neckromacr Reader
May 19, 2011 10:44 p.m.

So I just moved into a house and have an extra room for a project in my driveway.

I've been mulling it over whether to let my Scirooco go into project mode and get a vanilla commuter, or get something more interesting and keep DD the Scirocco.

Well I was talking with a buddy today about one of the long term goals with the Scirocco was to build an ABA 16v franken motor. I was going to use a custom chip with the stock Monotronic system. Which more or less means I need a complete running motor out of a MK3 VW.

My house while having a lovely drive way is garage-less. The thoughts of hauling a rebuilt engine out of the basement seems daunting and ripe for something to go wrong.

I started combining the two ideas, no garage and need for a near complete motor and gear. Why not just buy a MK3, park it in the extra spot. It seems like a good idea, I can use the engine bay for all my rebuilding, and once its together I can even use the MK3 to test it and make sure it runs before transplanting it to the Scirocco. Bonus being that the car might be had on the cheap (rear end collision?) and any extra body parts can be sold off to fund the engine build.

Obviously when not working on the car, it would be covered as not to raise the ire of the neighbors.

Anybody ever try anything like this before? Does this sound incredibly stupid?

jmthunderbirdturbo New Reader
May 19, 2011 10:53 p.m.

donor cars are never a bad idea.

-J0N

thummmper Reader
May 19, 2011 10:57 p.m.

be careful..you may like the mk3 better. I was wooed by my eagle vision in an attempt to drive the full tank down, but I didnt have a week to do that. theres an old rule governing sciroccos. and you have passed--it must be spelled right before a wrench can be taken to it. I am completing a year long transplant in a senior trailerpark behind the coach fronting the railroad at the beach--tedious and I lay off the grinding and welding after 6 pm and sundays. one complaint and I am done for.

neckromacr Reader
May 19, 2011 11:46 p.m.

I had a MK3 previous to my first Scirocco, I like them well enough, but I was left wanting a lighter more rev happy car. I liked my first Scirocco so well I found another after the first one got totaled.

That said, a few things learned, CIS-E is good but not great. Monotronic is a very well rounded stock management system once you have it set right with good aftermarket support. I honestly don't think I have the patience or time to fine tune a Megasquirted frankenmotor.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

MX-5 Cup Racing: Live on Your Screen This Friday and Saturday

10 hours ago in News

Catch all the action of the Global MX-5 Cup race at Road America live this weekend.

How to Run Compressed Air at Home

11 hours ago in Articles

A guide for installing an air compressor and air tools in your home garage.

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI 4Motion

11 hours ago in New Car Reviews

Say hello to the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S with 4Motion. It comes with a turbocharged 1.8-liter engine that is ...

You Need This: $1600 Street Racer Ford Festiva

12 hours ago in News

It already has a GRM sticker and everything.

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

12 hours ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Your Projects: smokindav’s VW GTI Project

13 hours ago in News

Love a good MK5 GTI? You might enjoy this build thread.

Wing It: Simple Talk on the Complex Subject of Aerodynamics

1 day ago in Articles

Whether sleek, boxy or somewhere in between, all cars interact with the air while racing down the track.

2018 Acura TLX V6 A-Spec

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Acura is introducing something new for the 2018 model year: the Acura TLX V6 A-Spec. It's the highest trim level ...

You Need This: 1989 Suzuki Swift GTi

1 day ago in News

For sale: one of Suzuki's under-appreciated hot hatches.

Buyer's Guide: Chevy Cobalt SS

1 day ago in Articles

All the information you'll need on GM’s entry in the sport compact wars.

Wednesday Night GRM Live: Are You Using the Right Chemicals for the Job?

2 days ago in News

What do all these cans even do!?!?

Project SVT Focus Gets Caught Up on Maintenance

2 days ago in Project Cars

Once again, some off-road action sent our project focus under the knife.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
FzinZX0ZRbyLF2fLxC0XJPr1yBnEYWvf