1 2 3 4 5 6
JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
6/14/19 8:33 a.m.

A friend of mine and I once took an RX4 down from its wheel stands with an a-frame engine hoist, jimmied the ignition cylinder off, and somehow found enough 1st gen rx7 wheels with air in them to enable us to push it up to the front office. We got the chewing out of our lives,  but they sold me the car. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/14/19 8:36 a.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Email sent.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/16/19 3:11 p.m.

went to the JY today for the first time in 2 years. 

saw this Volvo 740... 

nothing special till I saw this... 

I'd be curious to know more about the history of this sticker.. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
6/16/19 3:25 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

That decal on a Volvo indicates that someone purchased the car from their local dealer for overseas delivery. They took delivery in Europe (usually at Volvo factory) and toured around with it before having it shipped home. Now the important part...Because Volvo did not have control of the shipping, they got extra rust proofing, and were always California emission spec. On a wagon they did not get roof racks or third seats, as those were dealer installed. As a 240 wagon driver, I search them out when I need a replacement car.

spacecadet
6/16/19 3:25 p.m.

Sure enough.. Volvo has a special buying program with discounts and global warranty for diplomats! 

https://www.volvocars.com/diplomat

spacecadet
6/16/19 3:26 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to spacecadet :

That decal on a Volvo indicates that someone purchased the car from their local dealer for overseas delivery. They took delivery in Europe (usually at Volvo factory) and toured around with it before having it shipped home. Now the important part...Because Volvo did not have control of the shipping, they got extra rust proofing, and were always California emission spec. On a wagon they did not get roof racks or third seats, as those were dealer installed. As a 240 wagon driver, I search them out when I need a replacement car.

very interesting. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/4/19 5:42 p.m.

Went to a couple yards over the weekend to pickup some more eBay fodder. 

Lambo Doors, or Transformer in mid transformation to Space Alien Robot?

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/4/19 5:50 p.m.

I also saw my first VW CC, and found out tht there was such a thing as a VW CC at about the same time.

I really want to swap these seats into something; they were in perfect shape.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/26/19 7:25 p.m.

Went to a yard I don't hit very often the other day. 

It's a cool JY, with some interesting finds.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
9/27/19 2:43 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

If that Alfa is a 3 liter it has a lot of things worth grabbing, not limited to the engine. If it is a 2.5 just walk away.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
9/27/19 4:00 p.m.

That Alfa has such a sad looking face with the hood up. You would think they would have designed it to look better in that position.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
9/27/19 6:46 p.m.

In reply to GhiaMonster :

Lets face it. The Milano was never a looker. Damn good car though and the 3.0 liter"Verde" cars rip.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/27/19 7:10 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I was surprised how well the sidemarkers sold.   I don't mess with the big stuff anymore.  

b13990
b13990 Reader
9/27/19 8:00 p.m.

Buddy of mine had the very rare 2.5L, AWD version of that Alfa Romeo. It was called the "Quadrifoglio di Plomo."

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/27/19 8:12 p.m.

Is that the engine used in the Hawk Stratos replica/kit cars? smiley

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/28/19 3:13 p.m.

Short JY day yesterday due to rain (and lightning), but still saw some interesting stuff.

Check out the tweed in the Rad Corolla wagon

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
9/28/19 5:20 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Cooter :

If that Alfa is a 3 liter it has a lot of things worth grabbing, not limited to the engine. If it is a 2.5 just walk away.

The transaxle from the platinum version is worth $$ if its still the original one.  That's a silver or gold 2.5 in the pics though. I would actually prefer the gold or silver though, you don't have to worry about the sketchy antilock brakes or the horrible seats in the Verde.  I had a Milano gold and drove it quite a bit, they are actually reasonably easy to work on and decently reliable as far as not getting stuck on the side of the road, but they are kinda awful at being a useful everyday car.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
9/28/19 6:07 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Yes the Alfa "Busso" v6 in Milano/155 is the engine in some Hawk Stratos, but it is easier to use the unit from a 164 because it is already arranged to be transverse, and you need the 164 transaxle anyway. I have heard  of one Hawk being assembled with a proper Dino engine/transaxle combo toolaugh, as well as a few 4 cylinder onessad

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
9/28/19 6:11 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Milano owners, well Alfisti in general are passionate about their cars, and I support that , although I doubt I will ever own one.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/28/19 10:05 p.m.

I just sent two side markers to Spain.   I really hope they are the same as the US spec...

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
9/29/19 12:24 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

It should be fine, some of them came with US spec bumpers in other countries, and I don't think the euro bumpers even have side marker lights.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
10/15/19 4:27 p.m.

More Italians...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/15/19 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

How is the left rear 1/4 on this X1/9? If un-rusted could you remove it? Needs to be sawed off, it is welded on. My car is badly rusted on the wheel arch, and I was contemplating hand hammering a new one to weld on.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
10/15/19 4:46 p.m.

Not sure.  Seemed ike it wasn't horrible.

This is the only photos I have of it.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
10/15/19 5:12 p.m.

And a little visit to Germany...

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w7qOky0kOcczfXoswtH0oTfWjbQGc27DgRmfVObsLBULoJOPpTxFRx5BXgYBLQVO