1 2 3 4
Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/09 8:31 a.m.

And you've got a driver... that's what the "best man" does, right?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/09 1:23 p.m.

i love andy for rules interpretation.

now to figure out how to get it to florida(without loading up the dually and getting 8mpg for 2200 miles) and start figuring out FMV on some crap i had laying around.

hooray for choice priveledges reward nights and hotel gift certificates.

heading out right now to mod header and stuff. taking camera with me.

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
2/26/09 5:40 p.m.
patgizz wrote: i love andy for rules interpretation.

See....I'm not just a pretty face.

JB, keep your comments to yourself.

patgizz
2/26/09 6:06 p.m.

no header work done. i got the bedsides cut down and stake pockets put back on, dug out the 1938 tailgate that came with it and it fits in the position i have the bed located, then i got a stroke of inspiration(think it was the 45 degree weather and working with the truck halfway outside) and figured out how to knock 5" off the front of the frame without touching the strut rods, and got that almost all done. while i was working a guy stopped by and gave me $65 for the intake and throttle body off the engine that i'm running in this thing.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
2/26/09 6:56 p.m.

You are awesome dude, I have to come by and see this brUTE, (Aussie for pickup)

patgizz
2/27/09 6:12 p.m.

who cuts up a brand new header because they were on clearance for $40 instead of $80?

<--- this guy :lol:

also figured out how to take 4" off the front of the frame without touching the strut rod mounts and that shortened it right up to where i wanted it. even started making a little round tube "bumper" like the spreader bars people put on 32 fords and stuff - kinda very open V shaped.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
3/1/09 12:21 a.m.

more pics! how about a full body shot...of the car

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
3/1/09 4:29 a.m.

I f you get that thing running by May 16, you should take it to the Jalopy Showdown. IT'S AWESOME!!!!

patgizz
3/4/09 3:38 p.m.

some pics from today, outside in the sun.

pushed it outside to build the front bed panel and fit the tailgate, make front bed mounts.

waiting on a radiator/grille/shell to show up, some valve covers, brake master cylinder (rockauto clearance ftw - $24 shipped for 2 new ones so i have a backup)

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
3/4/09 4:18 p.m.

Looking good man! That thing will be a hoot to drive around.

Bryce

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
3/4/09 7:49 p.m.

Pat. Youre killing me. Everytime i see updates i become more and more jealous. Now im trying to find a way to make something like that for a DD.

UGH.

NOT FAIR.

You got enough for another one?

patgizz
3/4/09 10:35 p.m.

i dunno man. as soon as this one is done the grand prix is being converted to RWD w/ LS1/4L60-E. then the 42 is getting a vortec 4200 and completely restored body wise. i have a pile of fancy stuff here that i'm not used to working with. weatherstripping, fender welt, kick panels, a headliner, and a bunch of other stuff i never buy for anything.

i have a feeling we'll be re-framing my dad's 48 fleetline aerosedan to an S10 chassis over winter, he did a chevelle frame clip years ago and set the wheelbase dead on but failed to measure height so it sits so low in front that he put in those screw in coil spring helper jack things.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
3/5/09 6:59 a.m.

that stance is friggin killer!!! oh, and I hope you plan to use all that extra clearance over the engine for a monster blower...Im just sayin

Wicked sweet man..keep it up!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/09 7:19 a.m.

Bet that thing will go left like nuts...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
3/25/09 11:27 p.m.

i know your busy but i really am itching for more pics!

patgizz
3/26/09 8:52 a.m.

soon,

i'll be moving it to its new home probably this weekend.

splitime
splitime New Reader
3/26/09 9:46 a.m.
patgizz wrote: i love andy for rules interpretation.

It's like the Fender rule... he had the fenders on the trailer with him... so it was close enough ;P

I'd love to see this truck out there this year. Each hint of other peoples builds or ideas... just makes me hope I can get mine together in time.

patgizz
5/20/09 9:18 p.m.

ditched the willys grille/rad - it was ugly.

installed 38 plymouth grille, used caprice radiator support braces to mount it back to the firewall and they were perfect. mounted brake pedal/closeout manual master cylinder from rockauto.com. brake lines are 1/2 done, need to buy more hard line and a couple calipers/D52 pads.

i'm itching to drive it and want to get a ton done(brakes, wiring, radiator) this weekend. i like the clean open look and have been giving serious though to bed mounting the radiator with electric fans.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo New Reader
5/20/09 9:39 p.m.

i agree with the above rules interpretation. in my opinion, one is only in violation of the rules if the said violation gives the contender an unfair advantage, or if the violation causes a safety risk. your truck does nether. it doesnt INTENTIONALLY circumvent any rules, it just happens that your choice of build style and construction methods aren't very well represented in the rules. im not even sure that 20-40's hotrod trucks were considered when the rules were written, but i kinda doubt it.

i say, put it to a contenders vote, and let all the registered competitors vote it in or out. whos gonna vote against a friggin rat rod truck? especially after last years V8 beetle...that thing was cool!

-J0N

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/09 10:24 p.m.

Looking good. How's the new house? Are we still on for August?

patgizz
5/20/09 10:44 p.m.
Gimp wrote: Looking good. How's the new house? Are we still on for August?

yeah. and if you feel like making it out before then.

you should call me this weekend. i'll be busy getting ready to scrap a couple cars so i can buy the brakes for the truck.

oh yeah, i gather you guys can see the firewall is done(it's an old speed limit sign turned inside out, i figured putting it sign side out would be a big "hey cop pull me over!" flag). the floor is done, made it out of the side of my parents old washing machine and a big piece of enamel coated something or other looks like the side of a commercial dryer that i pulled out of the 30 year old scrap pile in my dad's backyard that was there when he bought the house.

i'm going to make the windshield out of lexan. i need to figure out how to adjust the hinges on the passenger side door but it looks like it's going to be hard to get any of the hinge bolts to move.

seats? no idea. i thought tractor seats might be a cheap good alternative until i saw how much they cost.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
5/21/09 1:00 p.m.

Remote cooling from scratch, on the cheap, is tough. You're obviously up to the task, but fair warning that it is more difficult than it seems at first glance. Thanks for the progress update!

Bryce

patgizz
5/21/09 3:50 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Remote cooling from scratch, on the cheap, is tough. You're obviously up to the task, but fair warning that it is more difficult than it seems at first glance. Thanks for the progress update! Bryce

i've tried 6 or 7 radiators from honda(too small to cool a small block) to numerous GM ones. none fit where i want or just look goofy. i have probably decided to go with front mount just for simplicity's sake. i dug out the old radiator from my c1500 v6 and turned it vertical and it's decent enough that it won't look too silly - i'm trying to make it look non cartoonish or half assed in any way since i'm putting my whole ass into the effort. plus some flexible stainless hoses on clearance from summit will make plumbing simple - i used them on the belair 4 years ago and they still look/work right - unfortunately i paid $90 each back then and just got them for $5 each for this truck.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
5/21/09 4:04 p.m.

That's $47.50 a piece if you avereage it out... Ouch...not so bad.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
5/21/09 4:26 p.m.

FWIW, used aluminum rads are usually pretty dern cheap from the roundy round guys. Depending on your tastes, aluminum can be tailored to look a heck of a lot better than most plastic end tanks since you can either paint, polish, or scuff it up.

Bryce

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HUJvToug7tCOOBVsFXWu65hTwlEm6dtrqMfg5DjZvmLrNdG56CjS90ba1ZTRCEWw