1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/3/15 3:14 p.m.

Not sure where to post this.

If I look at my post count by clicking on my avatar in a thread I get 10,373 If I go to the dashboard I see 9,506. I don't know if that means anything or not just an interesting discrepancy I found.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
4/3/15 3:28 p.m.

Hi Dean, I (and a couple other forum members) noticed this right after the dashboard update. I think there's a difference between those two numbers for everyone who was a member of the site when the dashboard update was installed. Not a huge deal that's hurting anyone right now so it’s low on the fix list.

Thanks for the heads up, though!

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
4/3/15 6:55 p.m.

it WILL mean something when we get the leaderboard back

the only time I think it's affected anything, might have been for folk moving from one Dorkdom to another .. I noticed (don't remember who "fixed" it … maybe ECM) but when I went over 10,000 it didn't change my status … and I see that on my dashboard I'm still not there, but on my avatar I'm nearly to 11,000 … shrug …

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/6/15 10:11 p.m.

I enjoyed the feature in the new issue on the rally tire comparison. Obviously you couldn't compare ALL rally tires out there ($$$$) but would have been neat if you could have also run some Black Rockets (which are retread rally tires, basically) to see how they matched up, since they're currently the "budget" choice in the rallycross (and some stage rally) scene. I run DMacks myself, but they're pretty similar in most respects to the BFGs you used.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
4/6/15 10:18 p.m.

I'm only about 70% through the current issue, and it's great.

I really liked the salvage car feature.

The white GTI was a perfect feature car. I groaned when I first saw it, read the article, and ended up REALLY liking the car. I count on GRM to expand my automotive tastes (addiction?) and it did not disappoint.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/7/15 11:32 a.m.

When did it get mailed out. I got Classic a while ago, but not GRM yet.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/7/15 1:33 p.m.

Adrian,

The May issue has an official on-sale date of April 7th. You should be getting it within a few days. If not--- please contact us!

Thanks!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
4/12/15 1:47 p.m.

The May 2015 issue is EXCELLENT.

I am much happier with the overall feel/quality/style of the magazine with this issue than I have been for over a year now. Keep it up GRM

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard SuperDork
4/16/15 2:56 p.m.

random thought, ever consider an online advertiser index for the website?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/17/15 10:51 p.m.

I had an idea the other day. After seeing tuna55 Jr wrenching on dads car it occurred to me that we need to get the younger generation involved. And by that I mean kids like tuna55 Jr and my son who is now 10. This got me thinking and one idea I had was a car magazeen aimed at kids and early teens. So I asked Dean Jr about it and his very first statement to me was he liked cars and liked my GRM magazine but it was to confusing for him. I asked if there was a GRM magazine that was for kids would he read it and like it and I got a resounding yes!!!. I as the dad especially liked the reading part. Anyway I was wondering / thinking could a small publication be put together aimed at kids? Say 4 issues per year? I am not sure how or if there would be any advertizing interest in it other than getting name recognition to the kids so when they do have there own money to spend they will have some brand name recognition.

Advertisers would have to look at it as a long term investment not as a immediate sales boost. Anyway I would be willing to help anyway I can to get somthing like this in the hands of my son. I know he would really like it.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/17/15 10:55 p.m.

Talking with my son more he wants it called GRKM. I think he really liked the idea of getting something like dads GRM but it would be his.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
4/20/15 9:01 a.m.

First let me say that GRM is a great magazine, and I will not make idle threats to cancel my subscription! But I do feel the need to offer some constructive criticism.

I read J.G.'s generally fine article on the Golf R in the May 2015 issue and while I liked the relaxed, conversational nature of the prose, it had moments where I felt the author must be a foul-mouthed middle-school student. I hope that GRM will always be a publication of the highest quality, and one that I can be comfortable sharing with my sons.

I recognize that swearing is commonplace today, but I maintain that it offends many, and is never necessary. It conveys a sense of hostility and a very distinct lack of class. Imagine sitting down to dinner in a nice restaurant and being asked by your waiter: "May I refill your damn water sir?" "We have some fresh broiled flounder tonight that is truly badass." I hope you see my concern.

I do praise J.G. and the entire staff on a great magazine. But please don't stoop to the sophomoric use of foul language. Truly, you are better than that.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/20/15 11:02 a.m.

Duly noted. Though I guess I'm an aberration, because I would be all over a badass flounder tonight.

Margie

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/20/15 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard:

Today's flounder menu has two badass choices... an anniversary special Oklahoma City bombing over a bed of Tyranny paired with red whine or a lovely Police Brutality in Black America served with a smattering of Impunity (taser or hollow point, chefs selection) and paired with a dry white.

For dessert... which oil for a classic Porsche?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/28/15 12:28 p.m.

So apparently someone named Trigun7469 is tagging every car manufacturer when he starts a for sale thread. Now when I'm searching for Simca, I am see parts for mazdas, kart, and what not. There are some others too, not to only throw Trigun under the bus.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
5/1/15 8:47 p.m.

I can't find the search bar anymore? Am I blind?

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
5/8/15 11:50 p.m.

In reply to fritzsch: Top right, directly below where it says "Subscribe" it is like a dropdown menu

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/13/15 10:21 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In reply to Marjorie Suddard: For dessert... which oil for a classic Porsche?

You just stepped over the line my friend!

stroker
stroker SuperDork
5/15/15 9:53 a.m.

Is it me or is there a significant increase in advertising pages in the current edition?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/15/15 10:15 a.m.

It's just you.

We've reorganized the magazine a bit to help with readability. You'll notice that much of the advertising is now grouped together in "ad banks". We figured this would be more enjoyable to read than having the ads scattered throughout the features. We are always looking for feedback, so let us know what you think.

Thanks!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
5/15/15 7:03 p.m.

Has anything changed with access to the digital edition when one is a print subscriber?

The print issue still seems to be shipped out this way by covered wagon so having access to the digital edition as a print subscriber was rather useful.

Recently it appears that my username/password doesn't work anymore, the "forgot password" link doesn't work for my email address and the print subscriber verification page suggests that there have been some changes to the access for print subscribers. Noticed that with the previous issue, still the same with the current issue...

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/17/15 3:25 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: It's just you. We've reorganized the magazine a bit to help with readability. You'll notice that much of the advertising is now grouped together in "ad banks". We figured this would be more enjoyable to read than having the ads scattered throughout the features. We are always looking for feedback, so let us know what you think. Thanks!

as I understand it … the theory behind a lot of the ad placement had to do with the story content and applicable ads … but grouping them will work just as well

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/17/15 5:56 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Tim, yes, we changed subscription providers and some subscribers came through the conversion a little wonky. Call 877-677-6878 and ask them to flag your digital access to on. Sorry and thanks!

Margie

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/17/15 8:17 p.m.

I'm not even 50 yet, but I seem to be having a lot of trouble with the print size and some of the fonts lately, even after having an eye exam. In particular, a few issues ago, towards the back of CM, there was an article about the original cost of various classics converted to today's dollars. It was fascinating, but I could barely read it, with or without my glasses. I think that in some cases, it may be because the print is over a color background. I have trouble with the editorials sometimes too. The font seems too thin.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
5/17/15 8:29 p.m.

I like JG's dirty mouth.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Our Preferred Partners
JUI6qeFUZtPr4rM5na3lLzrE6zCgJOD9cAjv8ZwsL3XZIMbKBvNPfAEiaF1fiUax