Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/18 9:14 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Thank you for your service.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/18 10:13 a.m.

That's so silly I bet Dubai police departments will buy them in bulk.

I thought the Carbon Motors E7 was a decent realistic attempt at a purpose-built police car, but even that was a bit too performance-oriented and expensive (and also it turned out to be a bit of a scam, but that's another matter).

I'd say a realistic purpose-built police car should have a reliable and efficient engine of average power (a through-the-road hybrid powertrain these days for efficiency and redundancy, plus it could use a KERS-type boost in pursuits), Subaru-style suspension (decent geometry and ride height and tough enough for a little offroading, while capable of fitting wide wheels to give decent grip on cheap/common tires), and lots of high-tech goodies, which is where the real gains are to be had - I think the biggest improvement would be a built-in computerized video system to replace the simple dashcam. The potential uses are so vast they're a bit scary.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/10/18 10:34 a.m.

You mean like in addition to pulling up a record of every thing I've ever done, also be able to verify I have insurance without me producing a stupid little paper card from my wallet?  That technology is currently beyond state of the art.

GameboyRMH
9/10/18 10:48 a.m.
Appleseed said:

You mean like in addition to pulling up a record of every thing I've ever done, also be able to verify I have insurance without me producing a stupid little paper card from my wallet?  That technology is currently beyond state of the art.

I was thinking ALPR / optical car tracking and facial recognition run amok, passive radar tracking using wifi/bluetooth, things like that.

Pulling up your insurance info electronically? That'll come some time after the warp drive cheeky

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/10/18 11:21 a.m.

I always thought that small quad copter drones would be extremely useful in a high speed chase. They could stay out of traffic, but low enough not to become airborne obstruction. They could tail the suspect,  and relay info to squad cars. 

GameboyRMH
9/10/18 11:28 a.m.

You're right, as drones with onboard neural accelerators come down in price (so that the drones can fly autonomously in urban environments) and battery efficiencies improve, something like that will happen. It'll probably be something that can transition from vertical to forward flight like a tiltrotor since vertical flight is less efficient and limits the top speed.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/10/18 11:52 a.m.
sergio said:

In a chase I would bet the Hellcat would be crashed. 

Into some unlucky bystanders no doubt...

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
9/10/18 11:54 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Imagine Blues Brothers but with Hellcats.

cabbagecop
cabbagecop New Reader
9/10/18 2:43 p.m.

Will they be broke down all the time like the regular Charger Police Package?

D2W
D2W HalfDork
9/11/18 9:37 a.m.
jharry3 said:
sergio said:

Like at a Cars & Coffee event? That'd be funny in a sick sort of way.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
9/11/18 11:16 a.m.
jharry3 said:
sergio said:

iT JUST KEEPS HAPPENING

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
9/11/18 3:02 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Send in the Car.

Looks like the police have themselves an R.V.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
9/12/18 5:04 a.m.

It's a good time today for police cars - Hemi Chargers, LS Tahoes, EcoBoost SUVs. I've felt the LS 6.0 Caprice was overlooked.

Heck, now even the ambulances have monster torque diesels.

For those of you who watched the 70's movie "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry". You may recall a Dodge Polara with "an unlimited" top end. If you don't, now you need to watch it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/12/18 10:11 a.m.

On auction sites, the 9C1 is rarely overlooked. Most sell for $6-9,000.

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
9/12/18 10:53 a.m.

I think the military to LE transfer is through the 1033 program, as the military (as all govt departments) would have to either scrap or sell excess military vehicles through DRMO.  This allows LE to acquire the vehicles at little to no cost.  While I'm not a fan of the militarization of the police, the criminal element is driving this justification.  If all Americans were boring and committed minor infractions, the police would not be able to justify the military equipment (and the cost).

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/12/18 10:57 a.m.

Mexican cop “car” is the best.  Mid sized 4x4 truck with a light bar and two cops with AR-15’s standing in the back using the light bar for support.  Inexpensive.  Jumps curbs.  Shoots on the fly.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gz8xGTlnwUbu7fsvGGTs706VIB3AMQDodeEvDJEPGKksPjVYluhn429PE14VxoJM