1 2
Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/19 12:37 p.m.

After a lot of looking around and dismissing things, we finally have a potential vehicle that the Dancer actually things she'd like (though it remains to be seen if her decidedly short self can comfortably drive one): the Nissan Frontier.

The crew cab (4-door) version is large enough for us + the dog, the bed (with a cover) is sufficient for everything she needs to transport for her outreach work, and she likes the styling of it. She also had really good experiences with the Xterra she owned before her current Mariner, and my Infiniti QX4 (Nissan Pathfinder in fancy clothes) has also been fairly pleasant to own and, to a limited extent, work on (replacing the alternator sucked, but there are some nice touches like the flange under the oil filter so the oil that spills when you remove it doesn't just splash all over the frame & exhaust like her Mariner).

There's also the fact that it seems to be the least-expensive 4-door, 4WD truck that we can find.

What have your experiences with them been? Anything we should be wary of? We're mainly leaning toward either new or very lightly used because for this one vehicle it's worth it to me to have a warranty vs. doing all the work myself. Thanks!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 12:40 p.m.

The trans coolers go bad making the fluid a milkshake and killing the trans, radiator, etc to the tune of over $5K. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/23/19 12:46 p.m.

We have a 2013 as a work truck in our die shop.  Other than brakes, tires at 60k and oil changes, we have had zero issues with the truck.   This is an unloved vehicle, everyone beats the snot out of it, we wash it once a year, it gets over loaded banged into with fork trucks, you know generally abused.  The engine is a little noisy when cold, and most don't warm it up before taking off.

It had me looking at Pathfinders, for kid and car hauling duties.

Mine, not a Frontier but the same body.

wae
wae SuperDork
5/23/19 12:47 p.m.

I had a lot of these as '16, '17, and '18 model years as rentals.  I thought of it as the best brand new 1997 model year vehicle that money could buy in 2017.

Comfortable, decent towing capacity with the right engine, and available with a manual but it had the feel of a vehicle that came off an assembly line that was turned on in the mid 90s and nobody ever thought to come and check on it or turn it off.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/23/19 12:48 p.m.
Javelin said:

The trans coolers go bad making the fluid a milkshake and killing the trans, radiator, etc to the tune of over $5K. 

True, not sure what years this was a problem on, it was common.  My radiator was already replaced.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/19 12:49 p.m.
Javelin said:

Fixed in post 08 xterra and frontier. Also it's just as easy as adding an external cooler in place of it running through the radiator. Fuel level sensors seem to go bad, VQ timing chain guides tend to go and need replacing you can tell on cold start whether it needs it.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/23/19 12:51 p.m.

They are a truck that rides like a truck, strange I know.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 12:56 p.m.
akylekoz said:
Javelin said:

True, not sure what years this was a problem on, it was common.  My radiator was already replaced.

1998-2019. Design still hasn't changed. Install an aftermarket divorced cooler ASAP.

Unfortunately, the manuals self-destruct the input shaft.

I've had to deal with both issues. I warned my neighbor, but it was too late, his went to the trans shop with the milkshake yesterday.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
5/23/19 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I just bypassed my wifes '06 a week or so ago (along with replacing the u-joints.) 130k with no issues lucky for us.

The other issue to watch for is that the IPDM likes to eat relays. Supposedly the new style relay fixes the issue but I still end up replacing it every 1.5-2 years when the X-Terra has trouble starting (crank no start.) The relay is like 3 bucks and the parts guy at the local Nissan dealer keeps a stash of them in his desk drawer.

I look at Frontiers on and off. The only truck that seems to have dropped in value faster is the Colorado.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/23/19 2:46 p.m.

I bought a new 2011, in 2011. Crew Cab, Pro-4X with the lux package (leather package, Rockford Fosgate stereo that was actually really good.)

I never towed with it, but did play around off-road a few times in it in super deep mud. Like, "Let me see how far I can make it in 2WD." Then when it finally got stuck, I put in 4WD, still stuck, and it just pulled itself right out. 

The interior isn't the nicest or most well made, but the rest of the truck felt/drove solid.

The other nice thing, is because they are so old and not selling as well, you can get them WAY under MSRP. Even way back then, they brought in the truck I wanted (I wanted mine in white) from another dealer and I still got it for something like $4500 off MSRP. 

The basic question is, "Is a similarly equipped Tacoma worth the extra $10k for the interior and resale value?"

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/23/19 2:50 p.m.

Good things to know! We'd definitely be getting an auto (she has no interest in learning to drive a manual) so no worries about the input shaft. Trans cooler issue is good to know about- installing a separate cooler shouldn't be an issue (hell, I likely have one sitting around the garage someplace)... would just have to decide whether to wait until it was out of warranty or not if we get one still under warranty.

Not too terribly concerned about it holding its value- we'll likely be keeping it for the long haul. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/23/19 2:56 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

One of the things she likes about it is the fact that it's readily available with cloth seats- she absolutely hates the leather seats in my QX4 in warm weather, so we definitley won't be getting that option.

I'll probably try and get her to at least look at a few of the competitive models, but having seen one of these in person she really likes the look of it (something that matters far more to her than me, at least in this type of vehicle). I'm not sure the extra resale would be worth another $10k (you're right, from what I've found these can be had for solidly less than competitive trucks just from what the dealers advertise in the way of discounts...) to us, and since she's been happy with a 2008 Mercury's interior I imagine she won't have too many objections to this (assuming she can reach the pedals...). If for some reason she wanted something newer, I'd likely be giving serious thought to taking the truck myself depending on how the QX4 was holding up.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
5/23/19 2:58 p.m.

I've had several as rental cars.  Decent little trucks, probably #2 or #3 on my list walking into nationals lot at the airport.  The comment above about it being the best new 1997 vehicle money can buy today seems accurate (and true of alot of nissans range currently).

My only gripe was the terrible (terrible) turning radius.  I think I can spin an F350 quadcab/8' bed (non-dually) in the same space.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/23/19 3:00 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

One of the things she likes about it is the fact that it's readily available with cloth seats- she absolutely hates the leather seats in my QX4 in warm weather, so we definitley won't be getting that option.

I'll probably try and get her to at least look at a few of the competitive models, but having seen one of these in person she really likes the look of it (something that matters far more to her than me, at least in this type of vehicle). I'm not sure the extra resale would be worth another $10k (you're right, from what I've found these can be had for solidly less than competitive trucks just from what the dealers advertise in the way of discounts...) to us, and since she's been happy with a 2008 Mercury's interior I imagine she won't have too many objections to this (assuming she can reach the pedals...). If for some reason she wanted something newer, I'd likely be giving serious thought to taking the truck myself depending on how the QX4 was holding up.

I haven't looked, but the 4x4 stuff is something that was desirable (I would get it just because) you can still get it without the leather. I'm love hate on it. Not so fun in the summer, but heated seats sure are nice in the winter. I can't remember the last time I saw heated seats in a vehicle that were cloth, I'm sure there are some though.

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/23/19 3:06 p.m.

It is interesting that the Frontier and the XTerra were a common platform... I imagine that's probably going to be another mark in the 'plus' column for her given how much she liked her XTerra (she only got rid of it because the front suspension completely broke and wasn't worth fixing). 

Amusing note- that XTerra was the first vehicle of hers that I did any work on. When we were dating (I'm thinking it was the second time...) it was parked in front of my house while we had taken the Saturn to dinner and when we came back it had snowed and a neighbor's daughter had slid into it and banged in the rear bumper cover. I pulled the (plastic) cover off and was able to heat up and push it back into shape so the repair cost her nothing.

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/23/19 3:14 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I haven't looked, but the 4x4 stuff is something that was desirable (I would get it just because) you can still get it without the leather. I'm love hate on it. Not so fun in the summer, but heated seats sure are nice in the winter. I can't remember the last time I saw heated seats in a vehicle that were cloth, I'm sure there are some though.

Yeah, most I've seen locally have not had the leather- but the best deal on one locally (2018 with $10k on the clock) says it has heated front seats despite being cloth.

Given its usefulness with regards to getting to and from our cabin, we're definitely getting 4WD.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
5/23/19 4:27 p.m.

New one due next yr,I'd wait.

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/23/19 4:31 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

We've already waited far longer than intended to replace the Mariner- unless they announce and release the new one in the next few months (unsure exactly when we're going to try and get the new vehicle yet, since we will likely be financing both the cabin mortgage and a vehicle...) and the current ones drop even further in price I doubt it will matter to us. 

Jason McRoberts
Jason McRoberts New Reader
5/23/19 6:56 p.m.

I can confirm the heated cloth seats if you get the value truck package.  I replaced my 08 crew cab with an 18 extended cab 4x4 last October and it has them.  The old one ran out of oil pressure at about 180k, but that was most likely due to my love of the fun side of the tach.

Jason McRoberts
Jason McRoberts New Reader
5/23/19 6:58 p.m.

The only thing that broke other than that was the driver's window regulator.  The fixed the transmission cooler years ago.

TJL
TJL Reader
5/23/19 7:12 p.m.

I had a nice reply typed but guess it didnt post. 

Anyways nissan trucks have been my thing for about 20 years now. Still have my 2000 frontier 4cyl 2wd i bought new. Now also have a 2012 crew cab pro-4x. 

Good: i think its a real great truck. Does truck stuff in a truck like manner but still comfy for me. Mine has the heated leather, sunroof, rockford stuff. I bought it used about 3 years old with 31k miles in like new condition. No sign of having been off-roaded or abused. Got it for 24k which was underpriced and way cheaper than the base model used 4x4’s i was seeing. CPO from local toyota dealers lot. 

Has good power, no prob out accelerating many other vehicles. Tows nice. 

Bad: gas mileage. My carputer stays about 15.7. It will average up a bit if im on backroads doing consistent lower speeds(55-70) instead of commuting in traffic with the most oblivious drivers that central FL has to offer. 

The paint is pretty sucky. VERY thin and just never looked that great. 

I think i may have a leak around my windshield. Occasionally i seem to find water where i shouldnt. 

Overall id be happy to buy it again. Ive had nothing to do to it mechanically.  Soon will be trans flush and prob brakes. I bought it right and have had equity in it pretty much since i bought it. 

Oh and yeah these are hitting rental fleets too. Ive had quite a few ive rented. Its sweet renting a clone of your appliance. No learning curve. Even with varied rental abuse, they still seemed as tight as mine. 

TJL
TJL Reader
5/23/19 7:17 p.m.

Also these are not the same as the 1986.5-1997 “Hardbody” or 1998-2004 frontiers. The 2005 to current is a different chassis completely. New engine family too. 

In this current body stile, starting on 05 they used a aluminum front diff housing. If your doing dumb stuff it could crack. Knew a guy that broke 2 but he also wheeled the crap out of his. One broke on a rocky hill he was climbing with mud tires and a whole lotta throttle. Not a surprise it broke. Should never be a issue with normal use. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 8:03 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I put about 1500 miles on a rental Frontier last year. It has the best cruise control on hilly terrain of any vehicle I’ve driven. I really liked it & wish I could get SWMBO’s interest in one. 

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
5/23/19 10:03 p.m.
Javelin said:

Except they fixed that over ten years ago and any models affected would have already blown up by now. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/19 8:26 a.m.

Is there any long-term fix for the manual gearbox input shaft problem?

Only thing I have to add is that if you're going to use one for offroading, you should get aftermarket HD tie rods. Saw a well-maintained one break a tie rod right in front of me, trying to take a sharp turn onto a steep incline.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IhLFTYdAYrMvYDqehbat2g0JvcRVr2kfCOmIa5MdHVQmascQR6VRz2WBCoQOqF7s