1 ... 7 8 9
frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
4/6/17 3:07 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: I would second interest in this topic.
dean1484 wrote: Article suggestion: Technology and its integration into cars and racing verses the technology developed in racing and how it filters down to regular cars and even to non motorsports applications.

I don't see racing as being as relevant today as it was in the past.. (grassroots aside) Stock car racing that has nothing to do with todays stock cars (as they come off the showroom). Formula 1 racing that has restrictions (in the name of cost) that prevents the highest technology from use. Drag racing where pushrods are required in the fastest class?

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
5/24/17 12:13 p.m.

I was reading the latest issue tire test. Seems like a McLaren as the test vehicle and tires that are unavailable in anything less than a 19" is not all that grassroots, cool story though.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
8/15/17 12:16 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Article suggestion: Technology and its integration into cars and racing verses the technology developed in racing and how it filters down to regular cars and even to non motorsports applications.

I'm sorry but only in certain rare expensive classes like formula 1 does racing even approach what's available on today's production cars..

Trying to make racing affordable to more rules are applied to limit costs.. There are driverless cars out on the street but if that was done in racing nobody but a tiny handful of engineers would attend..

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/16/17 11:44 a.m.
frenchyd wrote:

I'm sorry but only in certain rare expensive classes like formula 1 does racing even approach what's available on today's production cars..

Trying to make racing affordable to more rules are applied to limit costs.. There are driverless cars out on the street but if that was done in racing nobody but a tiny handful of engineers would attend..

Say What???? Talking about a zombie revival here. You lost me. What about things like heat shielding used on headers and on car systems and ceramic coatings, The sudden advent of very powerful computers for short $$$$ in teh last 10 years did not come about due to the auto industry that are now used in cars and in turn there use in Engine management, BCM and PCM systems. then there is Nomax and fire protection. A lot comes from the space exploration and or fire fighting technology and science.

All of these were developed outside of racing and the automotive industry and were adapted to cars and racing.

Your driverless car example falls flat as that is specifically developed in the automotive industry for cars although it uses technology from out side of it that is adapted to do the task. That would not be part of the discussion.

Also who cares if it is for street cars or race cars. I was talking about cars (street cars) AND race cars. 99.9 percent of real people actually drive use street cars and of those that go on track I would venture to say that 99.9 percent of those are street cars not purpose built race cars (like F1) so your cost point above really makes no sense to me.

In short what are you getting at / talking about? You lost me.

bigben
bigben Reader
9/5/17 11:10 p.m.

What happened to the mobile version of GRM? The forum lists are all super sized and harder to navigate. Since only a few threads can fit on the screen at a time it requires constant scrolling.  Me no likey.

2.0dohc
2.0dohc Reader
9/6/17 1:01 a.m.

In reply to bigben :

That's how the non-mobile site is showing for me.

clshore
clshore New Reader
10/1/17 2:46 p.m.

Frankly, I really, really HATE the new format.

Harder to use, less information displayed, have to page/click/move more often to find what USED TO BE displayed on one handy page.

I work in IT, and I see this crap over and over.

The desire to look 'new and fresh and trendy' outweighs the basic USABILITY that we the Users need.

It's really basic fundamental human engineering, except you guys are applying backwards.

I'm really disappointed.

Bottom line, I don't visit or post as often.

If that's what you WANT, congratulations.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
10/5/17 12:06 p.m.

The new website layout is awful. It truly is difficult to use now. Posting images, links, finding threads. Pulling teeth is better and more friendly.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
10/27/17 11:28 a.m.

Really, really enjoyed the Delta Wing article; very well written.  Thanks for including it!

I also really like Tony Sestito's writing style.  Please keep him employed and filling the magazine's pages.

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
10/28/17 6:31 p.m.

What is going on with the "read the rest of the story" links that do not take me to the rest of the story I am expecting?  I find that I read the initial paragraph and the link takes me to...  The initial paragraph.   Or am I doing something wrong?  

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
11/14/17 9:24 p.m.

GRM article request:

Tell us >all< about the Beck 904 and also their GT2 race car.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
11/15/17 8:17 a.m.
noddaz said:

What is going on with the "read the rest of the story" links that do not take me to the rest of the story I am expecting?  I find that I read the initial paragraph and the link takes me to...  The initial paragraph.   Or am I doing something wrong?  

It should take you to a page that also has the opening paragraphs, but has all the rest of the content below that, too. Everything seems to be working correctly here.

secretariata
secretariata Dork
12/2/17 2:28 p.m.

Website question.

When quoting another post in the forum the "Smiley" link is missing from the bar located above the box for text.  Pourquoi? I was trying to add a smiley to a post where I quoted another member and noticed it was not available... smiley

1 ... 7 8 9
Our Preferred Partners
7zSAv7m35dKMmHH7sWoQhCB38m6CJAA2