Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/24/15 3:30 p.m.

Someone call and see if this is for real.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=06484&endYear=1996&modelCode1=CORV&showcaseOwnerId=69199683&startYear=1992&makeCode1=CHEV&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&searchRadius=100&showcaseListingId=392028787&mmt=%5BCHEV%5BCORV%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=398943689&Log=0

The ZR-1 has to be worth more than that right?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/24/15 3:35 p.m.

Not a heck of a lot more. I see them all of the time with any miles on them in the mid teens. So many people stuck them away in the garage and they build so many of them, they just aren't worth a huge amount.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/24/15 3:39 p.m.

More costly to fix as well from what I understand.

Harvey
4/24/15 3:41 p.m.

They only made 6939. That isn't that many and that year makes 405hp.

Plus the other regular C4s from those years I'm seeing in the area are going for $2-4k more than that.

Harvey
4/24/15 3:41 p.m.

They do require some special care, but everyone says the engine is very robust.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
4/24/15 3:43 p.m.

It never hurts to check it out. Maybe you could buy it, shine it up, and it'll be real nice.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/24/15 3:44 p.m.

In reply to Harvey:

I don't believe that is a ZR-1 Corvette(95% positive).....the lack of seeing that giant aluminum intake in the "You can almost see the engine bay" picture is very disturbing. Couple that with the car having the peasant vette sawblades instead of the ZR1 cutters or the 5 spokes the late ZR1's had and you have what is probably just a normal LT1/4 corvette with a 6sp, and an owner who is a dipE36 M3.

Harvey
4/24/15 3:45 p.m.

I dunno. I should drive my bosses car before I even think about getting one of these. He has a ZR-1.

Harvey
4/24/15 3:46 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Harvey: I don't believe that is a ZR-1 Corvette(95% positive).....the lack of seeing that giant aluminum intake in the "You can almost see the engine bay" picture is very disturbing. Couple that with the car having the peasant vette sawblades instead of the ZR1 cutters or the 5 spokes the late ZR1's had and you have what is probably just a normal LT1/4 corvette with a 6sp, and an owner who is a dipE36 M3.

This is what I'm thinking. He just mislabeled the thing.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/24/15 3:49 p.m.

In reply to Harvey:

You open the hood on a ZR-1 and you instantly know its special(partially due to the engine consuming all space) That one doesn't appear to have that. Plus a lack of badging, incorrect wheels, and that color(There was a zr1 burgundy, but all of those I've seen were an anniversary edition, so 1993 IIRC)

Harvey
4/24/15 3:50 p.m.

Yeah, we had to get a special socket to get one of the rear plugs out of my bosses car. That ZR-1 motor is a work of art.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/24/15 4:33 p.m.

Not a ZR1. Not even an LT4.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/24/15 4:35 p.m.

yeah that's not a ZR1

first clue without hood up, at any time, is the high mounted 3rd brake light. in 91 when the cars got the rounder bumpers, they got the 3rd light mounted between the tails. the ZR1 has it up above the hatch like the 86-90 cars.

second is they are so fat it's hard to miss, third is the deep dish in the center of the wheel where the lugs go.

that is, however, the best C4 color short of admiral blue. i may be biased though.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/24/15 4:45 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: More costly to fix as well from what I understand.

If you can get parts. A lot of the Mercury Marine specific parts were simply not available. They made enough to make the cars and then that's it.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
4/24/15 5:07 p.m.

No way it's a zr1 for that price

Raze
Raze UltraDork
4/24/15 5:40 p.m.

Welcome to GRM...where every detail of every car...by year...make...model...bug splat...and option code is known...by a picture

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
4/24/15 6:39 p.m.

just a regular LT1/6 speed Corvette.. says so right in the text.. nothing to see here...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/24/15 7:47 p.m.
Raze wrote: Welcome to GRM...where every detail of every car...by year...make...model...bug splat...and option code is known...by a picture

Nobody is blasting out RPO codes based on three pixels... but the ZR-1 is very distinctive. Heck, there's a super super easy way to tell: ZR1s had hatch mounted 3rd brake lights and squared taillights in the "bulbous" tail, and no non-ZR-1 was ever made with that combination. Concave tail? Not a ZR-1. 3rd brake light in the body? Not a ZR-1.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/24/15 9:48 p.m.
Raze wrote: Welcome to GRM...where every detail of every car...by year...make...model...bug splat...and option code is known...by a picture

The side vents are also different.

I also think that some people ask too much for a late C4. Some want decent C5 money for them.

drdisque
drdisque Reader
4/24/15 9:49 p.m.

A high mileage ZR1 may be almost that cheap. Nearly all ZR1's have very low mileage as most were weekend cars or basically just stored with the expectation that they would become collectible. A few were raced and no longer survive. Very few were driven a lot. A high mileage ZR1 would be an odd (and likely undesirable) duck.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/25/15 8:49 a.m.
drdisque wrote: A high mileage ZR1 may be almost that cheap. Nearly all ZR1's have very low mileage as most were weekend cars or basically just stored with the expectation that they would become collectible. A few were raced and no longer survive. Very few were driven a lot. A high mileage ZR1 would be an odd (and likely undesirable) duck.

i'm having a really hard time deciding to save up for a ZR1 or a GT-R as my early 90's beast. i wish i could just find an LT5 for my car instead.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
4/25/15 9:31 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Nobody is blasting out RPO codes based on three pixels... but the ZR-1 is very distinctive. Heck, there's a super super easy way to tell: ZR1s had hatch mounted 3rd brake lights and squared taillights in the "bulbous" tail, and no non-ZR-1 was ever made with that combination. Concave tail? Not a ZR-1. 3rd brake light in the body? Not a ZR-1.

i was able to tell just by the shape of the engine cover in the pic- definitely an LT1 engine cover.. and i thought all the later C4's got the wider bodies like the ZR1, with maybe slight differences so as to not offend the ZR1 guys by having the plain models look too much like theirs..

one of my uncles has a 92ish ZR1, and honestly from more than about 100 feet away it looks just like every other C4 Vette on the road. it only gets unique when the hood is popped and you can see the engine with all the stuff (intake, runners, valve covers) that he had powder coated light blue to match the exterior of the car for some reason when the engine was built by that one tuner guy in Chicago a few years back..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UOiY3aw0MoCeM34xm1ecrq9tdrvHVuEjbNIUlUthUsoAB3hOEeauGiXaQ7vhXzxh