch too.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/22/10 8:25 p.m.

Looks great, Keith!

I personally much prefer the 'spear' on B's. They just look funny without it. It was also an expensive decision on MG's part to do that. I can just see the guys at Abingdon looking at the original concept drawing and saying, 'Ya know, this needs a bit of help'...

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
12/22/10 10:29 p.m.

I'll see your V8 MGB-GT and raise you 4 cylinders http://ultimatemgbbuild.blogspot.com

Keith
1/3/11 11:26 p.m.

I took the car to work (accidentally causing a snow storm, it would seem) so I could put it on the lift. For those who are interested, here's a peek at the seamy underbelly of the beast.

In the front picture, you can see the stock frame rails cut off at an angle just behind the control arms. Everything forward from that is new. The new frame continues back to just behind the transmission.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
1/4/11 2:06 a.m.

Man, that looks good...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
13HFmMxQDcEa65akAF6oGUfSZmgzxoUFpjndpbZJkqOcC3toRWEymowp1hNK7mB2