1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
10/14/14 10:41 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

That's an interesting way to describe it. There has been a shift, but I wouldn't say its away from open-source. We're trying to open the event up, and show/involve you all in the inner workings of it. In the past, we stayed a few steps back and let things "solve" themselves on their own. However, that could cause huge blowups and anger between participants, protests, or all sorts of other negative effects. This year, we're trying to be involved in the conversation the entire time, and to fix problems before they show up on the grid. We're also talking about having another town hall, as that was a huge help for everybody.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/14/14 12:11 p.m.

I think it is easy at times to see the one angry person, and miss the 7 that walk away fulfilled.

Generally, when my wife steps in and tells my boys to stop fighting, she stifles conflict resolution and creative problem solving. She just makes it easy on herself, but my boys don't grow through it (which is sometimes messy). They also have no ownership of the solution. They just have to back down and do as they were told (even if they have a better solution).

Same thing with bigger boys.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
10/15/14 11:11 a.m.

Since most entry forms should be in by now, any info on the number of autocross runs?

I'd like to see 6 if there will be time. I say 6 because we would like 3 to set the tire pressures and shock settings, then give it to the Pro driver for 3. (Or if you are building your car at The Challenge, you might need 6 runs to get it running properly. :)

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
10/15/14 12:56 p.m.

In reply to spin_out:

I would say that 6 is fairly doable at this point.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
10/15/14 1:23 p.m.

I like the direction things are going and I’m glad you guys did the town hall last year.

New question I have is I believe in past years stuff like fuel, oil, and transmission fluid were considered consumables and were not a budget hit. Is that still the case?

spin_out
spin_out Reader
10/15/14 3:23 p.m.

Thanks Rick.

Last year Andy gave a little talk on how to drag race that also included a little safety information. It would be great if we could have that again.

My first drag race was at my first Challenge and the guy at the lights had to explain to me how it worked. I still have no idea how to tell when the run is over. My point is that most of us are autocrossers that could use some drag race instruction. I assume Andy would not mind.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
10/16/14 7:18 a.m.

Is there a trash talk thread? I don't post in them, but I enjoy reading them. I thought Matt once made a bet where the wager involved changing a screen name to Spank-force-one. :)

Rick Goolsby
10/16/14 8:01 a.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

Correct.

Rick Goolsby
10/16/14 8:02 a.m.

In reply to spin_out:

We could certainly ask Andy if he would be willing to speak on that at the drivers meeting in the morning or I think it would be great to have a separate session right before the drags that evening.

Tom Suddard
10/16/14 9:23 a.m.
PseudoSport wrote: I like the direction things are going and I’m glad you guys did the town hall last year. New question I have is I believe in past years stuff like fuel, oil, and transmission fluid were considered consumables and were not a budget hit. Is that still the case?

Yes, that's still the case.

Circuit_Motorsports
Circuit_Motorsports New Reader
10/17/14 11:34 a.m.

Some more questions:

1. If we have a fuel cell, does it need to be completely closed off from the passenger compartment? Can it be boxed? Can we just have a "shield" around it on 3 sides?

2. Am I reading the NHRA rules correctly that if we run faster than a 13.5 in the 1/4 drags race we need a roll hoop?

Tom Suddard
10/17/14 12:41 p.m.

Here's the track's rules on roll bars and such:

18 years of age with valid state vehicle operating license. Anyone 16-17 years of age must have a fully executed Parent/Guardian Release and Waiver on file. [available at the raceway business office or through SE Division 2 business office]
Driver must have a valid state vehicle operating license.
Long pants and sleeved shirt (no tank tops); Full shoes (no open-toe or open-heel shoes).
Roll bar mandatory if full-bodied car running 11.00-11.49; Convertibles running 11.00-13.49; Roll cage at 10.99 or quicker.
Jacket with safety rating of 3.2A/15 or 3.2A/20 for cars running 10.00-11.49 seconds or quicker.
13.99 seconds or quicker must have a Snell 2005 or newer helmet.

Tom Suddard
10/17/14 12:43 p.m.

And, here's a primer on drag racing, courtesy of the track:

http://www.nhra.net/2012/images/gainesville/how%20to%20drag%20race3.pdf

Tom Suddard
10/17/14 12:46 p.m.
Circuit_Motorsports wrote: Some more questions: 1. If we have a fuel cell, does it need to be completely closed off from the passenger compartment? Can it be boxed? Can we just have a "shield" around it on 3 sides?

It's a really, really good idea to have a full firewall between you and the fuel cell. Challenge cars have erupted in flames before, but thankfully nobody has ever been seriously injured.

The actual ruling will depend on the NHRA and the Martin Sports Car Club rulebooks, since they manage the on-track details. I'll do some digging, and see if I can find the passage. But I'd be surprised if they allowed a fuel cell in the passenger compartment.

Circuit_Motorsports
10/17/14 1:22 p.m.

Got it, thank you!

NicoleTropea
NicoleTropea Intern
10/17/14 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Circuit_Motorsports: I did some digging, and here is the passage from the NHRA Rule Book:

"All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves, etc. must be outside of the driver’s compartment and within the confines of the frame and/or steel body... All fuel tanks must be isolated from the driver’s compartment by a firewall, completely sealed to prevent any fuel from entering the driver’s compartment."

Circuit_Motorsports
10/17/14 3:40 p.m.

In reply to NicoleTropea:

Thanks Nicole!

dankimber
dankimber New Reader
10/19/14 9:54 a.m.

I think I read somewhere in the rules or postings that we will have 3 minutes to present our "project" to the judges at the show portion. Is this correct?

Thanks, Dan

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/19/14 10:58 a.m.

In reply to dankimber:

I doubt there is much science to that one.

It should probably say something more like, "After 3 minutes, the judges have the right to cut you off".

The judges have a lot of work to do. But some projects will likely get more attention than 3 minutes.

YMMV

dankimber
dankimber New Reader
10/19/14 1:22 p.m.

OK will plan on my 30 secs and life will be good. Anyone know their beer or cookie preference?

Tom Suddard
10/20/14 8:16 a.m.

Actually, it will be scientific. Here's the passage from the rules:

"Entrants will have a maximum of 5 minutes to present their cars and share their story with the judges."

Edit: Rule has been changed to 5 minutes

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/20/14 9:01 a.m.
spin_out wrote: Is there a trash talk thread? I don't post in them, but I enjoy reading them. I thought Matt once made a bet where the wager involved changing a screen name to Spank-force-one. :)

Teams who rely on the pro drivers will be penalized their dignity. Grow some sack/skills. :)

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/14 9:14 a.m.

I just noticed that the windshield on my recently aquired Challenge car is cracked worse than I thought. Is this going to be an issue with it not passing tech?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/20/14 10:55 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

Duct tape.

Tom Suddard
10/20/14 11:18 a.m.
hobiercr wrote: I just noticed that the windshield on my recently aquired Challenge car is cracked worse than I thought. Is this going to be an issue with it not passing tech?

Almost definitely. Paging Rick Goolsby for a final verdict.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DCFtiM9SYds8zJAkPqUoO6N1G8kU2p21Tt4B836llpTgYqifK2BilrUrvHPu8sGi