DocV
DocV New Reader
5/13/16 11:57 a.m.

Any thoughts on a E110 Corolla or Prizm as a rallycross beater? I am probably going to look at this one this weekend:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5553082119.html

I should preface this by saying that I have not yet participated in a rallycross (two nearest sites are both ~120 miles away), just because I haven't wanted to submit my DD to the abuse. I am looking for a beater which can make the interstate trek, do the event and then make it home. I have looked at a couple of Ford Focuses (Focii?) and walked away for different reasons (rusty northern cars masquerading on ATL craigslist, crappy MPI engine in LX trim, etc).

Pros as I see it to this car are: 1) lightweight at ~2400 lbs vs ~2800 for the successive generation of Corolla (share the same 1zz-fe 1.8 liter engine, which IMO is a good engine).
2) I have 4 x 100 wheels lying around (extras for my E30) that could eventually wear some winter tires if I like rallycrossing.

Anything to look out for? Thanks.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/13/16 12:14 p.m.

Idk, other than rust, my last one of those was dead nuts reliable. My 101s were macstrut cars, my haynes seems to think those still are. I honestly don't remember, i always preferred the 101s. Suspension should be cheap and plentiful.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/13/16 12:33 p.m.

Sounds like a solid plan. I'm actually now surprise that I haven't seen one rallycrossed before.

NickD
NickD Dork
5/13/16 1:19 p.m.

I say go for it. Like has been said, Toyota reliability plus lightweight should make it work fairly well. Plus, they are kinda throwaway cars, so when you shotgun the fender with gravel, you won't feel too bad.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/13/16 1:33 p.m.

Never rallycrossed mine (Prizm lsi 5 speed) but it's textbook predictable on a gravel road, throttle will put the front where you want it, not a ton of understeer either on account of the light engine. Only run synthetic in the motor, I use M1 0w40.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MsE5LuAtM8VTiWOoXje9g2fzDtzZaNihQY5E1i9TaayaRDGyj2UPPwqvHhf3wHpF