Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/08 4:58 p.m.

Has anybody used one of these?

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=61

They would certainly open up some floor space in my barn, but I've always been worried about flat spotting tires when storing them like this. I've always stacked them, but I've got too many piles of tires.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
10/17/08 5:18 p.m.

Got a welder?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/17/08 9:04 p.m.

Behold the power of 2x4's and nails.

Woody
10/17/08 9:34 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Got a welder?

Yes, I've got a welder.

But, I've also got a new baby in the house and while the material cost would be relatively low, my time (I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to smoothing welds, paint prep and finish: I spent more than a week extending the seat frame for a scooter by three inches) would put me well beyond the price to buy one or two.

And I'd never be happy with 2x4's and nails.

My main question is whether or not this is a good way to store tires without creating flat spots.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/17/08 10:31 p.m.

$20 worth of EMT and a welder and 1/2 hour of your time can build all the tire rack you need. The EMT doesnt create flat spots so im sure the tire rack system wouldnt either.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
10/18/08 9:08 a.m.
Woody wrote: My main question is whether or not this is a good way to store tires without creating flat spots.

No. That rack is good for short term storage (i.e, the weekend) only. The Tire Rack column in the back of the magazine recently specifically mentioned that the best position for long term tire storage is with the tires laying on their sides.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
10/18/08 10:27 a.m.

Agree

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/18/08 11:42 a.m.

Why?

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer Reader
10/18/08 6:06 p.m.

I've seen a tire/wheel dolly.

Basically a cross with 4 casters on the bottom. And a pole coming up the middle. Stack all 4 wheels/tires on it and it's portable but keeps wheels/tires on their sides.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 New Reader
10/19/08 2:48 a.m.

what if you took a pipe that fit through the wheel center and hung them that way, so nothing is touching the ground or stacked.

Woody
10/19/08 9:55 a.m.
wreckerboy wrote:
Woody wrote: My main question is whether or not this is a good way to store tires without creating flat spots.
No. That rack is good for short term storage (i.e, the weekend) only. The Tire Rack column in the back of the magazine recently specifically mentioned that the best position for long term tire storage is with the tires laying on their sides.

Thank you.

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer Reader
10/20/08 11:19 a.m.

Just have to be careful not to dent/mar the wheels. Plus how would you hang that up without having to lift all 4 wheels/tires onto the hanger? The crossbars would get in the way. I don't see away around that.

Unless you make the bar that holds the rack in the middle, then that would have alot of weight on it too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UBNt7dnUY36rnaqVm8Nk0ATOCvTpSvlJ33WonLpS0aXFdun2oGNp6Pm7a0e5Kn7r