The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
8/15/19 8:18 a.m.

It’s all about the Mazdas for Clint Griest and Johanna Foege. The pair that met through the Mazda community now teams up to take on the pony cars in the SCCA’s formidable E Street Prepared autocross class in the most unlikely of machines: a 2006 Mazdaspeed6.

Despite the model’s lack of aftermarket support, Clint has turned the turbocharged, all-wheel-drive challenger into a serious class contender and has no plans of stopping until he drives the Mazdaspeed6 to an SCCA national title.

But Clint’s autocross story didn’t start in a Mazda. It began in a Mercedes-Benz.

“I had gotten out of the Marine Corps in ’08, in the middle of ’08, and some friends back home, which was central Illinois, asked me to come out to a local autocross with the Champaign County Sports Car Club,” he recalls.

“I went out, rode in some cars, and thought, ‘I should probably do this.’ At the time, I had a Mercedes-Benz C230 sedan. I took it out for a couple autocrosses and just got hooked on it.”

After autocrossing the Benz for a year, Clint jumped ship, hopping into a Mazdaspeed3 instead. “I had met some really great people over the four years that I had the ’Speed3. It’s a really great community,” he recalls. “In 2013, I would meet my now-fiancée because of the Mazda community, so a lot of good things have come out of that.”

That same year, Clint purchased the Mazdaspeed6–initially for drag racing. After modifying it and fitting R-compound tires, he learned that the SCCA would place his mid-size sedan alongside traditional, rear-drive pony cars in the E Street Prepared class.

Read the rest of the story

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/15/19 9:49 a.m.

Saw this thing in action. Evil, evil, evil machine. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
8/16/19 9:26 a.m.

Amazing work. Beautiful machine. Almost enough to make me want to keep my ms6. Almost 

Our Preferred Partners
vJ0AzDwr4AcGJHdkagsw6lM80QbAGANbCLOdlTdJibO0pEKZ6aZzDKgppsuS8vBd