VG30_S12
VG30_S12 New Reader
3/16/09 3:51 p.m.

looking at a new toy, and it has a little bit of underbody rust, looks to be mostly surface Pictars

so what do you guys think? of the car and of the underbody?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/09 4:04 p.m.

'82 Skyline?

VG30_S12
VG30_S12 New Reader
3/16/09 4:14 p.m.

yup, an 82 Skyline RS(just an FJ20E) but ive got an FJ20ET waiting for it suposidly has 71,000km and runs good

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/16/09 4:17 p.m.

I'm a Charmin man myself.

VG30_S12
VG30_S12 New Reader
3/16/09 4:27 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I'm a Charmin man myself.

oro? is that like a brand of cleaner?

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
3/16/09 4:34 p.m.

May work for DILYSI's underbody, but it may not be abrasive enough for the underbody of your Skyline. You'll need the cheap, sandpapery stuff to get rid of that rust.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/16/09 4:37 p.m.

My approach isn't for everyone.

I've got a lift, a pressure washer, and a raincoat. When I get started on a car project, I typically put it on the lift, grab my pressure washer, don my slicker, and crawl under it for an afternoon of frivolity.

After my grease bath, I run a few fans to dry it off.

Then I am ready to begin rust treating the underbody.

VG30_S12
VG30_S12 New Reader
3/16/09 4:43 p.m.

oh dang, went right over my head lol

i unfortuantly do not have a lift, nor a pressure washer, but ill see what i can come up with

i was thinking a wire wheel would do ok, but i wasn't sure if that would be too much. so your saying the best might be to clean it off and then go with sanding sponges and elbow grease? Id be getting it from canada, so an under body wash is something i really should consider

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/16/09 7:59 p.m.

Alternate plan B:

Take it to a car wash with an underbody rinse.

Alternate plan C:

Take it to a DIY carwash (the kind with the pressure washers). Bring car ramps and a raincoat and safety goggles. Do it at a low usage time when no one will mind that you are taking extra time. Bring lots of quarters. Best car wash will have the built in degreaser.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
3/17/09 8:22 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Bring lots of quarters.

Last time I went to the carwash, they also took ATM and credit cards.

snipes
snipes New Reader
3/17/09 9:20 a.m.

That look like a fun car to own. I have been thinking about the under side cleaning also....

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/17/09 9:58 a.m.

Saw a posting once from a guy who'd rigged up a section of pipe to a garden hose. He drilled a bunch of small holes in the pipe, capped the end, and drive over it repeatedly. Seemed to work pretty durn well.

You can connect the garden hose to the sink for hot water.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/17/09 10:38 a.m.

Hmmm...that reminds me of another idea.

A mechanic friend built a rig that worked pretty well. Basically a really big "T" out of pipe. PVC would work. Drill a bunch of holes in the pipe, hook it up to your hose, and push it under the car with the holes pointing up.

He used metal pipe, mounted wheels on the ends so he could roll it under the car, and hooked it to his heated pressure washer.

Duke
Duke Dork
3/17/09 11:21 a.m.

Drill SMALL holes so you get some decent pressure out of it, too.

sector7
sector7 New Reader
3/17/09 4:22 p.m.

ya but the steering wheel is still on the wrong side....

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
3/17/09 4:29 p.m.
sector7 wrote: ya but the steering wheel is still on the wrong side....

It'd make a wicked mail delivery car!

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
3/17/09 5:31 p.m.

underbody sand blasting would work too

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p5MstSNMTQLtTNZg93Q2bFqFiFzOZzjZvR6gWQvI5LFdBHvdA92skOKINbBHeVyx