Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/11 3:59 p.m.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2566359341.html

1987 Chevy Sprint Turbo, built by Suzuki. In the mid-'80s these were one of the rarest and most acclaimed factory "pocket rockets" (economy hatchbacks with souped-up engines and suspensions). 95 HP intercooled turbo three-cylinder, weighs about 1800 lb. (In 1987, that was about the same power-to-weight ratio as a Porsche 944!)

Original interior is all there, driver's seat is badly torn, lots of peeling vinyl. No reason why you couldnt' swap in a good interior from another two-door Sprint, though.

Body is totally straight, glass is all perfect, lights nice, original paint has lots of pits but pretty good. All plastic ground effects in good shape. All four plastic wheel covers included.

Two new tires on front (hard to find decent 12" tires anymore!)

Engine needs major work. Will barely start and idle, no power. Could be fuel injection but I can't promise that it doesn't need a rebuild. Turbocharger is definitely bad, no boost. A new turbo is about $600 or the old one can be rebuilt for about $300. Transmission pops out of first gear but otherwise shifts smoothly and doesn't make any bad noises.

Have lots of new parts not installed yet: ignition, filters, balljoints, rear shocks, water lines, etc.

Asking $800. No ridiculous lowball offers. Pay my asking price and get all the spare parts too, plus I'll make you a good deal on a set of 14" basketweave wheels that will fit the car (IMPOSSIBLE to find anymore since everyone wants 16s or 17s on their Civics). Please save this great classic car from the crusher or from being parted out! You will need to tow it home, or I can deliver it anywhere in Portland for a reasonable fee (to cover U-haul trailer rental plus my time).

Email for a link to more pictures.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
8/26/11 4:08 p.m.

That is AWESOME!

Probably the closest thing we ever got to a kei car?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
8/26/11 4:21 p.m.

He wishes it had 95hp! Try 77 when brand new and not running like a piece of garbage... I have 4 of these currently collecting rust in various places across Alberta. I actually just found out I had a long block plus another spare top end in my uncles garden shed a couple of days ago.

In case you are wondering, THE guy to talk to about them is on this forum (zombiewoof). He campaigned one at GRM $2005 I believe!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qsD3DSAKvJ347vcHwL01pPHLt6PWKbi8kCgRcgW7HIqcmMwir4aPZUTXMQ8SoH9P