Gentleman_Racer
Gentleman_Racer New Reader
8/14/17 11:14 p.m.

Hi all!

Won't ramble on here, but I looked for months now without success trying to find a good Daily driver and track day fun car. I'm not competitive just looking for some fun on a weekend. I was set on an E36 M3 (stock form/no accidents), but I give up trying to find one. I'm trying to keep the budget to around 10k and most around my area are just beat to death and cost a fortune with 200k miles. Plus, I'm kinda picky.

So, trying to keep the cost down on maintenance and just go out and have fun I've decided on the hateful NC Miata. I shouldn't say I hate it. It's just ugly and well... ugly. I did have a question here and wondered if the Miata has a good club or not. I've just moved up to NorCal area and I found one club, but they only do what looks like 1 event a month if that. I'm used to PCA which does AutoX and Track days pretty often. Is there another group I should be looking at joining once I find a Miata to buy?

Also, can anyone recommend a good roll bar extension that can maybe be put on/off easily for these cars?

Thanks very much all for any help/advice you can give!

Cheers!

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/15/17 6:11 a.m.

I missed the daily driver part and started to suggest a Skip Barber car. Well, if you can have a dedicated track car that would be a good way to go. ;)

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
8/15/17 8:21 a.m.

The Nor Cal Miata clubs are nothing like the PCA. They are putting on cars and coffee type events or "drives" on scenic roads around the area. If you want to do autox or track days, NASA, SCCA, and a dozen smaller organizations like TrackMasters can hook you up.

Rodan
Rodan Reader
8/15/17 9:29 a.m.

If you're interested in track work with an NC, buy a soft top. The power hard top (PRHT in Miata speak) makes for a fabulous DD, but is pretty incompatible with roll bars. The NC gets little respect, but it's a capable platform.

Can't comment on NorCal Miata clubs, but if they're like most Miata clubs they'll be more oriented to the wine/cheese sunday drive crowd. Just find a good trackday organization, or go to the PCA events and make them hate you...

JBasham
JBasham Reader
8/15/17 9:56 a.m.

Sorry the M3 didn't work out. Hope you have loads of fun with the Miata!

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/17 11:11 a.m.

The later club cars improved the looks a bit. The color choice and choice of accessories play a part in their looks, IMO.

No matter which one you choose, the stock dampers and springs aren't terribly great. FM has their vmaxx setup that is proven to work.

It also pairs well with their Cali legal supercharger kit :). FM Supercharger

For a roll bar, you'll have to go with their convertible setup that has down tubes that bolt into the trunk. Kind of a pain, but safety isn't something to scrimp on, even for track days.

Another option might be an RX-8 since they are similar chassis, but it's a hardtop. The engine and styling are love/hate, but it's an idea.

Stefan
8/15/17 11:22 a.m.

You can also find Corvettes in that price range and they can be very fast on track.

There was a Southern Oregon track prepped/daily C5 available here in the Classifieds. It might still be available....

Gentleman_Racer
8/15/17 1:00 p.m.

Thanks a bunch all for the help/advice! Cheers!

Quick question. It sounds like I need to look for a 2009+ for the forged internals and updated interior. The problem I'm faced with is it worth getting a "Sport" or a "Grand Touring"? I found a really good deal on a "sport" which is the base trim, but it's only a 5 speed and no LSD. Which for track days is probably a necessity. Can you guys chime in? I'm not really into modding any cars I would only keep this car for maybe 2yrs tops is my guess.

Stefan
8/15/17 1:19 p.m.

If you're not going to mod it (which is a lie since you will need a bar at the very least), then get the one that has the parts you will need, which is the LSD.

That said, the stock shocks are done after 40-50K, so you might as well plan on the improved shocks/springs, which is just maintenance plus.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
8/15/17 1:38 p.m.

Consumables will be cheap.

Gentleman_Racer
8/15/17 3:38 p.m.

Very true. I guess would anyone know if you can add a LSD to a miata that did not originally have one?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/17 4:10 p.m.

Sure. It's just about 11 bolts to change it out. You basically just replace the whole assembly if you are going to put the factory LSD into it. Any shop can do it or it's not a hard DIY project. Not sure if you need different axles or not. My NC doesn't have the stock rear end in it.

If you are going to go aftermarket, then I'd find out who your local drive train shop is and just take it there. If you haven't done it before, installing an LSD needs a bit of knowledge and some specialty tools.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
8/15/17 4:18 p.m.

NB's are so much prettier

smokindav
smokindav Reader
8/15/17 4:42 p.m.

Miatas are so slow. Get a Mustang.

GroupSects
GroupSects GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/15/17 4:44 p.m.

NC Owner who dailies and tracks his car:

Club wise: NASA and SCCA are to quote a friend "The fun miata club". There will be plenty of Miatas present at all of their events. NCs aren't as popular as the NA/NBs but they're gaining steam.

NC2 (09+) is a little nicer in most ways but the forged internals aren't required. There are plenty of people in the earlier cars with a lot of track days/autoX with a lot of miles on them as well. Forged internals do allow for a few more RPMs stock which are huge in AutoX in the stock classes. You're gonna get whooped by NDs in CS right now though.

Roll bars are a requirement for the car for most HPDE orgs and can be pricey to get a fully legal one. If you're just doing AutoX you don't need a bar.

Stock suspension is bad at everything IMO, I went FM Springs/Koni shocks which made it infinitely better both as a DD and a track car. The 13+ Clubs are closer to getting it right, but they're still pretty soft and get into the bump stops very easily.

Yeah you can add a LSD, either putting a stock takeoff in the car or there are a few aftermarket ones. If you're not doing the work yourself it will be a pretty pricey install. You've got to remove both rear hubs to get the axles out and I think unbolt and lower/support the trans to get enough room to free the driveshaft. Long story short find one with a LSD unless it's a screaming deal.

Not all Grand Touring or Touring 6 speed cars have a LSD. 06-08 Premium Package (HIDs, Seat Heaters) and Suspension Package (Bilsteins) has the LSD, 09+ It's suspension package only. But apart from a small run of '07 MSR cars there are no 5 speeds with a LSD.

Other than that they're about perfect for your use, they've got enough tires/wheel width, cooling, and brakes to be a lot of fun right out of the box and other than a roll bar don't require anything to run on the track. I do really recommend at least mild suspension work though.

Also I'm on the opposite coast but I'm probably going to sell my 07 soon, feel free to PM me if you want info.

Gentleman_Racer
8/15/17 5:59 p.m.

You guys rock! Really love this forum. Can't thank you enough for the advice/guidance. Big thank you GS for the write up! I found a 2012 sport miata for 11k with 60k miles. Thought that was a good price for such a late model. It doesn't have the LSD so not sure if I'll wait or not. I'll definitely consider the earlier cars. I was happy to hear they did raise redline by 500rpm's, but it's pretty minor.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
8/16/17 3:16 a.m.

I have a '15 NC soft top Grand Sport w/suspension package. It's my only car. I was going to keep it stock, but the stock dampers are so willowy, that I had to switch them out. I opted for Flyin Miata's Cadillac option, the Fox suspension package, but I'm sure that a less expensive setup would give you a lot of fun for the dollar. I opted for the soft top over the PRHT because I think the hard top looks dorky when the body color matches the top, and I really, really like flipping the top back in half a second.

I don't do any competitive driving; rather, I take it on trips in the mountains, drive down washboard dirt roads, pick up hilariously large things with the top down, and play in the snow when able. It's a great sidekick, and as an added bonus, the cutout in the bottom of the trunk keeps a large pizza in place, and the muffler underneath keeps it warm.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FMFr3HZXi8L7A72xLcs6yXXBN4lq6lZZONvaVeCVLhLTLuIctLIJMc7TNbVFpdwZ