1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/22/16 9:09 a.m.

This week's test car was a bit of a surprise: the new 124 Spider. Thanks to some friends in the biz, the media rotations started with us. (Aw.)

The bad news: It's an automatic Lusso. (The Florida media market contains lots of lifestyle outlets, so sometimes the press cars reflect that fact--hey, at least Florida is big enough to get its own fleet, and a sizable one at that.)

The good news: It's still a darn fine car. It looks great--more substantial and up-market than the Mazda. There's definitely more torque than the MX-5. Personally, I cannot wait to sample this engine with the manual box. I think the car's attitude will be totally transformed. Right now it feels like a composed cruiser. I think the manual box will make it more hooligan.

Today I'll put some highway miles on it. I just drove our MX-5 to Tampa and back--twice, actually. I'm curious to see how this one compares.

Once the Abarth is in the fleet, we'll be spending time with us.

If you have any 124 Spider questions, ask away.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
7/22/16 9:13 a.m.

As much as I hate to say this, I am interested in how the auto performs. I have zero intention of buying one at all, for a good long time at least, but would like to hear if the auto is worth a damn. Does it hold gears?

David S. Wallens
7/22/16 9:17 a.m.

The automatic has a manual function. I'll let you know how it performs. As far as automatics go, it seemed fine. Like many, it's quick to upshift.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 9:20 a.m.

My lifelong disdain for automatic transmissions is evaporating rapidly.

David S. Wallens
7/22/16 9:21 a.m.
Woody wrote: My lifelong disdain for automatic transmissions is evaporating rapidly.

They're constantly getting better.

David S. Wallens
7/22/16 9:21 a.m.

One of my recent favorite automatics is the one found in the new Ecoboost Mustang. It's snappy and fits the car's character.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/16 9:45 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Woody wrote: My lifelong disdain for automatic transmissions is evaporating rapidly.
They're constantly getting better.

The 8 spd auto in my wife's IS-F is amazing. Feeling it downshift while braking is awesome.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 9:48 a.m.

Would they notice if you sent back a gently abused Buick in its place? It's red and an automatic if that helps.

David S. Wallens
7/22/16 9:55 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: Would they notice if you sent back a gently abused Buick in its place? It's red and an automatic if that helps.

I'll ask.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 9:58 a.m.

Please pull the rear diff out and send me pictures. Also, please swap the suspension between the Fiat and the Miata to confirm fit.

Is the comparison Mazda a GT or a Club? The former have more soundproofing - just in case you're looking at sound levels. Look for a two-layer top. I suspect there's an equivalent difference in the 124 trim levels, as it's very likely the same top. Might not want to generalize 124 vs Miata on the highway without taking this into account.

David S. Wallens
7/22/16 10:11 a.m.

Ours is a Club. But before that, I put miles on a GT.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 10:51 a.m.

I think I am jealous

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
7/22/16 11:02 a.m.

The question I have to ask about manual mode on every flappy-paddle automatic...Will it lock the torque converter, in all gears, and at all driving rpm and throttle positions? In manual mode, there is little worse to me than being able to change up a couple of gears when accelerating and having the rpm barely drop, or having the rpm inefficiently varying directly with throttle position when trying to maintain constant speed on an incline.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
7/22/16 11:07 a.m.

I was racing with AER last weekend. A 124 Abarth showed up in red with the matte black hood and trunk wearing MI manufacturers tags.

It was a superb looking car, it sounded fantastic. I want one.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
7/22/16 11:44 a.m.

I'm sorry, I can't help it. When I see a title that says something like "There is a Fiat in my driveway", my first instinct is to ask if it ran when parked.

David S. Wallens
7/22/16 12:01 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: I'm sorry, I can't help it. When I see a title that says something like "There is a Fiat in my driveway", my first instinct is to ask if it ran when parked.

That would be the 240SX....

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
7/22/16 12:19 p.m.

Pics or it didn't happen ;-)

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
7/22/16 1:13 p.m.

Well I don't have a photo of David's driveway, but I have this.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 1:22 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: In manual mode, there is little worse to me than being able to change up a couple of gears when accelerating and having the rpm barely drop, or having the rpm inefficiently varying directly with throttle position when trying to maintain constant speed on an incline.

Heck, that's what I like about automatics. Make that torque converter work! Without it, it's just a really inefficient sequential manual.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/22/16 1:52 p.m.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the ND way more attractive than the 124. Everyone has a different set of eyes, and if this forum as taught me anything, it's that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To each his own. For me though--- the ND is more flowing and organic looking. The 124's styling looks tacked on and derivative to me. I understand it's supposed to remind us of the original, but the way it goes about it seems awkward.

I do want to drive a manual model though.....as that engine in the Abarth 500 sounds fantastic!

Chas_H
Chas_H Reader
7/22/16 2:02 p.m.

How about some photos of the undercarriage?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 2:13 p.m.

I'll bet it will look very much like this. There are some odd bumps in the trans tunnel of the Miata that don't make sense, so they must be there for the Fiat.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
7/22/16 2:43 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Heck, that's what I *like* about automatics. Make that torque converter work! Without it, it's just a really inefficient sequential manual.

Seriously? Why?? The more a torque converter 'works', the more inefficient the transmission becomes. Functionally, it's no different than slipping the clutch to get higher into the power band, rather than simply downshifting.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
7/22/16 2:46 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: Seriously? Why?? The more a torque converter 'works', the more inefficient the transmission becomes. Functionally, it's no different than slipping the clutch to get higher into the power band, rather than simply downshifting.

That last bit isn't true at all. As a torque converter slips, it multiplies torque. It does lose some power as heat, but it's nothing like slipping the clutch with a manual.

IMO, in most driving, the converter should be locked. But if you go WOT, unlock the converter immediately to help get the engine into its powerband while the trans grabs the lowest available gear.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/22/16 2:50 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Maybe it's just me, but I find the ND way more attractive than the 124. Everyone has a different set of eyes, and if this forum as taught me anything, it's that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To each his own. For me though--- the ND is more flowing and organic looking. The 124's styling looks tacked on and derivative to me. I understand it's supposed to remind us of the original, but the way it goes about it seems awkward. I do want to drive a manual model though.....as that engine in the Abarth 500 sounds fantastic!

Agreed!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I3Qi8KXNBdJaIFJpq6zQlQuaut38B2TuMOB6Zmu4L1lZa2xIO5DMOb6Evdg5dLPv