turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/20/14 11:45 p.m.

So I've got a pretty nice 88 Porsche 944 turbo: Linky to Mein Silver Rose but to be honest, I'm just not in love with it like I thought I'd be. It's perfectly nice, but much like was discussed in another thread recently, it's limits are so much past the limits of the general populace that I mostly just burble around town because anything else just empties my bank account due to the cost of fuel, parts and potential tickets. Being currently unemployed I can't afford to do track days like I'd hoped and it's not a great autocrosser, but it works just fine for having a little fun.

So I'm kinda pining for my old Fiat X-1/9 since it was the one that got away to some extent. It would be slower, its a targe convertible, its better on gas and the driving experience would be a bit more exuberant at pedestrian speeds. I know how to make them reliable and the money from selling the 951 would help quite a bit with parts, etc.

The flip side is that I do enjoy the creature comforts of the 951 (PW, PDL, PS, etc.) so my thoughts turn towards The Answer (Miata) since I could probably get a decent NB for the cost of my 951 which would have many of the comforts that I'd like in a daily driver. I've driven an NC automatic before and I enjoyed it quite a bit, so I'm not just pulling this idea out of my bum.

Ultimately I'd like something I could take to the coast for the weekend without much fuss after a week of commuting around town, but would provide some "fun" driving experiences in return. Since I'm currently unemployed, something simple and inexpensive will help quite a bit and a 951 doesn't always fit that bill.

Thoughts from the collective? Should I lay off the beer before bed and focus on finding a job and quit day-dreaming about cars?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/21/14 12:02 a.m.

The answer is: Never Meet Your Heros.

NBs are pretty cool. I like that idea. There's even a nice 2002 with hardtop in the classifieds.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/21/14 6:04 a.m.

The Fiat should be absurdly inexpensive, as there just isn't much of a market for them. They are also hard to find in any kind of well-preserved shape. They are one of the most joyful cars to drive slow I've had the pleasure of encountering, but they are SLOW by today's standards.

You really can't go wrong with a Miata.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
5/21/14 7:00 a.m.

You're in Washington, right? If you choose to go another route, how soon would you be looking to let the 951 go and for roughly how many dollars?

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
5/21/14 7:08 a.m.

Bryan! Long time no talk to. If you are back in your old home area, look me up. We are running autocrosses in the Glasgow area, and we have a new Classic Street Car class for your car ...

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
5/21/14 7:15 a.m.

I'll be home briefly in June/July. I'll have to come get lost in a sea of cones then.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
5/21/14 7:15 a.m.

Step 1: Re-establish gainful employment.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zTHkpqfrB3SlGPT969ykAp72piT8RnJIdw6VCvL1bUJovByaNoF4vhgReK3k3q5U