Mike924
Mike924 Reader
12/13/19 10:11 a.m.

This is a little long, but here it goes.  

I have been driving the 2019 Elantra GT N-Line for 2 weeks now.  Put less than 1000km’s on it but a bit more than 500kms.  People have been asking how I like the car. Do I like the car?  So here it is in my own words what I think.

When I first test drove an Elantra, it was the GLS version and it was 3 years old.  My comparison was my 2007 MINI Cooper S.  Those two were totally different.  The MINI, although having computer issues, felt more put together, solid, and of better quality overall.  When I used the Sport mode, it was sporty.  You could feel the change in attitude.  The 2016 Elantra GT-GLS just felt lacking.  Event when changing the steering mode, I didn’t notice a change.  It all felt the same.  Even the steering wheel felt cheap in that car.  I know it was a 2016 Elantra and I bought a 2019 Elantra GT N-Line, but we need to know where we are starting, so it’s a bit of back story.

Let’s move on to the test drive of the N-Line version of the Elantra.  Yes, it is 3 years newer, and a model up, but it just felt better.  Better built than its earlier, older sibling from 3 years ago.  The steering wheel felt good in my hands.  It handled like a VW GTI, coming from me that is big praise, because it shows how much improvements have been made in 3 years.  The car felt spirited and willing.  It also sounded good to my ears, a nice rumble from the exhaust.  I worked out the deal with sales guy and picked up the car November 29th

Now we get to the real life part.  I have test drove lots of new cars and felt ok walking away.  This is the first one that I went back and bought.  What is it like to live with for the first couple of weeks?  Well, in a couple of words, Not Bad.  I am happy with my purchase.  It still sounds good to me.  The exhaust note is enjoyable, not intrusive or overbearing.  I can even make it burp and pop on down shifts.  The thing is, I like to hear my cars, and I can hear this one.  Compared to my old MINI the Elantra has a good, low burble that brings a smile to me just sitting at a stop light.  The engine has a surprisingly linear torque curve.  When opening it up, I can accelerate away from a stop and get to 100km/h (62.5mph) without knowing or realizing I am there.  It could get me in trouble if I am not careful.  To me that is another check in the cars fun column.  The cabin is a nice place to sit.  The seats are comfortable and supportive.  One negative I can say, and this is coming from someone who lives in a colder climate, is that the seats don’t heat up as fast as my old MINI, or my wife’s Kia Soul.  I guess it is a minor thing but it is a thing.  All the knobs and dials are placed logically and within reach.  I don’t have to hunt for anything.  An example is an Audi A4 S-Line from 2016 that was on my test list.  I am a VWAG fan, and have owned many VW’s and Audi’s, but it took 15 minutes on a 30 minute test drive to figure out the HVAC on that 2016 Audi.  Not something I could do on a regular basis.  Sometimes, easy is nice.  Speaking of nice, the heated steering wheel, warms up faster than the seats, a good perk in the winter months for me. The touch screen display in the center of the dash is nice, and the backup camera, which I thought I wouldn’t use, works as designed, and I find that I am using it, so a nice plus. I’ll take it and run with it.  My only other complaint with the interior is the pedal placement.  The gas pedal is a bit far away from the brake pedal for effective heal and toe downshifts.  I am getting it, but it is not an easy reach for me, more practice is needed. 

The outside of the car is aggressive.  The front spoiler is deep and ties in with the rest of the body lines really well.  I like the looks.  I would like a bigger rear spoiler on the back, it is a bit too subtle for me, and you can miss it if not looking for it.  The car in its black paint just looks mean, ready to play for keeps.  The grill, is a lot like other manufacturers and overly large.  When did the size get so big, that your car could swallow a small cat and not even notice?  Half of the grill isn’t even needed for cooling, it is a design thing, I know that, just not my cup of tea.  In fact when you look at the car from the front, if you were too remove the Hyundai badge, and park it next to a Mazda 3, it could be confused for the Mazda.  The only distinguishing difference is that the Elantra has more angles and the Mazda is rounder, but the styles are very similar. 

Overall I am happy and impressed with this car.  I would recommend it for anyone shopping for something new.  It may have less power than a VW GTI, but it is comparable to a Civic SI and Mazda 3 GT.  When the snow and salt is gone, and I get the 18” factory alloys back on the car I will be able to update with more handling opinions, for now the 16” winter tires are keeping the car solidly on the tarmac and allows me to toss it around a bit. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/13/19 10:17 a.m.

another satisfied customer. I really should be selling these things. 

morello159
morello159 Reader
12/13/19 10:34 a.m.

I've always loved the elegance of Hyundai/Kia's interior design - not too fussy, clean and simple. Kind of Swedish, almost. They've always been reliable and since 2012 even good looking. I'm glad that they're starting to finally drive a little better! 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/13/19 10:40 a.m.

My 2018 GT Sport M6 has 47k miles and has been trouble free and fun.   If I drive sanely I get 33MPG average.  Car is comfortable and quiet and the interior is handling kids well.  

Overall I am very happy with it.  

Only complaint is the OEM tires wore unevenly and relatively quickly but I got 35k out of them.   If that's the worst thing I'm ok.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Reader Services
12/13/19 10:48 a.m.

I might be jumping the gun here, but we recently had a loaner Elantra GT N-Line to review in a really awesome shade of blue.

Keep your eyes peeled for our review soon. wink

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
12/13/19 11:12 a.m.

I hope they release the i30N in the US one day, if not the Elantra GT N-line will probably still be my next car.

einy
einy HalfDork
12/13/19 1:04 p.m.

I wish they would offer the Technology package on the manual transmission version in the US ...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/13/19 1:43 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

I might be jumping the gun here, but we recently had a loaner Elantra GT N-Line to review in a really awesome shade of blue.

And why was I not notified? Seriously... I am feeling left out here. 

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
12/14/19 11:39 a.m.
bobzilla said:
Colin Wood said:

Seriously.  It's bobzilla for godssakes...

I think he needs a semi regular feature series "Bob's Korean Korner"

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/16/19 8:23 a.m.
OldGray320i said:
bobzilla said:
Colin Wood said:

Seriously.  It's bobzilla for godssakes...

I think he needs a semi regular feature series "Bob's Korean Korner"

I like where you're going with this.... maybe a little corner article like "readers rides" in the mag. 

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
12/16/19 8:24 a.m.

I can't wait to read the review.  I am interested to see if my views mirror my own.  Still liking the car.  Saturday was the first run through the slush and snow.  It handled it really well.  I was hoping for a real handbrake though, it would have made for serious fun with hand brake turns in the snow.  

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
1/16/20 6:41 a.m.

We are finally getting some winter snow and ice to drive through.  The car is handling it really well.  Still fun to drive and makes it through about 7cm of snow without issue at all.  The winter tires are holding their own and getting the snow moved without problem.  I will say one thing that I really do miss and that is a real handbrake.  The electric one is nice, but when you get into a nice open, snowy parking lot the inner teenager just wants to come out.  I miss doing donuts but I have started to master the Scandinavian Flick in a parking lot.  

Other item I have found is that the gear change is a bit sloppy so there may be some better bushings in the cars future.  

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/20 6:53 a.m.

I am really enjoying my Veloster N as well. I am at 4200 miles. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/16/20 10:12 a.m.

I hate you both. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/20 4:30 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I hate you both. 

devil

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
1/16/20 8:02 p.m.

I recently had a 2019 Elantra GT for a rental and it surprised me, in a good way. I've been in Hyundais from a few years ago, the last generation Elantra and Genesis Coupe. While they were good value, I didn't care for the overall package.  The interiors didn't have nice plastics and I wasn't a fan of the blue screens and lettering. Add a few years of development and I can see why the newer Hyundai and Kia lineup is selling well. The controls were all well built, the seats were bolstered well and comfortable for a couple hours, the infotainment was easy to use and the climate control still have regular manual controls. The hatchback shape wasn't compromised by a deep sloping roofline. I can see why people are really enjoying the 1.6T Elantra/Forte/Veloster.  I don't think I'm the buyer for one right now, but I am really curious about a used G70 sedan off lease...

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
1/16/20 10:11 p.m.

Nice review. I recently test drove a GT N-Line and Veloster N. Very very impressed. Veloster N was over my budget and couldn’t get the dealer to budge. Ended up going with an Si sedan which I’m very happy with but part of me wishes I went with the Veloster N and made room in my budget.i can’t complain though in a 3400 mile cross country trip I averaged 37mpgs in the Si and had a blast in it.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/20 12:08 a.m.

Wow, that's a sharp little wagon!

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
1/17/20 6:53 a.m.

I'll admit the Elantra surprised me too when I drove it.  That and for the dollars it is very close to the Golf GTI in fit and finish.  Can't wait for summer to get here and see what it can really do on dry roads and maybe the race track.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qvX6HIbUtGI2ZUo3rvYuP2YHdmcCtnBQ5sCGfltA88rGB3HmapIEacO4uMzjiqpJ