digdug18
digdug18 New Reader
11/8/09 2:32 p.m.

www.phantomgrip.com

one of the reason's I'm considering one is because I have a automatic honda, and they happen to make a unit that will work for that application.

Has anyone used one either on street or scca or whatever. and how do they or do they not like it. Please do not post strictly telling me to get a manual tranny or a quaife lsd, lol...

Andrew

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
11/8/09 4:27 p.m.

I asked about them once and was told "They work so well it's like they're not even there"

Shawn

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
11/8/09 4:38 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I asked about them once and was told "They work so well it's like they're not even there" Shawn

That's a bit different than what I've read and heard. It was more "phantom" than "grip", IIRC.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
11/8/09 5:24 p.m.

Exactly...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/8/09 5:30 p.m.

Lets just say that it is better than nothing, but not as good as a true gear-driven limited slip differential.

The VW guys add pre-load to their differential gears to achieve similar results and it helps them enough to make it worthwhile to do.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Reader
11/8/09 6:52 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I asked about them once and was told "They work so well it's like they're not even there" Shawn

I've said that about them, otherwise known as the phantom slip.

If your tearing the diff all apart, spend a few bucks on something that works. I think the cheapy OBX units are better than PG.

Kendall

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
11/8/09 7:33 p.m.

How is the PG supposed to work? I don't know much about diffs, could somebody explain it?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
11/8/09 7:58 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: How is the PG supposed to work? I don't know much about diffs, could somebody explain it?

I am not really sure. The Phantom Grip sounds like a mutant stage hand that fights Wolverine in an upcoming Origins movie.

fifty
fifty Reader
11/8/09 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Tommy Suddard:

It increases the preload on the open differential, making both wheels slightly less likely to freewheel.

I don't see a lot of benefit to it. I second the motion for an OBX "Quaife replica" LSD.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
11/8/09 9:22 p.m.

It's pretty useless. My buddy has one in his 1st Gen CRX and it's about 98% worthless. You can ever so slightly feel it when driving on snow, and barely pressing the gas. But get on it hard and it will do a nice one wheel peal for dayzzz.

11s42k
11s42k New Reader
11/8/09 10:01 p.m.

We made one of those for the $2004 z-car. It worked OK when brand new, but we had RWD and we beefed up the design a bit. Like Tommy's dad told me - the phantom part comes from the fact that you don't know if it is going to work and for how long. Erik

digdug18
digdug18 New Reader
11/10/09 10:09 a.m.

well, I'm using it on a non modified front wheel drive daily driver, and i need to rebuild the tranny anyway, and since nothing else is made for my car, my thought process being that its better then the open diff that is already on the car.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
11/10/09 10:21 a.m.

As said, it is better than nothing. Since the only option for my zx2/SR was expensive and needs a lot of mods/axles. I have had one for some 60k miles. It seems to limit inside wheel spin.

cghstang
cghstang Reader
11/10/09 10:25 a.m.

In reply to iceracer:

You can get a KAAZ for the ZX2 now... http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?p=558539&highlight=kaaz#post558539 ... post 21

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
11/10/09 3:33 p.m.

iceracer- thanks, thats exactly the input i was looking for!

YaNi
YaNi Reader
11/10/09 9:07 p.m.

I saw one eat up the pinion gears in a Cadavalier. They got the upgraded springs for the PG and the differential basically ate itself up. Even an OBX has gotta work better than that junk.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
11/10/09 10:10 p.m.

in the mx6/626 community, they were called the phantomcrap. and the irreversible install make it a deal breaker.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition New Reader
11/12/09 2:38 p.m.

I had one in a vintage race MG Midget. Thought it would be easier to push around in the paddock than the welded diff I had earlier.

I ran it for one race in which I spun three times (that's three more times than I had spun in the previous half dozen race events) and yanked it out. Sold it to a fellow that was putting it in his street Midget and put the welded diff back into mine.

Thumbs down from me.

fastclown
fastclown Reader
11/12/09 4:59 p.m.

A welded rear would induce a push, by changing to a LSD (working or not) would eliminate a lot of the push, hence bringing the arse around. It sounds like you needed to make some adjustments before blaming the PG. Did you get tire spin? That would have been the reason to remove the PG. Just wondering....

Jeff
Jeff Dork
11/12/09 5:05 p.m.

2 words, welded diff.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
11/12/09 5:23 p.m.
YaNi wrote: I saw one eat up the pinion gears in a Cadavalier. They got the upgraded springs for the PG and the differential basically ate itself up. Even an OBX has gotta work better than that junk.

Why blame that on the PG. Fact is, the differential would have failed sooner regardless.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
11/12/09 5:29 p.m.

I'm not defending the PG, but there is a lot of misinformation. As for mine, I recently had the differential apart because the pinion shaft came afloat. All of the spider gears were in excellent condition .

kb58
kb58 New Reader
11/12/09 5:35 p.m.

I've never used one, but when that brand comes up, it's always like this: some people say they're fine and more people say they're dog-hurl. That's too big a gamble for the labor of installing one, so I'm staying away.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
11/12/09 7:29 p.m.

Just from the appearance of the product, it looks like all it does is use big springs and plates to mash the side gears against the carrier to create resistance.

Bad/lazy engineering in anybody's book, moreso if you try to charge money for it.

Shawn

YaNi
YaNi Reader
11/12/09 10:30 p.m.
iceracer wrote:
YaNi wrote: I saw one eat up the pinion gears in a Cadavalier. They got the upgraded springs for the PG and the differential basically ate itself up. Even an OBX has gotta work better than that junk.
Why blame that on the PG. Fact is, the differential would have failed sooner regardless.

I have never seen a diff eat itself up like this. I'm not talking explode or chip a tooth, the case was full of shavings. Only logical reason was that the side loading was causing the outside of the pinion gears to wear down. It wasn't noticed until there was no drive, the gears had worn down so far that they were slipping.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yu3Ax7eLESqOOdmK5rJgH27oxzuht5WfpifUEfVLE8XdOhfYFMfxc7zoDwlB1PIP