Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/13/17 8:04 p.m.

What? I'm all for flooding Nazis.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/17 8:10 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Realky? I think more about the Dead Kennedys. NSFW BTW...

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/13/17 8:49 p.m.

I live in Gainesville and my friend is the head of safety and information for UF. He has made it VERY CLEAR. Stay away from the UF campus. There will be riots. Be careful yall.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/17 9:03 p.m.

In reply to B13Birk :

For those of us not from/familiar with the area, how far off the route between the host hotel & track is the campus? I presume it's south of there somewhere?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/13/17 9:13 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to B13Birk :

For those of us not from/familiar with the area, how far off the route between the host hotel & track is the campus? I presume it's south of there somewhere?

Or, alternatively, how close to the mass stupidity is the hotel and racetrack?

Id like to know ahead of time wether or not to expect trouble for my elderly parents that are coming with us. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
10/13/17 9:16 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Realky? I think more about the Dead Kennedys. NSFW BTW...

Oh c'mon like I don't know that song. As a teenager I considered it multo lame and i like the DK. I have a pretty good grasp on what group hate is. If I want to take this nonsense seriously I'll listen to ICPs ' f#ck the world' to drown it out.  "the Berlin wall both sides of it". Until then it's The Ramones. 

B13Birk
10/13/17 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

University is a haul from the track. You wont need to worry about impacts of anything out that way. Gainesville is designed on a grid. My advice would be to avoid the Orange area in this image. Taking both Williston (which turns into Waldo road) on the outer loop as well as I75 North then getting off at the 39th exit to get to the track depending on where everyone is staying. Im not sure where the Host hotel is. They are expecting "pop up" protests all over town close to campus. My advice would be to limit eating out and such around Butler Plaza on Thursday and Friday. They are expecting things to die down by the football game Saturday but there are reports of busses of "professional protestors" coming in so who knows. The state is prepared for emergency like operations through until Monday. My prayer is that this all blows over peacefully. 

" />

B13Birk
10/13/17 9:34 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Check my response to Pete Above. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/17 10:26 p.m.

In reply to Patrick:

You'd be surprised how many racist there are in the upper class. Thru could very well fill a fancy hotel easily. 

With that said, wish I was going this year lmao

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/17 11:04 p.m.

In reply to B13Birk :

Host hotel is right off nw 39th at 75.  Straight shot across 39th to the track, well north of UF.  

Being from Cleveland, i understand the buses of "professional protesters" as every time the police do something wrong they show up.  I'm planning to limit my Gainesville experience to the hotel and the track(and Hogan's for a sandwich) then leave town Sunday morning for the beach.  

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/17 11:05 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Patrick:

You'd be surprised how many racist there are in the upper class. Thru could very well fill a fancy hotel easily. 

With that said, wish I was going this year lmao

I know, but Alabama Man don't stay at no $200+ per night hotels wink

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
10/14/17 12:02 a.m.

I mean... I could be talked into recreating this Blues Brothers scene... I would just need to shave and I could pull off a decent John Belushi 

https://youtu.be/ulCw7RJ5eE8

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/17 12:36 a.m.

A couple of you are nibbling around the edges of going political here. Let's not cross that line (other than Nazis. Everyone gets to pile on Nazis).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/17 4:48 a.m.

The hotel is a good 7~8 miles from UoF. Here's a map showing the hotel, the campus and the drag strip. So the hotel won't get caught up in anything that happens at UoF through sheer proximity. Just don't go far SE of the hotel, go straight east to get to the strip on NW 39th Ave.

Most of the time, when this asshat decides to besmirch someplace with his foul presence, nothing happens - that's the best thing that can happen for everyone involved except him. 5 dudes who were already nazis show up to his little rally and he leaves. To minimize the chance of this happening, he chooses the most nazi-unfriendly places to appear to maximize counter-protesters and thus draw more attention to his cause. If violence breaks out, that helps him paint himself as a victim to people who don't know E36 M3 about politics, race relations, or history, which is his ideal target audience.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/17 9:03 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Most of the time, when this asshat decides to besmirch someplace with his foul presence, nothing happens - that's the best thing that can happen for everyone involved except him. 5 dudes who were already nazis show up to his little rally and he leaves. To minimize the chance of this happening, he chooses the most nazi-unfriendly places to appear to maximize counter-protesters and thus draw more attention to his cause. If violence breaks out, that helps him paint himself as a victim to people who don't know E36 M3 about politics, race relations, or history, which is his ideal target audience.

This needs to be read a lot of times by a lot of people. People on the extremes feed on conflict. The worst thing you could do to them in ignore them, because if they are ignored they are irrelevant and to be irrelevant is death to their cause. They will die on the vine.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/17 2:52 p.m.

I've been warning you people about this sort of thing for a long time. This is why we need to move the Challenge to New England next year...

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/17 4:22 p.m.

We could move it to Berkeley where I live. It's always peace......... Um, nevermind.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/14/17 4:47 p.m.

Thanks  Dead Kennedys 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/14/17 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

I support this 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/14/17 6:27 p.m.
Woody said:

I've been warning you people about this sort of thing. This is why we need to move the Challenge to New England next year...

I bet we could find a flood and a Nazi or two to negate this.cheeky

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/17 6:47 p.m.
Woody said:

I've been warning you people about this sort of thing. This is why we need to move the Challenge to New England next year...

DC area is right in the middle.  Just sayin... 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/14/17 6:53 p.m.

I could help in north Carolina....

We have zmax.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
10/15/17 10:47 a.m.

Weather plus scenery is great in NE in October.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/17 7:53 p.m.

sounds like to flood waters are full of flounder. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/16/17 12:53 a.m.

I just realized i'm approximately as far from Gainesville as i am from Guatemala. I'm pretty sure i'd rather take my chances in Gainesville, although i'm not sure my politics actually fit in any better there. cheeky

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0B7pN85jARiGeQaQUvP0zNfiUOlZzZJ7SbaNzHaSvMZcP9473QYGmbUb7aYRX2I2