1 2
SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
11/15/18 4:35 p.m.

So, I just swung a deal on a super nice, challenge friendly, 1988 TC.  I take delivery either tomorrow or Saturday morning.  It has had a ton of stuff done to it to include:

Stage 2 clutch

Short throw shifter

All sensors replaced

SS header

T3 turbo

42lb injectors

6al ignition with Mallory coil

New aluminum 3 core radiator with electric fan

Lowered with sn95 springs and shocks

Nice wheels

Billet adjustable cam gear

New timing set

130 amp alternator 

Cobra brake swap (in the trunk).

The reason for this post is to find all of my grm 2.3 turbo fans that are hoarding old speed parts.  I'm looking for a ported head, ported intake, and a performance camshaft.  I will post pics when I figure out how to do it, or talk a friend into adding it for me.

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
11/15/18 4:54 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

I'm having a buddy upload the pics or link shortly. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/15/18 5:14 p.m.

I got this text today. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
11/15/18 5:15 p.m.

are you leaving the drivetrain in that BIG 'ol bird or perhaps a lighter chassis.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/18 5:17 p.m.

I would be curious of the source on the 42lb injectors, and worried that the SS header is eBay junk. Aside from that, I hope it isn't a complete rot box and that you enjoy it!

The speed parts you want will be tough to source at challenge friendly prices, but not unheard of.

In for pics.

GVX19
GVX19 HalfDork
11/15/18 5:17 p.m.
gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/18 5:36 p.m.

Those sale ad pics give me the heebie jeebies.

I hate wet car ad pics.

Underhood I see a code scanner, a DVOM, and disconnected A/C. But for the right money, at least it appears to be a southern car

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
11/15/18 6:42 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

No, this one is staying in the bird.

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
11/15/18 6:47 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

I fully expect to repaint the car, but I will try to use rubbing compound and polish to see if I can "spit shine a 'bird" first. Lol. See what I did there? I will end up replacing the A/C eventually.  I think the rules state that I can fix it at zero budget since this car is going to be my daily and A/C doesnt add performance,  but I need to read up on that.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/15/18 8:21 p.m.

I’m jelly....

More drag oriented tires and a Gillis valve will net 13’s.

If you want DD reliability look at dumping the master, abs module, and premium ride struts/shocks. They 30yrs old and even when new were problematic and not cheap to fix.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/18 8:26 p.m.

Want to sell it? Like, seriously? Shoot me a PM...

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
11/15/18 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

All of that has been done already.  My buddy has a set of drag radials that came off of a TC that he wrecked.  I'm sure I can get them cheap!!!

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
11/15/18 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I think I will hold onto this one for a bit.  SWMBO may blow a gasket when she finds out i got it.  You are first on the list when it comes up for sale.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/15/18 9:08 p.m.

Oh and a single front seat is 80#...

Cant remember but the front bumper support was steel in prior years and had to weigh 60#... bumper shocks and end plates are 10#/each. Tons of extra wiring that adds up fast.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/18 12:58 a.m.
SaulGoode said:

In reply to Javelin :

I think I will hold onto this one for a bit.  SWMBO may blow a gasket when she finds out i got it.  You are first on the list when it comes up for sale.

(Dialing SWMBOs number to totally rat you out...)

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/16/18 10:27 a.m.

A fellow student back in the day (‘93) had a ‘69 Chevelle 396.  His wife had one of these.  He claimed the Turbo Bird was faster.  I was incredulous.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/16/18 10:35 a.m.

Also jealous.  I had an '88 from 97-2001 and enjoyed it every minute.  Rarely have I gotten so much use from a car for so little effort.

The ONLY time it failed to start right up was when a spark plug wire shorted and the computer disables the car to keep it from hurting itself.  Fortunately the same thing had happened to the PO (my dad) and while it took a shop a full day to diagnose it for him, I remembered the issue and swapped on new wires in 10 minutes.  Such a good car.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
11/16/18 10:45 a.m.

I once co-drove in an autocross in an '83 Turbo Coupe in south Florida.  The owner took first and I took second in a large G Stock class, shocking a number of BMW and Alfa Romeo drivers.  I seem to recall that we were a significant number of seconds ahead of third place.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/18 11:51 a.m.

My Dad got one of the square headlight TC when I was in the Army.  He got it cheap and the body was not pretty but it was the first turbo car I got to drive, and have had one ever since.  

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
11/16/18 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Got pics?

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
11/16/18 12:44 p.m.

Is the Ranger head still a thing with these?

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/18 1:31 p.m.

In reply to SaulGoode :

My Dad might.  I will ask.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/16/18 1:39 p.m.

Man, I love these. Nice score. 

START A BUILD THREAD! devil

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/18 1:52 p.m.

I have some 2.3 parts leftover. Need to make up a sale post soon. Not sure I have anything you're looking for though. Car looks sweet though!

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
11/16/18 2:08 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

PM sent

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MLAI9hP79YYpkjjLJ502FXNYU5RukEhMKQiIlktiuVYMynJX9y4uBByaDnakcqgu