1 2 3 4 5
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/18 2:09 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Yes, the thread title was prophetic.

Yeah, no kidding! Did you hear that a 25' Bayliner won G Street?!? 

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/5/18 2:29 p.m.
Javelin said:
Keith Tanner said:

At first I read F/Street and was going to make a crack about the size/weight/catfish nose of the new Mustang.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/5/18 2:32 p.m.

Pictures from the start of AS yesterday were hilarious. It was hip wader weather and my friends are out there in a convertible Corvette. laugh

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/5/18 2:36 p.m.
Javelin said:
Keith Tanner said:

Live coverage

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/5/18 2:41 p.m.
drsmooth said:
DeadSkunk said:

Once upon a time the Canadian championships were done exactly this way. Vancouver seemed to win consistently. We eventually learned they used a concrete lot with great grip. We, in London set up a course one year and happened to notice that  the big turns at each end of the course could be positioned neatly on the drainage slopes in our lot . We had the two longest and fastest corners on banking ! Our competitors did really well that year.wink

London you say?? You may appreciate this. autocross on the streets of London Ont                         part 2

I know all those guys. The A-mod car was made from muffler tubing. The red CRX is still in the hands of the original owner. I think I ran my Pontiac 6000 STE in that event. The Volvo and I tied (me driving my Mazda GLC) for the national H-stock championship in 1987.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/5/18 2:45 p.m.

I can't imagine what loosecannon is dealing with in his EM car.  It being open and all.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/5/18 2:47 p.m.

That looks wet

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
9/5/18 2:47 p.m.
racerfink said:

Seems that Mother Nature took care of the problem with her own storm.

That is what I thought this thread was going to be about, oh how mother nature perplexes us all! 

or GRM has jinxed the solo nats. 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/5/18 4:10 p.m.
Javelin said:
Keith Tanner said:

Javelin wins the internet today...

Javelin
9/5/18 4:57 p.m.
John Welsh said:
Javelin said:
Keith Tanner said:

Live coverage

Bwaahahahahaaa!!!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/18 10:10 p.m.
Javelin said:
John Welsh said:
Javelin said:
Keith Tanner said:

Live coverage

Bwaahahahahaaa!!!

Well, now you know what I spent much of my evening watching...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/18 5:49 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That’s the only kind of boat I actually would want to own. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/6/18 7:31 a.m.

I get a little nervous when you have to wear a helmet to drive the boat. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/6/18 7:54 a.m.

Gotta give a shout to some of the people from our club out there. They have two DP cars and one of the cars had an issue that meant it couldnt make nats, so they went and double dipped the other car in XP as well as running DP later in the week.

A DP miata making 139hp at the wheels running in XP where its 350lbs over the minimum weight it could be there (ballasted where it should be for DP).

They got 2nd in XP.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/6/18 8:19 a.m.

I want to cut the windshield off a Miata in the worst way. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/6/18 9:13 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

That cars evolution has been awesome.  Owner made a carbon fiber dash from scratch and did a lot of cutting unnecessary bits. Legit 1800lb miata and they have to ballast up for DP. 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
9/6/18 11:27 p.m.
alfadriver said:

I can't imagine what loosecannon is dealing with in his EM car.  It being open and all.  

I was the highest placed car without a windshield, video coming soon.  BTW, cones knocked down by waves of water do count against you, and plenty of people were victim to that. I usually steered wide of cones so I didn't knock any over with my bow wave. The 2018 Nationals had all sorts of drama. Two CAM cars crashed into each other on course, making one of them undriveable. An 800 hp Vette lost control after the finish and destroyed a car parked in grid (yes, it slid that far). Heat 6 on Tuesday ran in the dark and had to be stopped because drivers couldn't see cones, or course workers, or each other when they went off course (happened in front of me twice, cars came with 20 feet of each other) and as a course worker, I couldn't see where to put the cones back when they got knocked down. It was so ridiculous that I had to laugh but my wife is really upset because of how vulnerable she felt out there when off course cars couldn't see her. We walked the West Course for the first time in nearly blackout conditions and only knew where we were going by following others. Still, it was the most fun I've had in 11 years of going to Nationals

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/7/18 12:01 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Thank you for the update. Pitchers would be great!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/18 5:32 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I have a spare tub for cheap & you’re not that far from me. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
9/7/18 7:46 a.m.

Sounds like they took some inspiration from the rallycross rule that dirt spray counts as an extension of your car, so if you spray a cone over, it counts as hitting it.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/7/18 8:11 a.m.
loosecannon said:
alfadriver said:

I was the highest placed car without a windshield, video coming soon.  BTW, cones knocked down by waves of water do count against you, and plenty of people were victim to that. I usually steered wide of cones so I didn't knock any over with my bow wave. The 2018 Nationals had all sorts of drama. Two CAM cars crashed into each other on course, making one of them undriveable. An 800 hp Vette lost control after the finish and destroyed a car parked in grid (yes, it slid that far). Heat 6 on Tuesday ran in the dark and had to be stopped because drivers couldn't see cones, or course workers, or each other when they went off course (happened in front of me twice, cars came with 20 feet of each other) and as a course worker, I couldn't see where to put the cones back when they got knocked down. It was so ridiculous that I had to laugh but my wife is really upset because of how vulnerable she felt out there when off course cars couldn't see her. We walked the West Course for the first time in nearly blackout conditions and only knew where we were going by following others. Still, it was the most fun I've had in 11 years of going to Nationals

That sounds like a safety nightmare.  I often criticize our local rallyx club for their lack of safety measures because SCCA Solo events seem so well ironed out in comparison.  Sad to hear of issues like that at nationals :(

Javelin
9/7/18 8:56 a.m.

Holy cow!!! 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/7/18 10:08 a.m.
Knurled. said:

The year that Nationals was done in Omaha were done this way.  Scroll your GRM-o-meter back to late 2014 and find the multipage thread we had about it here.  The fail was epic.

Is this the thread?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/2014-rallycross-national-championship-in-5-ish-day/91265/page1/

Looks like they had three roll-overs.

NickD
NickD UberDork
9/7/18 10:09 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
loosecannon said:
alfadriver said:

That sounds like a safety nightmare.  I often criticize our local rallyx club for their lack of safety measures because SCCA Solo events seem so well ironed out in comparison.  Sad to hear of issues like that at nationals :(

Yeesh. Someone who is local to me was complaining about how unsafe things were and how he was threatening to pack up and leave, but he does that at all our local events over everything, so I figured it was just him being him. I guess even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/7/18 10:10 a.m.

One of those CAM cars belongs to the 2016 driver of the year (she wasn't at the wheel).  She's seriously bummed and the car is probably totaled.  Looks like she'll be getting another jacket though, they hammered out the bodywork with a BFH and ran it through an alignment rack. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4OWz9zqS3Hh7OIUcLhLCurcBgVIhO1EGQsSBrmaUxDTo1VKKGPzerW2MNEUsRVbc