1 2 3 ... 9
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/11/15 10:27 a.m.

Since we lost the Feedback Sub-forum and the recent influx of threads about the magazine, I thought we should have a dedicated Feedback thread for the magazine.

It would be up to the staff to decide if they want a thread like this, but I thought it would be helpful if it was a sticky and its right up top so we can always see it.

So what say ye?

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
2/11/15 10:48 a.m.

I think this is a good idea. I'll make it a sticky.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/11/15 3:24 p.m.

Good deal!

So I had an idea. What if you guys dedicated a two pages to a Readers Ride Feature and every or every other issue highlight a readers car that is either complete or near completion (i.e. completely driveable, just needs paint, etc.) Get some good pics and a write up.

I always see the one of the bottom of the page, but I always thought it would be cool to have a Readers car featured like an actual article.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
2/11/15 4:02 p.m.

I, for one, miss the "Feedback" forum.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
2/12/15 10:41 a.m.

A feedback thread would also be helpful for CM as well. But this thread will suffice. ( I will be completely upbeat and positive with this ... after unfortunately initiating an ugly poo-storm on some other thread last month. Never again!) My comments relate solely to CM. My humble suggestions:

1. The crew already makes a lot of road trips to get first-hand knowledge of vintage racing events and occasionally participates (The Mitty, Monterey Historics, Watkins Glen and Lime Rock Vintage events, etc.) That's good. I suggest selecting a low level participant (dare I say "grassroots?") from each event and write a feature article on car and driver: how they became involved in competition, how they acquired the car, their car preparation whether done by themselves or by others, their tow vehicle, etc. I see a lot of these folks at every event I attend, racing on a shoestring budget and sometimes doing quite well. I think that would make interesting articles.

2. Interesting, scenic and/or challenging roads in various parts of the country (excluding the overdone Ortega Highway, Angeles Crest, and Tail of the Dragon). I think Jim Pettingill did a couple of these for CM a while back and were very interesting. It would be nice to see more.

3. I like your occasional coverage of vintage rallies and tours. More would be good in my opinion. And if possible it would be interesting to read a story from a participant's perspective, if one could be persuaded to do so. And, as suggested in item #1, a write up on a car and driver from each event.

4. The staff's cars, and regular contributors' cars: I've seen this in other magazines. Octane does a very good job of it. Tell us what everybody drives and in each issue select two or three cars and tell us the status of recent mods. (I know Gary Hunter has a huge collection of TR6's and an interesting storage facility for them. It'd be nice to know what's going on with them without waiting to talk with him at Lime Rock once a year).

So those are a few thoughts I have concerning CM content.

M030
M030 Dork
2/12/15 3:43 p.m.

My opinion is that whatever you do, please stay true to your (grass)roots and never become TrustFund Motorsports. What made GRM good to begin with was that the staff was (is) living the real world car-guy life & reporting on it.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle HalfDork
2/12/15 5:31 p.m.

Where does GRM buy paper? All the other magazines are shrinking. They must not know where to get paper.

And by that I mean I'm glad GRM has only gotten bigger over the years.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/12/15 7:00 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: Where does GRM buy paper? All the other magazines are shrinking. They must not know where to get paper. And by that I mean I'm glad GRM has only gotten bigger over the years.

It's my favorite thing about the magazine--it's perpetually 1999.

I honestly don't care what they do, as long as they keep up what they're doing. GRM probably has one of the strongest, most loyal readerships out there. I'd feel guilty not subscribing at this point!

I will say--I bought some CRC One Tank because of the article about it. Put it in my wife's ~75k mile 2010 Fit Sport and the fuel mileage went up ~1.5mpg. Thanks for the honest reporting, GRM!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
2/13/15 8:18 a.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: Where does GRM buy paper? All the other magazines are shrinking. They must not know where to get paper. And by that I mean I'm glad GRM has only gotten bigger over the years.

It actually comes in on a giant train!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
2/13/15 7:16 p.m.

^ Thought you guys were just stocking up at Cost-mart for all the E36M3 you get with this gig...

Good idea for a thread rather than a sub-forum.

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
2/16/15 7:01 a.m.

One suggestion: Please don't sacrifice the writing for ad space as so many other publications have. So much of the media has turned into tweets and sound bites, it's no wonder folks can't carry on useful conversations anymore. I know mouse clicks and ad revenue pay the bills, but it's the content - the knowledge, experiences, and opinions of fellow gearheads - that brings me back. Not every story can or should be in-depth, but a couple in every issue is great. Thanks for listening.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/17/15 4:38 p.m.

How do I get a vehicle in Stuck On You?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/18/15 10:33 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: How do I get a vehicle in Stuck On You?

Good Doctor----- slap a GRM sticker on your car, and send us a picture--- there's a good chance you'll see yourself in the magazine. The pic needs to be high-res (300 dpi), and if it has your entire car in it--- that's best.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/19/15 12:25 a.m.

I actually have a complement. A while back GRM seemed to be filling there pages with the opinions of experts and very little of the GRMs staffs opinions were stated. There is a time and a place for the experts but what I really wanted to know was what the GRM staff thought about things. GRM seems to have reached a fantastic balance of there own opinions and there own test results with the occasional input from the so called expert.

I was very vocal about this a while back. As i said before i purchase GRM to hear the opinions of the GRM staff. Not other people. I value the opinions of the GRM staff. I am very pleased that it seemed you listened and actually tweaked things to get a great balance.

Thanks GRM. I did notice and I think it greatly improved things.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
2/19/15 8:01 a.m.

There are a lot of great threads about garages on here, and a lot of great ideas for getting organized. Seems like good fodder for an article.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/19/15 9:04 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote:
DrBoost wrote: How do I get a vehicle in Stuck On You?

Good Doctor----- slap a GRM sticker on your car, and send us a picture--- there's a good chance you'll see yourself in the magazine. The pic needs to be high-res (300 dpi), and if it has your entire car in it--- that's best.

To what e-mail address? Just the Contact Us e-mail?

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
2/19/15 9:10 a.m.

david@grassrootsmotorsports.com is best for that, and make sure subject line is Stuck On You. Thanks!

Margie

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
2/19/15 10:50 a.m.

This is more a request for the site, but is it possible to have CODE tags? It's come up recently where we've had some discussions about programming, and it'd be nice to be able to share code in a monospaced font that escapes the annoying carriage return tendencies of the normal format. I know there's the < CODE> tags currently, but they don't do anything about the whole new line thing.

Thanks, guys.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
2/19/15 11:59 a.m.

this is a test. <b>test</b> alert('please let this not work') see http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#code

Have your web guys contact me. I believe I have a fix for line breaks being so borked. At minimum, they should respect markdown's two-spaces rule, and they're not.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/19/15 3:45 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: david@grassrootsmotorsports.com is best for that, and make sure subject line is Stuck On You. Thanks! Margie

Thanks Margie. I'll send in the (not) car pic tonight.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
2/19/15 4:22 p.m.

No problem. He's on his way to Charlotte for MSX this weekend, so you may not hear right back.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/20/15 12:24 a.m.

Also, for Stuck on You, some tips, since it's kind of survival of the fittest:

Is the entire car is in the frame, including the front and rear bumpers?

Is the lighting is good?

Is it an attractive photo with decent composition?

Is the image is big enough? Our minimum spec is 1280x960 pixels, but bigger than that is even better.

If you answered yes to all of those questions, send it my way.

And, of course, thanks for running the sticker. It's much appreciated.

unk577
unk577 HalfDork
2/23/15 6:37 p.m.

I like Synthetic's idea of showcasing a reader's ride. Not all of us own shops or have sponsorship money to build and campaign our cars yet many of your readers have some very nice cars.

Also,I'm in the middle of the April issue and it bothers me a little to see a feature/review on a car surrounded by their advertisements. Leads me to think anything written is biased as the publicity has been bought.

Just my $.02

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/24/15 10:16 a.m.

unk577----we try to place ads next to relevant editorial. This is why you'll see the 24 Hours of LeMons ad near where we report on low-budget racing / safety ads near a story that focuses on safety, etc.

We figure if we place the ads near focused editorial the ads will work better for our partners. While we do sell ad space, we do not sell editorial.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
2/24/15 2:33 p.m.

speaking of ad placement … could you please put the HF ad backed by another ad, as opposed to being backed by an article … it has to be torn out and taken to the store to be used …and they keep the page

1 2 3 ... 9
Our Preferred Partners
HVWdm1MyVfWFcoEfoHCN5QmLKQUeP9SZ