1 2
tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
3/27/12 8:29 p.m.

Alright guys. Let's suppose I wanted a sticky tire that was as much like a motorcycle tire as possible, meaning round profile. Where would I find such a thing?

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/27/12 8:30 p.m.

Motorcycles?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/27/12 8:38 p.m.

Or http://www.cokertire.com?

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
3/27/12 8:44 p.m.

Sorry, I missed details. Cannot be a motorcycle tire and should have a treadwear rating.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
3/27/12 8:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Or http://www.cokertire.com?

tried them - most seem crazy expensive and/or motorcycle based.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
3/27/12 8:48 p.m.

Do you mean like a Firestone Balloon Indy style tire?

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
3/27/12 8:52 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Sorry, I missed details. Cannot be a motorcycle tire and should have a treadwear rating.

A space saver spare? They are built like brick E36 M3houses and are kinda sticky in an attempt to work with the other tires.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
3/27/12 9:15 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Do you mean like a Firestone Balloon Indy style tire?

Yes, like that. For cheap. And sticky.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
3/27/12 9:16 p.m.
Shaun wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Sorry, I missed details. Cannot be a motorcycle tire and should have a treadwear rating.
A space saver spare? They are built like brick E36 M3houses and are kinda sticky in an attempt to work with the other tires.

For racing. No way am I racing on a space saver.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/27/12 9:17 p.m.

Is it a secret what it's going on? Based on the given criteria, I can't actually help, but I am intrigued.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
3/27/12 9:40 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Do you mean like a Firestone Balloon Indy style tire?
Yes, like that. For cheap. And sticky.

From restoring antique Indy cars I can tell you that those tires are by no means cheap. You will have a hard time finding them. Coker Tire will make special batches of them from time to time and they end up costing $200 a tire IIRC.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/27/12 10:27 p.m.
codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/27/12 10:45 p.m.
From restoring antique Indy cars I can tell you that those tires are by no means cheap. You will have a hard time finding them. Coker Tire will make special batches of them from time to time and they end up costing $200 a tire IIRC.

That's cheaper than Hoosiers!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/28/12 7:14 a.m.

I am interested in this because one day I would love to build a Morgan three wheeler replica.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
3/28/12 8:09 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Shaun wrote:
For racing. No way am I racing on a space saver.

Why would that be a problem? These ones have 12 bolts per foot pushed through them and they held up quite nicely.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
3/28/12 9:06 a.m.

It probably won't be cheap (more likely it would be ridiculously expensive), but the Deltawing race car is running skinny Michelins in the front. The tires are made special just for them, as far as I know, but that might be a route.

The original concept used Firestone Firehawks, but again, probably not even remotely affordable, if the tires even exist in any useable form.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
3/28/12 9:07 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: ...and should have a treadwear rating.

Neat on the deltawing, though

dculberson
dculberson Dork
3/28/12 9:09 a.m.

Is there a chance you could go through tech and BS with the cool tires than then go racing on more traditional tires?

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
3/28/12 9:19 a.m.
dculberson wrote: Is there a chance you could go through tech and BS with the cool tires than then go racing on more traditional tires?

Nope, and the reason is secret - good idea though.

Who said this was for Lemons?

dculberson
dculberson Dork
3/28/12 12:29 p.m.

Nobody said, it's just that "Racing" == "Lemons" to me. Especially with the treadwear rating requirement. ;-)

I wanna see it once you get it done!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/28/12 12:47 p.m.

What size (guess). The Firestone balloons above are 20s I believe.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
3/28/12 1:57 p.m.
914Driver wrote: What size (guess). The Firestone balloons above are 20s I believe.

Any size is fine, really.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
3/28/12 1:58 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Nobody said, it's just that "Racing" == "Lemons" to me. Especially with the treadwear rating requirement. ;-) I wanna see it once you get it done!

If we do it, everyone here will see it in pics, and I'll let everyone know where it will be raced and when.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/28/12 4:40 p.m.

So you want a specific, weird, old tire shape AND have it cheap? Good luck.

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
3/28/12 4:55 p.m.

You want a cheap sticky tire with a treadwear rating,....reminds me of this.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3fgc4qzERy97K3tDxJTSuirHO1GI6uuYYphVZnpKdA1FgQxLmAWe1D2qVcMot9YH