1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
9/17/14 8:11 p.m.

In reply to dherr: I think the most recent discussion about wheelbase ended with Tim saying short wheelbase wasn't an issue.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/17/14 8:13 p.m.

Good to hear, but if I extend it due to other reasons or so I can run it at other NHRA tracks, any issues verse the Challenge rules?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/18/14 7:14 a.m.

In reply to dherr:

So, your question is, "Will anyone have any problem if I actually build my car to meet ALL of the rules?"

Can't see THAT happening!

If you do it well, I am sure it will earn you extra concourse points.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/18/14 7:42 a.m.

I am not trying to be an shiny happy person but the gears are turning so please hear me out.

What is the answer if someone would propose to enter a vehicle, purely for exhibition, that is completely and totally outside the rules and spirit of the event? For example; A long time, died-in-the-wool true GRM'er that cannot make it with his car this year but really has the itch to get down there flies into Florida and picks up something cool like a Mustang or Corvette at the rental counter.

I would never want to take anything away from the event or the competitors that I respect highly, either in time, energy or possible logistical issues. On the other hand, it could actually provide an interesting baseline to compare the awesome home built machines against modern, state of the art engineering that the readers and entrants would probably love to see.

I might not have my head on straight at the moment, but it is killing me to have the time and money but not the physical ability to make it this year. I should probably just come and spectate but I am not sure I can be around all that automotive awesomeness and just happily stand around with my hands in my pockets...

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
9/18/14 7:57 a.m.

In reply to dherr:

No issues here. Sounds like you thought this out pretty well. Have we received your entry yet?

Rick Goolsby
9/18/14 8:05 a.m.

In reply to tb:

There will be an exhibition class. Also we have been toying with the idea of having a Last Chance Challenge Class in which case if someone can't get a car or their build done in time, they can pick up a car somewhere on the cheap and enter it in the last chance challenger and be eligible to win that class.

Same rules apply, $2014 and under, but at least it gets you into the event and a chance to win a trophy. Let us know the story during the concours, like "I was on the way to the store 2 days before the Challenge and saw a Miata in a barn for $1200 and bought and got it running and brought it down to the Challenge".

Stories like that.

tb
9/18/14 8:08 a.m.

In reply to Rick Goolsby:

Thanks for the prompt reply; I know that this event continues to evolve and is very different from the early years.. who knows what the future will hold?

I just do not want to be the oblivious prick that I sometimes can be if not reigned in by my friends!

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/18/14 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Rick Goolsby:

Cool, we pulled the body off the frame last night and started laying it all out for the 2" of increased wheelbase. Unfortunately I won't be making it for the 2014 Challenge, but we will have the car ready to go for the next one. Hoping the venue changes that were promised last Spring will happen in 2015 as Summit Point and Mason Dixon Dragway would make for a great location and the opportunity to more participation from many here on the east coast.

Rick Goolsby
9/18/14 9:04 a.m.

In reply to dherr:

No promises. We did some recon and decided that was not the right time and place. Looking at a couple of other spots, but no promises!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/19/14 6:59 p.m.

Even rental tow rigs have run it just had to be teched

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG1bB-x3Y1w

tb
9/19/14 7:57 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Indeed... if you listen closely you can hear me at the 2 second mark simply comment "Really?"

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/25/14 7:33 a.m.

Hey Powers That Be:

I didn't say anything about this prior, because i figured i was the only one, but upon further investigation as to the thickness of my own paint (plenty thick enough) and this exchange...

Can we do anything about this? Not looking to stick you guys with a repaint bill or anything, but wondering if anyone would object to a basic repaint for $2015 without budget hit. (Run the junk through Maaco or spray at home) The car will be present for $2014 with the damage if anyone wants to look at it and give a ruling then? I can't leave it the way it sits long term, the doors will rust through (went all the way to bare metal)

Obviously, if any body work is done in prep for paint, those materials i'd count towards budget.

wae wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: This body/paint is a lost cause, especially after the $2012 vinyls tore enormous sheets of paint off the car upon removal. (How in the world does THAT work?)
Weird... I had the exact same problem with the $2012 Challenge vinyls on my car... I wonder if they used a different glue for that batch...
unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/25/14 10:37 a.m.

Now I'm afraid to take the vinyl off the Civic, they've been baking on there for like 5 years...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/25/14 10:40 a.m.

The first ones i took off that pulled the sheets of paint were on for less than 6 months.

I haven't taken the rest off for the same reason.

The car isn't NICE, don't get me wrong, but it is my daily driver and i'd like it to at least have matching paint like it used to.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
9/25/14 1:07 p.m.

In the past I had painted my challenge car then had rocks fall and hit the car from a ledge at my apartment complex. The GRM ruling at the time was that I could fix the damaged without taking a budget hit to bring the car back to how it was before the damage.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/25/14 1:11 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: In the past I had painted my challenge car then had rocks fall and hit the car from a ledge at my apartment complex. The GRM ruling at the time was that I could fix the damaged without taking a budget hit to bring the car back to how it was before the damage.

Sure... but that's hard to apply to 25 year old factory paint that was in 7/10 condition at best to start with.

I could make the case that another factory quality paint job would be $xxxx.xx dollars, and that 7/10 condition weathered pained is worth a certain percentage of that?

This particular car seems to be cursed. The turbo setup was stolen off of it years ago and the Lords of GRM graciously allowed me to replace all parts with equivalent parts at no budget hit.

As such... i'm not wanting to abuse this, but it's pretty much an all or nothing scenario.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
9/25/14 1:35 p.m.

fiing orange krush brake cliper holder

tb
9/25/14 1:43 p.m.

FWIW:

The decals also ripped off some of my paint last year; surprising since it almost couldn't get them applied in the constant rain.

Of course, this is on a 25 year old car's original paint and it only took off the color not the primer. I am not concerned since the bimmer has been relegated to daily driver and needs a complete repaint anyway...

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
9/25/14 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Karl La Follette:Love the Ratfink Tom sticker ! Bonus style points.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
9/25/14 1:56 p.m.

Would a coat of wax help save the paint ?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/25/14 2:01 p.m.
stan_d wrote: Would a coat of wax help save the paint ?

Doubtful. I have chunks about half the size of my phone down to bare metal. Really bizarre thing, never seen or had it happen before, and i'm no stranger to running stickers on cars.

There was a TON of wax applied to the car prior to the decals.

It's not so much that the paint was damaged by the stickers... it was REMOVED.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
9/25/14 5:35 p.m.

if you place your entry sticker on your shirt to remove the first super adhesive tack you can then release the Force luke

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/25/14 6:06 p.m.

I've had the same problem with the vinyl and paint.

My solution was to get some sheet magnetic material (the raw stock for magnetic signs), and stuck the vinyl on the magnetic sheets. We then stuck the magnets to the car (and could move them around as we pleased).

No more problem for the paint.

Only problem would be if it was a fiberglass car.

SouthFlaDelSlo
SouthFlaDelSlo New Reader
9/25/14 8:13 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I've had the same problem with the vinyl and paint. My solution was to get some sheet magnetic material (the raw stock for magnetic signs), and stuck the vinyl on the magnetic sheets. We then stuck the magnets to the car (and could move them around as we pleased). No more problem for the paint. Only problem would be if it was a fiberglass car.

Totally stole my idea!!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/25/14 11:01 p.m.

Knowing what I know now... that's a great solution going forward.

I'm wondering what my next step is to fix damage.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OySRypuJftPiAgvJuiDEIo2yuKVdIjazCpi0msSyt95wGH7ttFCeN63jWFJ4AYpi