1 2 3 4
Southtexassupra
Southtexassupra New Reader
9/12/12 4:29 p.m.

Im not a gm guy but, i have to agree 3800 series II or 3400.

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
9/16/12 2:35 p.m.

Four pages and no mention of the Mopar 3.5?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/16/12 3:07 p.m.
Hoop wrote: Four pages and no mention of the Mopar 3.5?

You mean the one that was in the LX platform?

or the 3.5 that was in the LH platform?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/16/12 3:13 p.m.

Nissan VQ is the best answer to me.

Take a VQ35, punch it out to 4.0L with a bore/stroke kit, add cams with a good intake/exhaust and enjoy a 400+ hp NA V6.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
9/16/12 4:51 p.m.
You mean the one that was in the LX platform?

They're the same motor.

And i like them. Had a modded 3.5 intrepid that could hang with older 4.6 stangs and at least bother the newer 4.6s.

The great thing about the 1g motor (your 2nd picture) is that they made peak power pretty high.. Intake and exhaust and you were wishing for a higher redline every day. Thats not all that common of a feeling in 90s family cars.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/16/12 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Interesting, I remember reading that it wasn't the same engine, but now that I look at those pics they do look awfully similar.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/12 8:40 p.m.

According to the literature, the LX 3.5 was the same engine family as the 2.7.

The only thing the 3.5 and the 2.7 had in common is that some vehicles had both engines as options. Oh and they had six cylinders.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
9/16/12 10:25 p.m.

Family is a loose term in that case.

The 1993 3.5 SOHC was 'based' on the 1990 3.3/3.8 OHV v6. It used the same bore centers, the 3.3 stroke, and the 3.8 bore. It also used the same bellhousing pattern, oil pan pattern, maybe a few other things.

The 2.7 was VERY loosely based on the 3.5... I think bore spacing was tighter, its DOHC instead of SOHC (heads are basically dohc neon/2.4 design), timing chain instead of belt, smaller bore and stroke, doesnt share any internal parts that i know of. But it still uses the same bellhousing pattern. Id say the 2.7 is just as close to the 2.4 4cyl as it is to the 3.5 v6.

The 3.5 was a fairly impressive engine if you take it out of the context of the cars and transmissions it was hooked to. Back in 1993 it made 1hp/ci back when not a lot of hot rods were. In the 1998 redesign it had the highest output of any n/a v6 other than the NSX or something brag-worthy like that. The Nissan VQ has long-since become the 'standard' high-performance v6, but back in 1998 dodge's v6 was pushing out 60 more hp than the contemporary Vq, and the VQ didnt exceed the dodge's rating for another 5 years.

corytate
corytate Dork
9/16/12 10:42 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: GM 4.3

this. or a kl. or a 2gr.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/17/12 12:06 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to RossD: As much as I would choose and Inline 6 over a V6, I did say V6.

Is there any reason you can't use a four cylinder? It occurs to me there just aren't that many good NA V6s. The VQs are pricey, the Buicks are not that powerful NA and all iron, the Duratechs are not that powerful.

I'd rather just use a Honda K/B series. Or an H22, or a 2.4L 200 hp four out of a relatively new Hyundai Sonata, or a Toyota 1.8, or a 3sge, or a Mitsubish 4g63/4, or a EJ20, or even one of those engines out of a Geo Storm.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
9/17/12 12:12 a.m.

It's a Ford Cologne V6 and a Cosworth. What's not to like? That should be in my Capri.

N/A but can be boosted and still Toyota reliable. What's not to like? That should be in my MR2.

Yeah, it's not a V, but it's awesome, and NA or boosted. What's not to like? That should be in my Celica.

KATYB
KATYB HalfDork
9/17/12 12:22 a.m.

duratec 3.0 with svt 2.5 heads and cams will make around 260 to the wheels with headers and intake. to me thats pretty damn good.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/17/12 12:44 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Never liked the sound of the GM V6 myself. I've played the "...what engine?" game with my imaginary Stratos build. And I keep wondering about the engine from the NSX.

Acura Legend is broadly the same and probably a fewer monies.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wwdX3rkroFyA73roIg5u8pxzQImVdiq86RIRcBCjwWEBWUguRvrFmIYZeYs6U2CM