dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/17 7:57 p.m.

So I just took my wife’s H2 out to help transport some people for the Christmas telethon here in town. Un plowed roads and six inches of snow and it sucked. So thinking it was just really wet snow I took my Sierra Denali out when I got back and it was night and day difference.  The Denali has one year old AT Hercules terra track IIs on it. The H2 has some type of Yokohama tires on it that came with the truck when I got it 5 years ago. They have plenty of tread on them. Last year in the snow they were ok but my truck was better.  This year they seem to have dropped off really bad.  I think they have just aged out.  

So next week it is new tire time.  I would definitely consider another set of the terratracs but I have not checked the weight rating on them.  The H2 is one heavy SOB.  However the Denali loaded to its rated max is actually capable of a higher gross weight than the H2. 

So any suggestions?   The H2 only jets a couple thousand miles a year at most so I don’t need a 80k tire. It is almost never driven on the highway so road noise is not a huge deal either. What I want is something that will do rain and snow exceptionally well. Off road is not a priority.  About the only off road it sees is when my wife backs out of the driveway and clips the lawn a little.  It is a true MTV. 

Opti
Opti HalfDork
12/9/17 8:06 p.m.

BFG KO2s or dueler at revo 2s are the best answer here for an at used in the snow.

Im sure the BFGs come in that size because they were oe, im assuming they make the ko2s in that size also.

Im not sure of the Revos come i  the size. 

Its like a 315 70 17 right?

dean1484
12/9/17 10:19 p.m.

Yep I think that is the size. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/9/17 11:09 p.m.

Both of the 2 we service are on bfg's, one is lifted though and neither are used for hardcore offroading. duelers seem to be pretty popular on pick up trucks though. Do they make a general grabber in that size?

dean1484
12/9/17 11:13 p.m.

I put the terra tracks on the Denali due to my tire guy saying some bad things about the general.  I will ask if the issues have been fixed. 

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
12/10/17 7:04 a.m.

I took my General Artic Winter tires in to my regular shop to have mounted for the season just yesterday morning.  By yesterday afternoon we had our first flurries of the year and as I wake this morning we have about an inch. 

Yeah, just bragging that I "got that one right"!  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
12/10/17 8:16 a.m.

I have the General Grabbers on my WRX and they suck.  Go with the real BFGs, not the knockoffs.

dean1484
12/10/17 12:37 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

I have the General Grabbers on my WRX and they suck.  Go with the real BFGs, not the knockoffs.

This is exactly why I went sideways to the Terra track II. All the upside of good brand name tires with out the brand name price. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SaNPR6tVi1yzT2QaCKc6eqwBxtABYoUPaclYAbipgyLMEqn5ePKKCuKf50UW8veI