1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 219
EricM
EricM SuperDork
8/28/18 1:40 p.m.

In the wild, a Delorian.  IT was in pretty good, not great, shape.

Central Illinois.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
8/28/18 8:20 p.m.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/South%20Florida/20180827_153213_zpsjmbjvs48.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/South%20Florida/20180827_153143_zps0ozzq2kj.jpg.html][/URL]

wspohn
wspohn Dork
8/29/18 11:01 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Had a Pontiac Solstice pass me on the freeway today that was very clearly running on 8 cylinders. 

Yeah, the guys that just have to have a V8 stick them in there.  The others often just tune the stock 4 cylinder with bigger turbos etc. Although the stock engine gives way to the V8s if you really have to have more than about 500 bhp.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
8/29/18 6:20 p.m.

Neighbor kid just bought an unrusted, unmolested, 5 speed Nissan Hardbody.  Pretty much this:

I had a black one in college, so it made me all nostalgic.  

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/18 7:44 a.m.

In traffic, I saw a gray Fiero.  That is unusual enough that I sped up to catch up to see if it was the one that we built a monster 2.5 for and got our first MS3Pro install.

No.  It was not.  It was an Indianapolis Pace Car Fiero.  Had the logos on the side and "Indy" on the decklid next to Fiero, in the same script.

Not this car, it had Ohio historical tags.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/18 9:24 a.m.
kazoospec said:

Neighbor kid just bought an unrusted, unmolested, 5 speed Nissan Hardbody.  Pretty much this:

I had a black one in college, so it made me all nostalgic.  

Have him check the frame anyway.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
9/1/18 2:12 p.m.

I saw what appeared to be a clean, rust-free 4dr chevette driving through town during "rush hour" the other day. I also followed what appeared to be either Graham Hollywood or a Huppmobile into town. He was several cars in front of me, so I could not get close enough to get a clear look at the details.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
9/2/18 10:42 a.m.

BTW, when was the last time anyone saw a Datsun 240Z riding on stock steel wheels?  1970?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/5/18 2:55 p.m.

Saw this, not yet priced, at the place I had my car serviced yesterday.

I like this way too much, but feel like I'd at least need to wear a hat to drive this...

https://www.europeanmotorsiowa.com/1955-mercedes-220s-ponton-how-to-drive-a-four-on-the-tree-manual-transmission/

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/5/18 3:05 p.m.
Karacticus said:

I like this way too much, but feel like I'd at least need to wear a hat to drive this...

https://www.europeanmotorsiowa.com/1955-mercedes-220s-ponton-how-to-drive-a-four-on-the-tree-manual-transmission/

I bought one of those to flip once and didn't find out it had a four speed until after I had sold it.  I always thought it was a three speed with a badly hosed linkage.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/5/18 3:40 p.m.
APEowner said:
Karacticus said:

I bought one of those to flip once and didn't find out it had a four speed until after I had sold it.  I always thought it was a three speed with a badly hosed linkage.

Unrelated amusing anecdote.  My late farther told me about a Lancia he had some time in the 50's or very early 60's.  It was a three speed (on the floor), but despite what he'd heard that these cars could do,  he could never get it up to 100 mph.  He tinkered with the carb and timing.  Rebuilt everything.  Had the head off and checked over.  Nothing.  Always topped out in the mid 90's.  When he sold it, he took the guy out for a test drive, they came back agreed on a price etc.  All set.  Just as the guy was about to drive off he asked my day 'why did you never go into top gear?'  Well you see where this is going.  They went out for one more drive, the new owner popped it into 4th gear and they sailed over 100mph.  Now, before you laugh, remember the time, the sparsity of information, other cars available etc.  Not such a stupid mistake to make.

Dave
Dave Reader
9/5/18 4:47 p.m.

How is this for a unicorn trio? Cheating a bit as this was on our 1,300km beater challenge.

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
9/8/18 4:37 p.m.

A few weeks ago, in Fairhope AL I spotted something that I haven't seen in years.  A first-gen (61-67) Ford Falcon Club Wagon!  I'd almost forgotten they even existed.  

This one was an unrestored survivor with amazing patina.  It was in a shopping center parking lot, and had current Alabama tags.  It looked to be in pretty decent shape, some dings and a little rust here and there, but the body looked pretty solid for an unrestored car of that vintage that was obviously still being used and driven.  The side windows had curtains, so I coulndn't get a good look at the interior, but the driver's area looked decent.

Very cool van.  I'd forgotten how small they were. When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, one of the parents who shared "carpool duty" taking some of us neighborhood kids to school (small Catholic school, no buses) had one that he'd take us to school in when it was his turn.  We all thought it was neat back then, and we'd fight over who got to ride sitting on top of the engine cover.  smiley

I wish I'd had the presence of mind to snap some pictures, but it was raining and I was in a bit of a hurry.  I've been keeping a lookout for it ever since, hoping to spot it again and perhaps talk to the owner. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/18 5:26 p.m.

Did not grab a shot, but I saw a Cadillac Catera on the road, running under it's own power and everything.  I realized that I hadn't seen one in YEARS.  

Dave
Dave Reader
9/8/18 8:01 p.m.

Those Cateras disappeared fast from the road. I quite liked them when new but good thing I never bought one.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/8/18 11:05 p.m.

Saw a BMW 1M coupe this morning, first one I've ever seen in person.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/9/18 6:04 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Had a Pontiac Solstice pass me on the freeway today that was very clearly running on 8 cylinders. 

Was it perhaps driven by an older blond woman??

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/9/18 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I let someone drive my '89 Sunny all the way to Belfast in 4th without knowing because how often are you the passenger in your own car?  Towards the end he goes oh this has five gears?  This was a guy who shipped dozens of cars from Scotland to Ireland to sell.  That he made a crack about fuel economy didn't help. indecision

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/9/18 7:56 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Always see the occasional one here in the mid-Atlantic due to all the euros who migrate here.  In fact there is a gas/service station where Md Ave/Fla Ave/Benning Rd/H St NE/Bladensburg Rd all intersect that had one up against the service doors in what was to me a very rare bright red.  Think rare as seeing a Nissan Maxima in red rare to me.

I actually think it's been there for a while.  I'd enquire but the fact that the Catera replaced the Carlton which had a Lotus version that looked like the dogs bollocks kinda underwhelmed me about them.  indecision

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
9/9/18 7:58 p.m.

Saw a pristine black Mitsubishi Diamante VR-X yesterday on the road driven by an older gentlemen. He must babied that car for years driving slow since he was doing 35 mph in a 45 mph zone. Never heard of the VR-X for that model. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/14/18 9:09 a.m.

Not just a Consulier, but John Fitch's personal Consulier GTP-LX!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/14/18 9:30 a.m.
NickD said:

There's been alot of pretty common cars posted on this thread---- but this one hits it out of the park.  That's a true unicorn!  Well done!  

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/14/18 10:01 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:
NickD said:

There's been alot of pretty common cars posted on this thread---- but this one hits it out of the park.  That's a true unicorn!  Well done!  

I was up to Lime Rock with my car for filming an episode of The Slip Angle, with GRM'er Carbon and his gang, and after my car got bounced my Lime Rock management for being too loud, we went to The Boathouse in Lakeview for dinner. Pull in and see a Consulier and go "Wow, there's a rare sight." Then see the FITCH2ME plate and realize it's John Fitch's old car. Wow even rarer. Funny thing is, Fitch hated driving that car in public because he said it was so ugly.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/14/18 11:01 a.m.
NOT A TA said:

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/South%20Florida/20180827_153213_zpsjmbjvs48.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/South%20Florida/20180827_153143_zps0ozzq2kj.jpg.html][/URL]

Can't unsee the rearend of an I8 is giving birth to a 911.

8valve
8valve Reader
9/14/18 11:46 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said: Can't unsee the rearend of an I8 is giving birth to a 911.

Ugh.  Why you have to tell me this.

I saw this an also a 1g in the span of a few days. Both red, both commuters in rush hour.

1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 219

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BmXQLy7XROJvrGsxxJTvEXhgx4t91feeo4EH6PpqI6WG3irdGbb2sgjBpczJFL80