1 2 3 4 5
WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
11/10/10 12:04 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: I vote for WI. I may be partial, but whatev. Sure they use salt, but most counties have 0 inspections of any kind. They don't even look at the car to maek sure it has all 4 wheels. You could have a rusty, burnt out shell with no cats or seatbelts and an engine from who knows what, and as long as you have $75, it's registered.

good thing youre in MA now!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/10 12:16 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:
Nashco wrote: That's what he and I thought. He couldn't get his antique plates until the vehicle had the proper hub caps on it (instead of steel wheels). Imagine how pissed he was!!!
Um, that's not inspection that's applying for either a Classic or Antique tag. It's pretty simple really. Put stock wheel covers on the car for the pictures. All in all PA is a fairly car friendly state. As for the Saturn. something is not working in the OBDII system or it was reset within 100 miles before taking it in for inspection.

Yes, I looked into that when I lived in PA. Basically the car was not allowed to have anything on it that was not availible when it was new.

I would have thought the steelies would have passed for that

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
11/10/10 5:09 a.m.

in MN, there are no safety inspections done on anything smaller than about a 2 ton truck, and no emissions testing done on anything. .

for the average car or light truck that is over 10 years old, you just go in, give them $39.95 (plus $10 if you need to buy new plates, which they make you do every 7 years or so), and walk out with new tabs for your car. if your car is out of commission for whatever reason and you don't drive it for a couple of years, you don't need to pay a "non drivable" fee, and you don't need to buy tabs for the missed years. honestly, i think every other state should copy the way it is done here.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
11/10/10 5:48 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Rob_Mopar wrote:
Nashco wrote: That's what he and I thought. He couldn't get his antique plates until the vehicle had the proper hub caps on it (instead of steel wheels). Imagine how pissed he was!!!
Um, that's not inspection that's applying for either a Classic or Antique tag. It's pretty simple really. Put stock wheel covers on the car for the pictures. All in all PA is a fairly car friendly state. As for the Saturn. something is not working in the OBDII system or it was reset within 100 miles before taking it in for inspection.
Yes, I looked into that when I lived in PA. Basically the car was not allowed to have anything on it that was not availible when it was new. I would have thought the steelies would have passed for that

It might depend on the steelies. If they were bare and no dog dishes or full covers it might have gotten bounced. Unfortunately it is a subjective process dependant on the who's desk it lands on. If they are having a bad day, so are you.

I've gotten Classic and Antique tags on multiple cars here in PA. It's not a hard process. Only had one Classic application get kicked back. It used to be a Classic was for a car 20 years old or 15 years out of production. They changed it to just 20 years old a while back. The car I was applying for was only 19 at the time.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/10 5:50 a.m.
Nashco wrote: Long story short: PA inspections suck. My buddy failed inspection on a classic car because he didn't have his hubcaps on. Bryce

Your friend was going to drive around Pa with exposed nuts? Think of the childern...and the Amish.

failboat
failboat New Reader
11/10/10 5:50 a.m.
TJ wrote: I hated the annual inspections in Virginia - they were just a moneymaking enterprise and nothing more. So when I had a choice I chose to move to another state.

safety inspections are statewide, but emissions tests are only required in the northern counties. At least 60-70% of the state doesnt require emission tests.

Im moving to orange county in a few weeks, no emissions testing there... Go figure right after I had to pay $28 (!) for an emissions test on on of my vehicles. They definately jacked that price up since the last time I needed the test.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress New Reader
11/10/10 6:21 a.m.

I've recently moved from Ohio to PA, and I agree, the inspection here is about the dumbest effing thing I've ever heard of. Especially since your car can fair for entirely cosmetic B.S., such as having a rust hole.

My solution, drive a car my dad (Ohio resident) owns, still registered in Ohio, means no inspection in PA.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
11/10/10 6:42 a.m.
TJ wrote: You can come live in Alabama where there are no car inspections at all. Not surprisingly, the number of cars that appear to be unsafe doesn't seem to be any higher than states that have inspections that I have previously lived in (West Virginia, Virginia). I'm pretty sure inspections come into being when automotive repair lobbyists pose as environmentalists and persuade lawmakers to pass an inspection law "to save the children". I hated the annual inspections in Virginia - they were just a moneymaking enterprise and nothing more. So when I had a choice I chose to move to another state.

I dunno. Back a million years ago when I was growing up in NJ, they had an annual safety inspection. I think they had inspection stations as long as they had horseless carriages. The tailpipe sniifers came into being sometime after that.

I don't know what part of VA you were in, but here in the Richmond area, I have found most state inspectors to be very fair. True, I've had some that will flunk you for a laundry list of petty stuff, but I just don't go back to that guy. I haven't had any trouble keeping my Haltech-ECU'd turbo RX-7 with 3" straight-thru exhaust street legal.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/10/10 6:46 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: Long story short: computers suck, make cars suck, and cost me money. The end. Long story as is: PA has two inspections that happen at the same time for your vehicle, safety and emissions. Safety inspection covers things that matter: tires, brake pads/shoes, bushings, seatbelts, headlights, horn. Emissions inspection covers things that shops and dealers can make money from: nameless computer bits that fail for no reason at all to cost you money. The emissions inspection for OBD-II cars involves plugging the car into another computer, and that computer looks for trouble codes, because OBD-II can apparently self-diagnose emissions levels and crap like that. My car passed safety inspection, because I'm not an idiot and take care of my car. It failed emissions inspection because "readiness monitors were not set." So get this: Me: "So there's nothing actually wrong with the emissions system on my car. You said monitors...it's not spewing toxic fumes into the air." Shop: "No." Me: "But my car failed anyway?" Shop: "Yes." Me: *facepalm* So, because some shiny happy person engineer at Saturn with a 2-year computer programming degree from a community college wrote the ECU program, I have to drive around for another 100 miles to try to reset the readiness monitors, and then pay for my car to be inspected again. berkeleying wonderful. So, how about you guys learn me pre-1975 cars and trucks?

So why did you clear the codes?

BTW, it takes about 10 miles to complete ALL of the system checks- that's the requirement.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
11/10/10 7:04 a.m.

So you tried to reset the the check engine light and didn't wait long enough to get it inspected. This isn't a big deal. I'm sure the code you're trying to clear is something relating to the emissions system- it always is. Next time go to the local parts store and get a can of "emissions clean" or something similar. Advance has it, I'm sure the other chain parts stores do too. Dump it into your gas tank, reset your code, and you'll be good for at least 300 miles. You need to have at least 100 miles on the car after resetting and getting it re-inspected, but it WILL pass.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
11/10/10 7:39 a.m.
LainfordExpress wrote: Especially since your car can fail for entirely cosmetic B.S., such as having a rust hole.

The logic behind this is that exhaust from either your car or those around you can get in and kill you. At least that was the reason in CT when I lived there. Not to mention that in most cars today the body is structural, and any rust weakens the structure.

As a hated dealer tech I have a slightly different point of view. Yes, I want emissions and safety inspections where I live. Not to profit from (I won't), but because the number of unsafe POSs that run through the shop without getting fixed is mind blowing. I don't care who fixes them, I just want them fixed or off the road so I don't get taken out when the burst into flames or make a beeline for the ditch. As an enthusiast I know inspections are a PITA and can sometimes limit your choices of how you use and modify your car. To me that is a small price to pay for the piece of mind knowing the car next to you isn't polluting more than BP and has brakes and steering that works.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
11/10/10 7:49 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: As a hated dealer tech I have a slightly different point of view. Yes, I want emissions and safety inspections where I live. Not to profit from (I won't), but because the number of unsafe POSs that run through the shop without getting fixed is mind blowing. I don't care who fixes them, I just want them fixed or off the road so I don't get taken out when the burst into flames or make a beeline for the ditch. As an enthusiast I know inspections are a PITA and can sometimes limit your choices of how you use and modify your car. To me that is a small price to pay for the piece of mind knowing the car next to you isn't polluting more than BP and has brakes and steering that works.

I actually agree with this. The problem is, many if not most states are suspending the safety inspection part and only doing the tailpipe sniffing part. While it is amusing, metaphorically speaking, that the government has it's nose up your butt, the sad truth is that your car can be a rolling deathtrap and it will still pass, so long as it doesn't burp a tiny bit of NOx into the atmosphere.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/10/10 8:10 a.m.
Nitroracer wrote: I think Pennsylvania yearly inspections are a bit of a rip off compared to places where you can go years between inspections or not need one at all. They always get you for something, a light here, a wiper there, little things to make a few more bucks off of you.

In PA it really pays to develope a relationship with a particular independant shop. I've been going to the same shop for over 20 years now. Granted, my two primary vehicles are diesels, and thus are inspected for emissions, so sometimes they won't even get into a bay, but they know me and they know I do a lot of my own wrenching, so often if they find something that would cause a failre, they'll let it slide and tell me to fix it.

When I brought the E30 in for the first time, they sent me down to an associated shop that has a rolling road set-up since they decided the equipment investment wasn't worth it for the limited market for pre-OBD II cars in the area (which really gets smaller every day). As state inspections stations are all independant garages, nearly all shops have an inspection license. However, only a few have the required dyno equipment to test pre-OBD II cars. Apparently, this is an increasing issue in PA - the equipment is expensive to buy, maintain and repair and often when it breaks, the shop decides it's not worth it and drops doing inspections on pre-OBD II cars.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/10 8:29 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
LainfordExpress wrote: Especially since your car can fail for entirely cosmetic B.S., such as having a rust hole.
The logic behind this is that exhaust from either your car or those around you can get in and kill you. At least that was the reason in CT when I lived there. Not to mention that in most cars today the body is structural, and any rust weakens the structure.

He's not talking about rust on the exhaust. PA will fail a car for rust holes on the bodywork

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
11/10/10 8:30 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Nashco wrote: Long story short: PA inspections suck. My buddy failed inspection on a classic car because he didn't have his hubcaps on. Bryce
that sounds a bit far fetched...

Not at all. PA sucks when it comes to classic cars. My father was denied tags for his 66 Mustang multiple times.

1st for having the original dealer installed trailer hitch, 2nd time for having incorrect hubcaps (they were oem), 3rd time for having aftermarket fog lights (period correct), 4th time for something I've forgotten.

He spent over a year fighting PA trying to get his Mustang on the road. I laughed constantly because he moved from Maryland to Pennsylvania in part because he thought PA would be easier on old cars. I warned him! Maryland is super easy when it comes to classic cars.

And to the OP, you'll flunk in any state if you simply clear the codes and go running to the inspection station. Nex time, turn the car off and on a few times before you arrive.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
11/10/10 8:40 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
He's not talking about rust on the exhaust. PA will fail a car for rust holes on the bodywork

Exactly. A hole in the bodywork, especially near the tailpipe, lets exhaust into the car. Ever hear of carbon monoxide poisoning?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
11/10/10 8:41 a.m.

I will just say I'm never leaving Mississippi. My car could be from the 30's, with whatever mods I want and the DMV wouldn't bat an eyelash at giving it an antique tag. No one's even suggested Smog Checks, and rust is something other people suffer from. Sure, we have more Trucks and Donks per square inch than anywhere in the world, but...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/10/10 8:56 a.m.

Arkansas dumped all inspections >10 years ago. Apparently, some state representative got pissed off that his car was failing for some BS reason and pushed a bill through to eliminate the whole process. ZOMG, Death, Mahem, Destruction WILL BE EVAR WARE!! Funny thing, nothing happened except we don't get ripped off yearly anymore.

The V8 Esprit guys have that "not set" problem with some sensor when they need to get that inspection done, like in the PRC. It's a GM computer. The reset procedure is very bizzare, like drive x miles at exactly 50 MPH in 5th gear, slow down to some speed, turn your head to the left and put your hand on your right shoulder while singing British marching songs.

924guy
924guy Dork
11/10/10 10:32 a.m.

My 78 924 once failed in NY for being TOO CLEAN... yep, she wasnt spewing enough pollutants. had to adjust the AF mix to get her to run dirty in order to pass... then adjust it back after wards, stupidity at its finest. the computer rejected the results, some note about exhaust tampering. I guess people were feeding compressed air in the exhaust system at at the time to defeat the testing or some such nonsense..

No inspections in FL except a quick once over if you register a vehicle that previously registered in another state, just safety, no sniffers involved. far less hassle.

On the down side, its hard to find any one with the right equipment if you want to actually tune based on exhaust gases. For the obd compliant vehicles in my fleet, i just picked up a obd II scanner for the laptop ($20.00 on ebay) so I can stop hassling the people at autozone to check codes for me. still getting it set up for each vehicle, but should save me some headaches. next i need to buy an gas analyzer for the CIS tuning on the porsches..thatll be a bit more $$ though...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
11/10/10 11:27 a.m.

I hate state inspections.

I am in maryland and they have taken exception to every car I have taken in for one.

My E30 failed because the front valence was changed to an I valence that had foglights, the foglights were not wired up. They failed it because they could not adjust them (when they arent adjustable). That one I got lucky. I asked the guy to borrow a screwdriver and he could reinspect it after I remove the foglights, after the inspection I would need the screwdriver again to put them back in. He finally passed it without me having to go through the hassle.

My Miata failed because it has the common STS mod of having the rear swaybar removed. They didnt know if it had one from the factory or not, but they saw the brackets on the control arms and said it has to have one. Had to go and reinstall the bar. Funny, because I know quite a few camaros that had brackets, but never came with bars.

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
11/10/10 11:34 a.m.

FYI, Ohio has no inspections anymore...no safety test, no emissions test , nothing. Got a car? Got a title? Youll get registration. Easy peasy

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
11/10/10 11:44 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: MA is like that too. Did you reset any CEL's recently? That would cause the "not ready" status. Oh, and my mother's 1996 Nissan Maxima does this on its own. It also has a knock sensor code stored in the computer, and the CEL doesn't go on every time, but the registry's computer still picks it up. It's rocking the "Type R" sticker right now.

Those are under the intake, and a bit of a pain in the ass. Oh, expensive too! I haven't tried one yet, but there's a GM knock sensor that looks exactly the same, and is about $60 new as opposed to $250 or so. If I ever owned one I'd try the GM part, but every one I've ever changed was on a customer car, and I'm not going to experiment on that.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
11/10/10 11:47 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote:
mad_machine wrote:
that sounds a bit far fetched...
Not at all. PA *sucks* when it comes to classic cars. My father was denied tags for his 66 Mustang multiple times. 1st for having the original dealer installed trailer hitch, 2nd time for having incorrect hubcaps (they were oem), 3rd time for having aftermarket fog lights (period correct), 4th time for something I've forgotten. He spent over a year fighting PA trying to get his Mustang on the road. I laughed constantly because he moved from Maryland to Pennsylvania in part because he thought PA would be easier on old cars. I warned him! Maryland is super easy when it comes to classic cars. And to the OP, you'll flunk in any state if you simply clear the codes and go running to the inspection station. Nex time, turn the car off and on a few times before you arrive.

For reference, my buddy had a '69 Mustang...funny coincidence! Thanks for the supporting story, I'm shocked how many people here would think I'd make that up. You can't make this stuff up folks!

Bryce

Pseudosport
Pseudosport Reader
11/10/10 11:59 a.m.

We have state inspections in Mass and even though that are a pain I’m glad we have them to keep all the other POS off the road. If my car fails inspection then its probable something I should have fixed anyway. 96+ just has to pass an OBDII check. I don’t think anything older then 95 has to pass emissions. My turbo Miata running Megasquirt all stickered up from the Challenge pass and the only thing they made me do was mount a front license plate.

I lived in Ohio for a few years during college and was shocked at what they would let drive down the road. Cab mounts rotted off truck so the hole cab leans over when turning, a 2x4 zip tied in a rear caliper that was zip tied to a control arm, lots of cracked windshields, nothing has exhaust systems, most vehicles running on 2 less cylinder then they should, etc.

MikeD
MikeD New Reader
11/10/10 12:13 p.m.

obd2 does have its good points, if you can tune, or alter the ECU you can make it pass no matter what (usally) also this makes it so most inspectors do not look for a cat or fumes out of the tailpipe.

Computers are only bad if you can not talk to them, and tell them what to do. if you can do this, then they are lifesafers that let you get away with murder

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h4Sn6wcff2BHfMv8ospPW8JjzMB77D7h99p66ArjrwCiNlTPqn5099sxCoPHhLsH