P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/09 6:06 p.m.

OK, the guys at the AMC club found this, well, "thing". It started life as a 69 AMX (that's a 98" wheelbase, 2-seat, AMC sports/muscle car for those of you who don't know) and had a 74 Javelin basically mashed into it (the 68-74 Javelins used an elongated AMX platform and had 4/5 seats). So it has a 74 Javelin front clip with the bubble fenders, bubble fenders added to the short rear 1/4's, and the tail grafted on. Plus the 74 interior.

Here's where it gets weird. He turned the rear into a hatch (I'm guessing from a 73-77 Hornet as they looked awfully close to the Javelin roofline) ala modern-day Rhys Millen and the rear-engine Genesis Coupe. He also threw an AMC 304 in the BACK with a GM transaxle (auto I'm guessing). The price for this abomination that doesn't even run? $2500 obo... There's way more than a $1250 in parts on that thing that wouldn't be needed at the challenge. Take out the 304 and replace with a 360 or 401, make it pretty (think Mad Max theme here...) and I think, well, I dunno what I think but it's equal parts bizarre and awesome so I had to share.

Will
Will Reader
11/28/09 6:13 p.m.

I weep for the AMX buried in there somewhere.

M030
M030 Reader
11/28/09 6:21 p.m.

YES!

Mid-engine = better!

That thing is, if nothing else, very cool.

pres589
pres589 Reader
11/28/09 6:35 p.m.

Who ever did that to an early AMX should be slapped with an early AMX.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/09 6:37 p.m.

mid-engine AMX = cool.

hanging '74 panels on it = vomitatious.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
11/28/09 6:39 p.m.

Do it! I have been thinking along those same lines, but without all of the bodywork.

924guy
924guy Dork
11/28/09 8:23 p.m.

I want to say thats really, really cool given the layout and the donor car.. but i cant, so ill have to stick with "unique."

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/09 8:38 p.m.

You know, if you lowered the rear, mounted some vintage Campognolo(sp?) wheels & painted it gold, you could almost pass it off as an itallian exotic.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
11/28/09 8:46 p.m.

OK, I can see where the builder was coming from. Maybe tomorrow that thought will frighten me.

The mid-engine is inspired by the AMX III, the rear hatch by the original AMX concept. This one might have come off a hatchback Hornet too. And the work doesn't look bad in these pictures. In person could be a whole different story.

Didn't Dick Teague have an early Javelin or AMX that they installed the pontoon fenders on when they were prototyping them for the '71 cars? I'll have to dig out one of the AMC books here and take a look.

-Rob

mndsm
mndsm Reader
11/28/09 8:49 p.m.

People lamenting the loss of a vintage automobile aside-

I think it's kinda awesome. It's definitely a unique automobile, and as you said, it would make a great max max type candidate. If nothing else, I'd consider purchasing it as long as all of the heavy mechanical was done.

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
11/28/09 9:32 p.m.

I love it. And if you don't drag it home, the poor thing is going to the crusher. If you have any decency, you'll give it a coat of primer, a matching set of cragars for the rear and a new lease on life.

180 degree headers. You know you want to...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/29/09 8:23 a.m.

That hybrid sort of appeals to the mongrel mechanic in me.....

unevolved
unevolved New Reader
11/29/09 8:31 a.m.

That thing needs a Blitz Black paint job.

But I think you're right, that would make an awesome Challenge car.

P71
11/29/09 10:24 a.m.

The Teague car your thinking of Rob was his personal 68 AMX. He was trying to convince AMC corporate that the AMX needed to stay a 2-seater and save money by using his personal vehicle as a styling exercise. They kept the whole nose of that thing as the 71 Javelin but axed the 2-seater AMX, making it a Javelin-based option package (and later a Hornet, Concord, then Spirit).

There's no way I'm dragging this thing home. I just drug home a Hornet with a Green Vinyl interior fellas, if I drag home anything else ugly I'll have to live in it!

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/29/09 11:47 a.m.

Wow. If I were closer, had more money, didn't have a wife or kids, had more time and money I'd be all over it! Seriously, that thing is bad a$$ in the making.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps New Reader
11/29/09 11:59 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Wow. If I were closer, had more money, didn't have a wife or kids, had more time and money I'd be all over it! Seriously, that thing is bad a$$ in the making.

I agreee that thing is sweet

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
11/29/09 12:20 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Who ever did that to an early AMX should be slapped with an early AMX.

into the mag fo sho

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
11/29/09 12:46 p.m.

Hrm... this looks like what a drunken Mopar-fiend would come up with when taunted by their Ford buddies with the DeTomaso Pantera.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/29/09 3:58 p.m.

If anyone here gets serious about buying this thing-remember that you have to pay $2010 or less for it to be challenge eligible.

P71
11/29/09 4:11 p.m.

I'm sure the guy could be talked down...

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
11/29/09 5:06 p.m.

The idea is cool, but those front panels are hideous! The standard AMX bits would work so much better.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
11/29/09 7:18 p.m.
P71 wrote: The Teague car your thinking of Rob was his personal 68 AMX. He was trying to convince AMC corporate that the AMX needed to stay a 2-seater and save money by using his personal vehicle as a styling exercise. They kept the whole nose of that thing as the 71 Javelin but axed the 2-seater AMX, making it a Javelin-based option package (and later a Hornet, Concord, then Spirit). There's no way I'm dragging this thing home. I just drug home a Hornet with a Green Vinyl interior fellas, if I drag home anything else ugly I'll have to live in it!

Cool, I knew I wasn't imagining it. I have a soft spot for AMC's but one hasn't followed me home yet. Won't be this one though.

-Rob

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/30/09 7:36 p.m.

Should this even be a question? Dooo Eitttttttt!

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
11/30/09 7:52 p.m.

Is it done yet?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/09 7:55 p.m.

The Hillbilly Pantera. I love it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NKBbtxLxfd3DIOrLlnrZwrYWkfUaiB0VU0CMLpKCxt6mFTjm4HAuLJBKsGfLwCFd