1 2
NickD
NickD UberDork
9/8/18 7:44 a.m.

A third-part company is converting Dodge Charger SRT Hellcats into AWD, bulletproof, 707hp police cars. That sounds like one hell of a cop car. Granted, it is rumored to cost well over $100k, so I don't expect every department to have 4 or 5, and they aren't going to clutter the auctions for $5000 in 10 years. But, still, pretty wild. I bet Texas buys a bunch.

https://jalopnik.com/theres-now-a-bulletproof-dodge-charger-srt-hellcat-with-1828888512?utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow&utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/18 8:01 a.m.

How to make a hellcat have a 1:10 power to weight ratio. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/18 8:24 a.m.

Waste of:

hellcat

taxpayer money

they’ll probably end up in columbia protecting drug lords

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/8/18 8:28 a.m.

If you want an AWD Hellcat police vehicle, why not just buy a Trackhawk? It seems like the LEOs around here prefer SUVs over sedans anyway.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/8/18 8:38 a.m.

Ultimate?

You're statement is false.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
9/8/18 10:18 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Ultimate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxR7RYuF2fU

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/8/18 10:43 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Ultimate?

Am I the only one alarmed at the militarization of the police force?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/8/18 10:48 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

You're about 17 years too late. I don't even see a weapons turret on that one. Local state police barracks has a berkeleying tank they were forced to buy from the government, as well as 2 APCs now. 

D2W
D2W HalfDork
9/8/18 10:50 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Appleseed said:

Ultimate?

No you are not. My little town of less than 30K people got an armed assault vehicle from the military surplus program a few years ago. I have no idea what they think they need it for. 

D2W
D2W HalfDork
9/8/18 10:53 a.m.

Oh, and Hellcat Chargers for the police. That is the dumbest idea, and a huge waste of taxpayer dollars.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/8/18 11:15 a.m.
D2W said:

Oh, and Hellcat Chargers for the police. That is the dumbest idea, and a huge waste of taxpayer dollars.

Yep. Even a Hellcat is not as fast as a good Motorola.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
9/8/18 11:38 a.m.
D2W said:
Adrian_Thompson said:
Appleseed said:

Ultimate?

No you are not. My little town of less than 30K people got an armed assault vehicle from the military surplus program a few years ago. I have no idea what they think they need it for. 

Maybe in case of another killdozer

clshore
clshore Reader
9/8/18 11:50 a.m.

"Do not be afraid, we are your friends ..."

(little green alien from Mars Attacks)

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
9/8/18 11:59 a.m.

The mean green machine 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/8/18 1:51 p.m.
RevRico said:

You're about 17 years too late. I don't even see a weapons turret on that one. Local state police barracks has a berkeleying tank they were forced to buy from the government, as well as 2 APCs now. 

Sounds like my gta garage. Are they neon yellow? 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/8/18 3:45 p.m.

Send in the Car.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/8/18 5:19 p.m.

The ultimate police car is something reasonably affordable (because taxpayer dollars only go so far), very reliable (especially with idling for long time spans), and tough enough to jump a curb, or operate in snow/storm environments. 

Really no need for something ultra-fast. high-speed police chases aren't even allowed in most areas any more, and no criminal can outrun a helicopter anyhow. A Hellcat still isn't gonna catch a sportbike, And criminals aren't driving McLarens, they're driving POS things that any Crown Vic or Taurus can typically stay with.

Our extremely well-funded and large police force here in Fairfax County (with lots of highways around) pretty much uses Tauruses and Explorers exclusively for daily police duties. That seems reasonable. 

If this county was buying Hellcats and BS like that, good bet the county council would get voted out of office. Talk about wasting money. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
9/8/18 5:20 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Appleseed said:

Ultimate?

This has been going on since the passing of the PATRIOT act. Obama put a huge dent in it before he lost the senate and house- Sessions however, has let them go tits-out and has been a major driving force behind much of the counter-protests.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/8/18 5:23 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Appleseed said:

Ultimate?

I mean, it's not any more powerful than any other police car. Not gonna chase anyone down. Doesn't have military weapons. It's just to keep officers safe against a high-firepower criminal. 

I think our county has a couple surplus MRAPs. AFAIK they're only used for things like flood rescue or other natural disasters where regular police SUVs can't get around. I know they were used extensively in Hurricane Harvey, when roads were flooded and impassable, even by large civilian 4x4s, with live power lines, fires, and other stuff going on. These things can operate in those kind of environments - a jacked-up Suburban cannot ;)

It's no coincidence that a lot of rural police forces are getting these things. And unlike a Hellcat costing $100k, these are already paid for and costs the taxpayers little more than maintenance (they usually come with large spare parts packages as well). 

Image result for police armored vehicle natural disaster

Image result for police MRAP disaster

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/18 5:44 p.m.

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
9/8/18 7:04 p.m.
irish44j said:

The ultimate police car is something reasonably affordable (because taxpayer dollars only go so far), very reliable (especially with idling for long time spans), and tough enough to jump a curb, or operate in snow/storm environments. 

Really no need for something ultra-fast. high-speed police chases aren't even allowed in most areas any more, and no criminal can outrun a helicopter anyhow. A Hellcat still isn't gonna catch a sportbike, And criminals aren't driving McLarens, they're driving POS things that any Crown Vic or Taurus can typically stay with.

Our extremely well-funded and large police force here in Fairfax County (with lots of highways around) pretty much uses Tauruses and Explorers exclusively for daily police duties. That seems reasonable. 

If this county was buying Hellcats and BS like that, good bet the county council would get voted out of office. Talk about wasting money. 

Irish nailed it.  I remember an interview or show, might have even been a magazine article, many years ago where the subject of "police special" cars came up.  The gist was that, at least since the 50's and 60's, despite public perception, the biggest difference between a regular version of a car and a "police package" was a larger alternator (to handle all the additional accessories and lights), moderately heavier suspension components (for durability and to handle the extra weight) and most importantly, a beefed up cooling system. Also a special front seat, to handle the increased seat-time without falling apart.  If memory serves, it was specifically referring to the Crown Victoria, but I may be mis-remembering....   That happens a lot these days....  :) 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
9/8/18 8:22 p.m.

Anyone that tells you there’s a need for anything more substantial than an Explorer is wrong. At least in 99% of the cases. If they can confiscate a drug-dealers Hellcat and paint it black and white I’m all for it. But if my town spent $100,000 on one while my youngest daughters school was just on the news for needing serious repairs, I’d be at every town meeting from that day on.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
9/8/18 8:37 p.m.

I work for a large police department.  We have impalas, Taurus's and Explorers.  We are not allowed to chase anything unless it is a violent felony or a drunk driver.  There is no need for anything faster than a Taurus.

I am a detective and drive a leased four cylinder Hyundai.  The other cars we use for detectives are four cylinder fusions.  They are the opposite of fast.  The city bases their decisions on price, both to purchase and maintain and reliability more than anything else.

I am also a driving instructor for my agency.  Trust me we do not need hellcats, we crash enough cars as it is.. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/18 9:03 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:
D2W said:

Yep. Even a Hellcat is not as fast as a Tesla.

Oooh, burn.

sergio
sergio Reader
9/8/18 9:26 p.m.

In a chase I would bet the Hellcat would be crashed. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P9rkuc1cHoZ4NXbJIwf5z26JsEoCJYGQzLDjuTxglW1YaSiJnhOZrElfHNx0wVZq