Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
12/17/15 11:01 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/w6sxakg-nTk

... Wild. Lotus made it about 112 pounds lighter than the previous Exige S. And the 345-horsepower V6 launches it from 0 to 60 mph in just 3.7 seconds.

On a side note, this is one of the most Top Gear-esque promo videos we've seen.

Watch more videos

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/17/15 11:04 a.m.

I love how calm the driver is in all of that...

calteg
calteg HalfDork
12/17/15 11:10 a.m.

That video got my pants tight. Too bad we don't get that car on this side of the pond

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/17/15 11:24 a.m.

Has a road going Lotus ever had a V6 before?

calteg
calteg HalfDork
12/17/15 11:26 a.m.
RossD wrote: Has a road going Lotus ever had a V6 before?

Pretty sure the Evora is a V6

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
12/17/15 11:27 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Evora has a V6.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/17/15 11:30 a.m.

And if I'm right, the Evora's V6 is lifted almost directly from the Toyota Sienna.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
12/17/15 11:31 a.m.

Six figures?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/17/15 11:37 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: On a side note, this is one of the most Top Gear-esque promo videos we've seen.

My only issue with that is- why do people think that wheel spin and over steer = a car that handles well. To me, that means a car that handles like crap.

And wheel spin on a wet surface? Who needs 345hp to do that?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/17/15 12:06 p.m.
calteg wrote:
RossD wrote: Has a road going Lotus ever had a V6 before?

Pretty sure the Evora is a V6

Also all S3 Exiges are available with a V6.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/17/15 1:25 p.m.

Neat car.

Now can I complain about measuring downforce in Kg? AAAAHHH!!!

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
12/17/15 2:16 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Ed Higginbotham wrote: On a side note, this is one of the most Top Gear-esque promo videos we've seen.

My only issue with that is- why do people think that wheel spin and over steer = a car that handles well. To me, that means a car that handles like crap.

And wheel spin on a wet surface? Who needs 345hp to do that?

It's clearly marketed towards the UK, because they wouldn't know what a dry track looks like.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/17/15 3:04 p.m.
Tyler H wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
Ed Higginbotham wrote: On a side note, this is one of the most Top Gear-esque promo videos we've seen.

My only issue with that is- why do people think that wheel spin and over steer = a car that handles well. To me, that means a car that handles like crap.

And wheel spin on a wet surface? Who needs 345hp to do that?

It's clearly marketed towards the UK, because they wouldn't know what a dry track looks like.

Hah, good one.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
12/17/15 3:39 p.m.

A rav4 that sounds like that would be hilarious. A lot of people are doing 2gr swaps into mr2s, you can build your own version of this for 15k

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/17/15 3:44 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: 112 pounds lighter

Love it.

Tired of seeing manufactuers touting 'lightweight technologies' only to release another porker.

gjz30075
gjz30075 HalfDork
12/17/15 5:50 p.m.

I'm sure the wheelbase is longer on this Exige than earlier models because it looks so much nicer and not so stubby. Can't find the dimensions right now......

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/18/15 7:03 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Neat car. Now can I complain about measuring downforce in Kg? AAAAHHH!!!

We could measure it in supermodels, but that number would be too high....

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/18/15 7:04 a.m.
sesto elemento wrote: A rav4 that sounds like that would be hilarious. A lot of people are doing 2gr swaps into mr2s, you can build your own version of this for 15k

That would just be exhaust as you can get a Rav4 with a V6....

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/18/15 7:19 a.m.

So is this car going to be part of the GT3 field?

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
12/18/15 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

And a blower.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/18/15 8:10 a.m.
gjz30075 wrote: I'm sure the wheelbase is longer on this Exige than earlier models because it looks so much nicer and not so stubby. Can't find the dimensions right now......

Yep the S3 is bigger than the S2, longer wheelbase and wider track.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/18/15 9:24 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Ed Higginbotham wrote: 112 pounds lighter
Love it. Tired of seeing manufactuers touting 'lightweight technologies' only to release another porker.

Yeah, like the new Mustang. Before it came out Ford kept taking about how it was going to be 200lbs lighter than the outgoing model. That and the IRS was all they talked about. Then it comes out and they say "Well, we kept weight gains minimal" and now it weighs as much as the 5th-gen Camaro, throwing away it's one major advantage over the competition.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/18/15 9:30 a.m.
NickD wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
Ed Higginbotham wrote: 112 pounds lighter
Love it. Tired of seeing manufactuers touting 'lightweight technologies' only to release another porker.

Yeah, like the new Mustang. Before it came out Ford kept taking about how it was going to be 200lbs lighter than the outgoing model. That and the IRS was all they talked about. Then it comes out and they say "Well, we kept weight gains minimal" and now it weighs as much as the 5th-gen Camaro, throwing away it's one major advantage over the competition.

You know, I never saw anyone say officially that the new Mustang was going to be lighter. Except for the interweb and media people. For that matter, I didn't actually see any real official releases of the IRS until the actual release.

Just sayn.

Our Preferred Partners
DCLBycuIvEJimeht7c25uWFUYQJ8u8MU