1 2 3
Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/19/08 9:48 a.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: The horse E36 M3 here is very deep. Grassroots Motorsports Magazine has jumped the shark. Please note the date.

Here's how the dictionary defines grassroots: "of, pertaining to, or involving the common people, esp. as contrasted with or separable from an elite: a grass-roots movement for nuclear disarmament."

So apparently there's still no $$ value in the official definition. Matter of fact, money isn't even discussed--but I did check once again. Please note the date.

Margie

Carson
Carson HalfDork
12/19/08 12:26 p.m.

Tiburon is Spanish for shark, it this some editorial clue about a project rally Hyundai that Yumps?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/19/08 12:31 p.m.

Shark jumping is properly done on a motorcycle (see the origins of the phrase). So Scott and Joe are both wrong. And of course I'm right.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/19/08 12:40 p.m.

In reply to Tim Baxter:

If Dave loves me cause I'm wrong......I don't want to be right!

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/19/08 12:41 p.m.

I have considered the idea of getting a BMW 6 series (E26?) and converting it to Rally-X use. That way, I can have an unlimited supply of "Jumping the Shark" references. I think I would be obligated to attach a cardboard fin to the roof and trunk. If I could find one in white, that would be even more awesome.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
12/19/08 1:25 p.m.

What I like about this online community, and one or two others that I regularly participate in, is this. We have a lot of people that use their intelligence extensively and checkbook/credit card selectively.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
12/19/08 3:48 p.m.

The best thing about just being grassroots you can allways go down to rentaprise and thrash a brand new stink bomb and return it then get back in a paid for car classic and be in comfort that you didnt break down or if you did ding it you bought the extra insurance .

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
12/19/08 7:31 p.m.

Grassroots is a state of mind, although some 'roots are thicker & deeper than others...enjoy that RX8.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
12/19/08 7:54 p.m.

I think Grassroots also relates to the income of the individual, more money to spend more car to spend it on.

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
12/20/08 7:54 a.m.

If "Grassroots" was only about cheapskate MacGyver solutions then it could just as well be called "Cheaproots Motorsports".

steverife
steverife New Reader
12/20/08 8:48 a.m.

I like the magazine, but I've always been a little put off by the message board because of the "I'm more grassroots than you" attitude of so many on here.

I had a new Mustang. I liked it, but decided I wanted to try something else. I added a CRX to the stable. I loved the car, but got a little overwhelmed trying to keep up two cars. I had some bills to pay, so I sold the car. Soon after I sold it, the Mustang got t-boned. I ended up with a Mazda 3. It isn't very exciting, but it fit my budget and needs. In the first year I've had the car, I spent over a third of the car's purchase price on autocross (shocks, wheels, race tires, travel). I sacrifice other things to be able to afford that. I also do things like drive 500 miles after work to get to autocrosses or get back back from DC at 2 am to get up a few hours later and drive the same car to work (still filed with tires, tools, cooler, etc).

Am I grassroots? Who cares? I do it because I love it.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
12/20/08 2:30 p.m.

You can define grassroots anyway you wish. I was merely pointing out that I did't think a new cadillac was very grassroots. Just my opinion...

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
12/20/08 7:27 p.m.

Steverife has it right. It's pretty funny when people start arguing about small semantics when in reality, their view points are close. It's like a miniature version of the arguments between various factions of christianity or islam.

I've got a piece of E36 M3 Neon. I've got a nearly new MINI. My view point is that I'm proud that I'm not out there spending thousands of dollars a weekend on racing—others are proud that they're not spending thousands of dollars on their whole car. Same..but slightly different.

berkeley it. Go have fun. Spend what you want.

bamalama
bamalama New Reader
12/20/08 8:23 p.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: You can define grassroots anyway you wish. I was merely pointing out that I did't think a new cadillac was very grassroots. Just my opinion...

A Cadillac is grassroots if it's at the track without some big factory effort or something like that.

I've always figured if you had to work to pay for racing, you're grassroots.

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
12/21/08 9:17 a.m.
bamalama wrote: I've always figured if you had to work to pay for racing, you're grassroots.

Yes! This is the best definition I've seen so far about what we do. I am with you.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vBs3QmzIkt5jVzHkJX9g2IAjs1HLNxaIBtWBBgILzYdthmtOcUDDLYMmNKq2PaPH