1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/17/17 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I don't think that you know the meaning of the word propaganda. Dictionaries are your friend. 

The media is largely broken in this country. People don't want to pony up for quality journalism, so we get sensationalism because it pays the rent. I don't so much blame the journalists. They are just doing what they have to.

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver New Reader
10/17/17 7:15 p.m.
Grizz said:

Media/politicians are doing a wonderful job making sure Spencers name gets out there even more.

I can't tell if they're stupid or malicious.

Why not both?  "They're Stupidly Malicious!"

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/17/17 7:50 p.m.

It's not the folks giving speeches and expressing their ideas that are problem. The problem is the other side who have somehow come to the conclusion that free speech does not include anything they disagree with and saying something offensive is the same as actually inflicting harm on another person so they think it i s ok to preemptively attack them before they can even speak.

The irony is rich with the antifa clowns.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/17/17 7:55 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Punching a nazi is better than free speech. 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/17/17 8:11 p.m.

The problem has been growing since the 90s then after the shock wore off from 9/11 it took off exponentially. 

I remember being in Afghanistan with a number of co-workers (I only mention this because it's literally the perfect echo chamber, just you and 50 dudes in the middle of the desert with 24 hour cable news and semi compatible political views) and a few actually mentioned that they follow Milo Yiannopoulos on social media and enjoyed following him.

My co-workers weren't Nazi's but this person upset the Democrats, the media gave attention to the lefts butt-hurt, they ate it up because it was funny that the liberals were upset, then the cycle repeated until this guy wielded something resembling influence.

I think I read that UF is charging 10k and some change for the event (can't charge more due to court rulings) but it's going to cost them half a million in security. All the Nazi's and hard right people are just seeing it's costing the liberals money so thus it is good. Mind you they're bound by precedent to provide security due to a ruling by the Supreme Court so UF can't just say "berkeley it leave it to the 3%ers" and point to why this shouldn't happen when it inevitably gets out of control.

We need to call a spade a spade and start ignoring the fringes again. Not going to happen any time soon because rather than try to reform and elect a more centrist candidate within a party people are registering as independent (30ish percent) giving up their right in a large number of cases to vote in the primaries. So the cycle continues in perpetuity by putting up candidates from both sides which are further and further towards the fringes. 

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
10/17/17 8:46 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to T.J. :

Punching a NAZI is free speech. wink

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/17/17 9:08 p.m.

In reply to WildScotsRacing :

My right to swing my fist ends just past that NAZIs nose!

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver New Reader
10/17/17 9:33 p.m.
dculberson said:

Sounds like the NCO's unofficial "Airman's Miranda Rights", which began with, "You have the right to swing first.  If you choose to do so, I can and will lay you out...".  Brownshirt tries the hands-on approach to protest, well, he better know his rights.  ;-)

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/17/17 9:58 p.m.

Are you guys really against free speech and pro assaulting others? I'll defend their rights to say whatever they want even if I don't agree with it. The way it is supposed to work is that speaking your mind is a right and assaulting someone is a crime.

If it is ok in your minds to just punch people who don't agree with you then you should really think about where that ends up. It results in a lot worse of a country than having a handful of goofballs making speeches that you disagree with. Should a white separatist just go around punching everyone that does not agree with them? Who decides which is the acceptable opinion? Is there only o ne correct position o n any given topic?

Instead of committing a crime of assaulting someone, it would be way better if people ignored them and then they would go back to being irrelevant. This is the real life version of don't feed the trolls and you guys are falling for it.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
10/17/17 10:03 p.m.
dculberson said:

Bonus points if you shout things like “remember the Alamo!” And “this ones for Jesus” and “because all wheel drive is for pansys!” While your throwing fists around. 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
10/17/17 10:46 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to T.J. :

Except for all those times the nazis they punched weren't actual berkeleying nazis.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
10/18/17 7:39 a.m.

I try to avoid being confused with a Nazi. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/18/17 8:02 a.m.

If someone confuses you for a Nazi, you're doing a lot of things wrong and should probably reevaluate your life choices.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
10/18/17 8:20 a.m.

These days, if you disagree with someone over anything, you can be called a Nazi.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/17 8:20 a.m.

If you're going to wave a flag that represents the worst example of hatred, bigorty, injustice, and genocide in world history, then there are people who take that as you waiving your right to free speech.  I take it as you waiving your right for me to associate with you and cross you off the Christmas card list.  

You have the right to assemble, speak, whatever you want.  You can expose yourself to the rest of us as to what you truly are.  Anyone who doesn't agree also has the right to express their displeasure with your opinion.  Nobody has the right to throw hands until they are thrown at them.  The inherent problem lies in your pursuit of happiness as a bigot nazi racist involving the desire to ethnically cleanse the USA.  This infringes on others right to life and liberty and their pursuit of happiness.  When you beat down someone who doesn't think like you want them to, you're just as much the problem as they are.  

I just choose to avoid conflicts and try my best not to flex my Internet muscles.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/18/17 9:42 a.m.

Back in my college days at an engineering school, we would get the annual Westboro Baptist church protesting whatever ungodly cause they were against that year. A large portion of my fellow classmates were tragically introverted nerds, heads hung and staring at their shoes as they walk to class, too lost in their coursework or World of Warcraft groups to give more than a passing glance to this protest. The inflammatory protest group simply could not attract a crowd and incite a reaction.

Each year this protest group would give up after a couple days and move on to the state college nearby. Each year, they got more attention at the other school, attracting equally obnoxious counter-protests. They would stay out there all week, long after giving up on my school of distracted dorks, fueled by the passionate reaction of these students, however justified they may have been. Guess what? No ones' minds ever changed each year during this protest. 

The moral of the story is don't feed the trolls. The worst thing you can do to people like this is take away their stage by ignoring them. Obviously the media won't do this, but we the people can. 

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
10/18/17 10:30 a.m.
Grizz said:

Media/politicians are doing a wonderful job making sure Spencers name gets out there even more.

I can't tell if they're stupid or malicious.

Yes.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
10/18/17 10:35 a.m.
FuzzWuzzy said:

These days, if you disagree with someone over anything, you can be called a Nazi.

or a racist. We just went through this. A local facebook group decided that what some of my family members said was "racist", so they photoshopped their facebook posts to create racists things (me included), "screen shot" them and then sent them into employers to get people fired. Luckily my employer is not an idiot and I showed the actual posts not the made up ones and they moved on. 

It's unbelievable what is considered "normal" now. Punching people you disagree with (or using a bike lock), trying to get people wrongly fired, etc is just idiotic. If you can't handle hearing different views than go hide in your cave. 

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/18/17 10:41 a.m.

Just remember, everyone, there are 1st amendment rights and there is hate speech (not protected). These morons use and promote hate speech. So whatever bad things happen to them, I really don't care. They are scum, plain and simple.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/18/17 10:56 a.m.
markwemple said:

Just remember, everyone, there are 1st amendment rights and there is hate speech (not protected). These morons use and promote hate speech. So whatever bad things happen to them, I really don't care. They are scum, plain and simple.

Except hate speech IS protected. For a simple reason - imagine what could happen if [insert politician you don't like here] becomes in charge of whatever part of governmnet has the power to define and suppress "hate speech".

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
10/18/17 10:58 a.m.

In reply to markwemple :

In your opinion. "Hate speech" is just the newest fad term to describe something that you (royal) don't like. Still protected. Still not worthy of physical violence. Physical violence is still illegal, no matter what the other person says. 

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
10/18/17 10:59 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Ministry of Truth.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
10/18/17 11:07 a.m.

In reply to markwemple :

But hate speech IS legal. It's literally saying something that someone else doesn't like.

Don't like it? Don't give them attention.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/18/17 12:07 p.m.

Don't feed the trolls and avoid the UF campus this weekend---- as it is bound to be a mess of press, nazis and antifa.    Instead---- have fun at the track and host hotel, and ignore those who are looking to cause trouble. 

There will be so much fun happening during the Challenge--- you won't even notice these troublemakers are in town.  Just don't turn on your TV!  

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
10/18/17 12:12 p.m.
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WmyfpXtWVD8WSXMb1wPZhkgHJ6HMEaVR8rmH44tSebNSXrxmdHgmgNtNIn1yy75t