1 2 3 4 5
Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
11/10/10 2:09 p.m.
WilberM3 wrote:
Rufledt wrote: I vote for WI. I may be partial, but whatev. Sure they use salt, but most counties have 0 inspections of any kind. They don't even look at the car to maek sure it has all 4 wheels. You could have a rusty, burnt out shell with no cats or seatbelts and an engine from who knows what, and as long as you have $75, it's registered.
good thing youre in MA now!

Go on, rub it in!! I'm still leaving my cars registered in WI. The state of MA gets enough of my money from out of state tuition prices! If i'm so out of state, then so are my cars! This is a good thing because my old van would NEVER pass the 'is it puffing smoke and killing us' test (the emissions test for pre-1996 cars) on account of the burning fluids. Also, the previous owner removed the cat after it tried to eat itself. That sentence sounds wierd...

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
11/10/10 2:28 p.m.
MikeD wrote: obd2 does have its good points, if you can tune, or alter the ECU you can make it pass no matter what (usally) also this makes it so most inspectors do not look for a cat or fumes out of the tailpipe.

This.

Let's take for example my old 2002 WRX. I tuned it with some free programs (like RomRaider) and a Tactrix cable. I had all sorts of stuff done to it, including the exhaust. It had exactly zero cats, smelled like a lawnmower, and sounded ridiculous. The inspection place gave it a sticker every time because I "told" the computer not to look at the rear O2 sensor and not to look at the crappy on/off EGT probe that used to be in the up-pipe. It fooled the MA Registry computers just fine. No CEL's ever!

miatame
miatame Reader
11/10/10 2:41 p.m.

OK I don't think the OP ever responded. Which makes me think he was tampering with the OBDII check and thus the reject. I thought everyone knew that trick didn't work!

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/10/10 2:51 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote:
MikeD wrote: obd2 does have its good points, if you can tune, or alter the ECU you can make it pass no matter what (usally) also this makes it so most inspectors do not look for a cat or fumes out of the tailpipe.
This. Let's take for example my old 2002 WRX. I tuned it with some free programs (like RomRaider) and a Tactrix cable. I had all sorts of stuff done to it, including the exhaust. It had exactly zero cats, smelled like a lawnmower, and sounded ridiculous. The inspection place gave it a sticker every time because I "told" the computer not to look at the rear O2 sensor and not to look at the crappy on/off EGT probe that used to be in the up-pipe. It fooled the MA Registry computers just fine. No CEL's ever!

And you are proud of that?

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
11/10/10 3:16 p.m.
miatame wrote: I thought everyone knew that trick didn't work!

It does for certain years as long as you only have one or two (dep on year) readiness not set. Used to (have!) to do it to my S4.

PA sucks but MD is worse for that one time safety inspection. I always needed 'new' tires.. I would just borrow some better looking ones

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
11/10/10 5:00 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
SilverFleet wrote:
This. Let's take for example my old 2002 WRX. I tuned it with some free programs (like RomRaider) and a Tactrix cable. I had all sorts of stuff done to it, including the exhaust. It had exactly zero cats, smelled like a lawnmower, and sounded ridiculous. The inspection place gave it a sticker every time because I "told" the computer not to look at the rear O2 sensor and not to look at the crappy on/off EGT probe that used to be in the up-pipe. It fooled the MA Registry computers just fine. No CEL's ever!
And you are proud of that?

Well, considering the fact that on 2002 WRX's that the pre-cat installed in the uppipe will fall apart and destroy the turbo prematurely, the fact that my mods gave the car 40-50 more whp, and the fact that I ended up getting an average of 4mpg's better per tankful with a proper tune, then yes, I'm proud of that.

I won't do the same to my new one because the car is under warranty and is plenty fun bone-stock. They fixed the catted uppipe stupidity after 2005 by installing an air pump, so no premature turbo failiure will happen.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
11/10/10 5:11 p.m.

That explains the uppipe cat removal...but what about the others?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
11/10/10 5:24 p.m.
njansenv wrote: That explains the uppipe cat removal...but what about the others?

I wanted to go faster and get better MPG's, that's all.

Sorry if I offended any "Green" people in here. Please spare me the baloney, I'm sure many of you have modified your cars' emissions equipment in the past, or will in the future, in the search to go faster

I actually forgot: On my newer 2009 WRX, Subaru actually let it leave the factory with a good flowing, less restrictive exhaust system, so none of that stuff needs to happen. I'm pretty sure it even has high flow cats!

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
11/10/10 5:50 p.m.

I should clarify a few things:

1. My car hasn't thrown an engine light in over a year, meaning I couldn't read or clear any codes, because there aren't any
  2. The battery was replaced about 5 months and around 6,000 miles ago, and has not died or been disconnected since, and the car hasn't been jump-started

This is why I'm annoyed. I understand what causes the monitors to not be set- but there's no reason they shouldn't be! I haven't done anything but change oil and put the snow tires on the car in months.

When I worked at the dealer, I once spent 3 hours driving a Saab around aimlessly until the monitors were set- we had a thing that plugged into the OBD-II port in the footwell that beeped and lit up when all the monitors were ready. What a hassle.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/10 5:56 p.m.

I am happy to report that I have never "modified" emission control equipment...ever. I have only pulled it off and thrown it in the trash.

I will say that even without state emissions testing I just spent $800 replacing the cats on one of my work vans. I'll keep them choked up and clean to make up for a couple of rotary engines that spew noxious fumes like 1930s factories.

SC used to have a "safety inspection". The cost was $3. For $5 the guy I dealt with wouldn't even get out of the chair. He'd just hand you the sticker and go back to sipping his gin. It was such a racket the state finally abolished it.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
11/10/10 6:15 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: I should clarify a few things: 1. My car hasn't thrown an engine light in over a year, meaning I couldn't read or clear any codes, because there aren't any 2. The battery was replaced about 5 months and around 6,000 miles ago, and has not died or been disconnected since, and the car hasn't been jump-started This is why I'm annoyed. I understand what causes the monitors to not be set- but there's no reason they shouldn't be! I haven't done anything but change oil and put the snow tires on the car in months. When I worked at the dealer, I once spent 3 hours driving a Saab around aimlessly until the monitors were set- we had a thing that plugged into the OBD-II port in the footwell that beeped and lit up when all the monitors were ready. What a hassle.

Well, that's a different story altogether. That IS annoying!

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
11/10/10 6:29 p.m.

Years ago every pickup truck in Illinois had a yearly inspection sticker which was dropped 25 years ago for the light weight trucks 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton......Big ones still get inspected.

The inspector would hop in, scrape your old sticker off, and then do an inspection. Fail? No new sticker until fixed.

The joke was you left a $20 bill on the seat when you hopped out and.............you passed! New Sticker!

plance1
plance1 Dork
11/10/10 6:45 p.m.

Kentucky had a similiar scam. My 79 ford pickup passed emissions one year, then failed the next. Because they only tested vehicles every other year, I sold it to my girlfriend for $1.00. When it was due again for another test a couple years later, she sold it back to me, for, you guessed it, $1.00. We only had to do this a few times. You're in luck, you just elected a republican governor, so hopefully he'll find a way to get this nonsense stopped.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
11/10/10 7:21 p.m.

I am in the minority, but I would LOVE to see real safety inspections be mandated.
In chicago for a cab to be legal it has a safety inspection to pass, which includes a brake dyno test (makes sure the brakes work properly). Why shouldn't everyone need to have that done? Why should a let some dumb cheap ass put my life at risk because he won't fix his car? "My car don't no shocks, those are a comfort item!" "Why do I need my brake lights working? I know when I'm stopping" Should I keep going? Do you have any clue how many cars are out there right now that are a pothole away from failure? Think about how many times you pass a car on the side of the road with a busted strut/spring/ball joint/tie rod.
Of course it would also help the economy, car sales, repair and part sales would all go up.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
11/10/10 7:22 p.m.

oh, and when my cars were emission tested, they all passed just fine. That includes my then modified camaro. It beat spec by over 50% on every category.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
11/10/10 9:06 p.m.

The grass really is greener...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
11/10/10 11:00 p.m.

I don't get this.

All I own are carbureted, pre OBD-anything cars (except my '96 F-150), some are stock, some are far from it.

They all have varying amounts of smog controls, if they came with them at all. ALL have high-flow cats if they had cats from the factory and ALL of them pass emissions testing without trouble.

You guys who need to make the computer lie for you need to learn to tune an engine properly.

The emissions test only tests to what the vehicle put out when new. If it's burning clean, you should have no problems.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
11/11/10 12:11 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
Nitroracer wrote: I think Pennsylvania yearly inspections are a bit of a rip off compared to places where you can go years between inspections or not need one at all. They always get you for something, a light here, a wiper there, little things to make a few more bucks off of you.
In PA it really pays to develope a relationship with a particular independant shop. I've been going to the same shop for over 20 years now. Granted, my two primary vehicles are diesels, and thus are inspected for emissions, so sometimes they won't even get into a bay, but they know me and they know I do a lot of my own wrenching, so often if they find something that would cause a failre, they'll let it slide and tell me to fix it. When I brought the E30 in for the first time, they sent me down to an associated shop that has a rolling road set-up since they decided the equipment investment wasn't worth it for the limited market for pre-OBD II cars in the area (which really gets smaller every day). As state inspections stations are all independant garages, nearly all shops have an inspection license. However, only a few have the required dyno equipment to test pre-OBD II cars. Apparently, this is an increasing issue in PA - the equipment is expensive to buy, maintain and repair and often when it breaks, the shop decides it's not worth it and drops doing inspections on pre-OBD II cars.

I do agree with you on getting to know a shop. I've been through two or three local places until I finally found a good one. I know the owner and he treats me well so I send all my friends and family there.

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
11/11/10 12:19 a.m.

Sounds like its your own fault for not swapping the cluster out and bypassing that PA law.

Lainford_Express
Lainford_Express New Reader
11/11/10 5:51 a.m.

It drives me nuts that the the people in PA that've had inspection their whole lives go on and on about how great it is... and they always reference "well, it makes the roads safer". Has anyone ever seen a passenger car get into an accident because of a rust whole in a fender (btw, my Grand Marquis is body-on-frame, son. No stressed body panels for me, damnit)? Or any of the other litany of things some 10th grade dropout thinks makes my car unsafe? Jeez, I live in a state of Ralph Naders.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
11/11/10 7:09 a.m.
Lainford_Express wrote: Has anyone ever seen a passenger car get into an accident because of a rust whole in a fender

Has anyone seen a rusty car crumple like a tin can in a crash because it doesn't deform as designed when there is stucture missing?

/raises hand/

While I'm not one to tell you what risks you can or can't take by driving a rust bucket the fact is that most people are too dumb to realize that big holes=less metal between you and that semi. I don't doubt that the state is erring on the side of caution by being overly picky because some numbnuts will get hurt in a wreck and sue saying that since he passed inspection he should've been "safe".

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/11/10 7:17 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote:
njansenv wrote: That explains the uppipe cat removal...but what about the others?
I wanted to go faster and get better MPG's, that's all. Sorry if I offended any "Green" people in here. Please spare me the baloney, I'm sure many of you have modified your cars' emissions equipment in the past, or will in the future, in the search to go faster I actually forgot: On my newer 2009 WRX, Subaru actually let it leave the factory with a good flowing, less restrictive exhaust system, so none of that stuff needs to happen. I'm pretty sure it even has high flow cats!

Quite the contrary. I've actually thought of a MS + catalyst system on my '73 GTV. If we drove it more, I probably would. I hate the headaches I get from long drives.

I'll speak for the Subaru Engineer who put a lot of hard work into your car, only for you to pretend you know better than he/she does. A lot of work is put into those cars so that you can have your fun with minimal impact on the environment and have it last for longer than you will own it.

And thanks to excuses like yours, we now face LEVIII and Tier3.

So I guess thanks for letting me keep my job....

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/11/10 7:19 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: I should clarify a few things: 1. My car hasn't thrown an engine light in over a year, meaning I couldn't read or clear any codes, because there aren't any 2. The battery was replaced about 5 months and around 6,000 miles ago, and has not died or been disconnected since, and the car hasn't been jump-started This is why I'm annoyed. I understand what causes the monitors to not be set- but there's no reason they shouldn't be! I haven't done anything but change oil and put the snow tires on the car in months. When I worked at the dealer, I once spent 3 hours driving a Saab around aimlessly until the monitors were set- we had a thing that plugged into the OBD-II port in the footwell that beeped and lit up when all the monitors were ready. What a hassle.

That bites. If you can somehow follow an EPA 74 drive cycle somewhere near where you live- you can set them all within about a half an hour, many multiple times over. All the monitors have to cycle and run once each complete 75.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
11/11/10 7:57 a.m.
Lainford_Express wrote: It drives me nuts that the the people in PA that've had inspection their whole lives go on and on about how great it is... and they always reference "well, it makes the roads safer". Has anyone ever seen a passenger car get into an accident because of a rust whole in a fender (btw, my Grand Marquis is body-on-frame, son. No stressed body panels for me, damnit)? Or any of the other litany of things some 10th grade dropout thinks makes my car unsafe? Jeez, I live in a state of Ralph Naders.

No, but I have seen cars with rotted frames, rotted out suspension attaching points, rotted floors where the driver's seat attaches (or used to attach) rotted brake lines, no brake lining left, bad ball joints (ones under tension, not compression), etc. I've even seen a coil spring rot and snap on a late model. That's stuff just still on the car. Then there's things like mufflers and chunks of exhaust that have detached themselves while driving down the highway.

I've been driving in PA for almost 24 years now, and live here my whole life. Before my time PA required an inspection every 6 months. Once upon a time cars didn't have the quality of steel or rust proofing they have now. They would rot out in a few years. When the lower quarters rotted out so did parts of the trunk or floors.

If the only rot on the car is a rust hole in the fender slap some metal tape over the hole and run it through inspection. That's legit in PA. If the inspection station you are going to is a shiny happy person, find another garage. It's not like some states where it's a state run station. They are independent garages.

If non enthusiast driver's aren't attentive when driving, why would there be an expectation that they would be attentive to the condition of their car?

I'm really surprised by the number of people in this thread that have a problem with inspection.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/11/10 8:16 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
SilverFleet wrote:
I wanted to go faster and get better MPG's, that's all. Sorry if I offended any "Green" people in here. Please spare me the baloney, I'm sure many of you have modified your cars' emissions equipment in the past, or will in the future, in the search to go faster I actually forgot: On my newer 2009 WRX, Subaru actually let it leave the factory with a good flowing, less restrictive exhaust system, so none of that stuff needs to happen. I'm pretty sure it even has high flow cats!
Quite the contrary. I've actually thought of a MS + catalyst system on my '73 GTV. If we drove it more, I probably would. I hate the headaches I get from long drives. I'll speak for the Subaru Engineer who put a lot of hard work into your car, only for you to pretend you know better than he/she does. A lot of work is put into those cars so that you can have your fun with minimal impact on the environment and have it last for longer than you will own it. And thanks to excuses like yours, we now face LEVIII and Tier3. So I guess thanks for letting me keep my job....

Why couldn't Subaru let him have MORE fun with MORE MPG like he did, then?

I guess i've got no dog in this fight. Here we have no inspection of any kind. I daily drive my gasoline powered car that does a GREAT impression of a chipped diesel truck with all the black smoke it blows under onset of boost, with no cat, no muffler, and a 2.5 long 3" straight pipe exhaust dumping out the front bumper. I get no hassles other than the few times that i end up blowing fireballs at cop cars.

The hilarity of it all? It averages 7mpg higher throughout a tank than it did from factory.

The huge manatee.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i0PmPrsjYzjX2v1YG2FmyUzjbFpLVTIBiL66mbInZ2TSJA4s65gUdxiZ07ROSOXx