ncjay
ncjay Reader
5/8/11 9:01 p.m.

Recently picked up a 97 Talon. Odds are it will wind up as a track car/race car of some kind in a year or two. Anything I need to look out for or keep an eye on? It's a non turbo car. Thanks for any and all advice.

dogbreath
dogbreath New Reader
5/8/11 9:42 p.m.

If it's non-turbo then it is FWD? Assuming it is not AWD swapped or anything. If so then you don't have any of the major DSM problems to worry about. General maintenance should do 'er.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
5/8/11 9:49 p.m.

ummmm more info needed. 2.0 or 2.4? mitsu or chrysler version of engine.....

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/11 9:27 a.m.

The 420a has been less than stellar in our 97 Talon Lemons car due to oiling problems. Otherwise it is a great engine. Good power, likes to rev, etc. I would look for a windage tray, higher capcity oil pan, accusump....something to keep the oil near the pickup. Other than popping engines, the Talon has been a great platform for a race car. Cheap parts, pretty easy on tires and brakes and otherwise reliable.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
5/9/11 9:28 a.m.

i hope it was cheap. not a great choice otherwise.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/9/11 9:42 a.m.

Fancy heavy Neon.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/9/11 10:00 a.m.

Check the front shock towers, INCREDIBLY prone to rust/rot/failness.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
5/9/11 10:09 a.m.

They're prone to lower ball joint failure, which at speed would wreck that whole side of the car.

But as far as i know they're still under a permanent free replacement recall. If the lower ball joints are worn, you can take it to the dealer (dodge or mitsu, hmmm) and get em replaced for free, or at least thats how it was a few years ago.

ncjay
ncjay Reader
5/10/11 5:37 p.m.

Apologies for the lack of response, kind of busy these days. O.K. - more of the story. Working in a shop, guy drives in and says, "I'll take $400 for the car or it's going to the junkyard." Since it's still street legal and in good shape, it's easily worth $400 to me. A touch over 100,00 miles and everything seems to be in good working order. Front wheel drive, 2.0 liter 16v DOHC engine, and 5 speed manual tranny. Here in NC, rust is almost never an issue unless the car is from the north. Thanks for filling me in on lower ball joint failure. That's a big need to know thing. I'm also figuring that being a Mitsubishi, finding parts won't be terribly difficult and there are several engine swap options if the need ever arises. It's also the first FWD car I've ever owned. Originally, I was thinking Chumpcar or LeMons racer, but the car is still in pretty nice shape. If it was just a bit more beat up, then maybe.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
5/10/11 6:27 p.m.

saw a video of a guy with a fwd talon turbo'd runnin low 11s. sounds cool to me

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/11 8:02 p.m.

they make a decent DD

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OpCLxDitIyCMZyVcyuY7OwhKeMNhhM2ZT6kyjfkGKC3EiGnlLCyXSps0TKiHnsz5