Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
3/31/11 10:49 p.m.

Hi all.

Ok, here is the dealio. I have a line on an 81 GTV6 for an asking price of $1900. From the pics, it looks pretty clean, but, as we all know, that don't mean much. The real glitch is that apparently 2nd gear is a bit wonky. According to the current owner, it does not go into that gear when the trans is cold. Once the gearbox warms up, it can be finessed into 2nd. That sounds to me like a synchro issue, which happens on 2nd gear on these cars. What I don't know is how big of a PITA it will be to have the box rebuilt or to replace it with one from a Milano with the isostatic shift linkage. I could not even fathom to guess how much either option would cost. If I swapped the box, I would do the work myself, so we are only talking part costs here.

What do you all think? If the rest of the car is decent, is it worth it? I love me some Alfa, so I need a more impartial opinion. Thanks!

GS

killerkane
killerkane Reader
3/31/11 11:33 p.m.

My guess is a synchro, I've had the same problem in the past.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
4/1/11 6:16 a.m.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about a worn synchro on a transaxle Alfa. My Alfetta would make a horrendous 'graunch' going into 2nd gear from day one, (if I tried to shift it normally.) However, double-de-clutching, as if the car had no syncromesh at all, produced a silky smooth change every time. Once you get used to it, it's even kinda fun .

mike
mike Reader
4/1/11 7:56 a.m.

Definitely don't worry about the 2nd gear syncro. Throwing a Milano box in there sounds like a good idea and should be cheap to do (though a pretty big PITA). That should get you the better Milano clutch as well, AND you can have a look at the inboard disks at the same time, and replace if necessary. That's a lot easier to do with the transmission out of the car. Then while you're at it, you can change out the front De Dion bushing, and the driveline donuts, and...

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
4/1/11 8:01 a.m.

Almost all Alfas do that. Just don't go into second when it is cold. I've a couple of dozen Alfas through the years, and I've only had one that didn't do that, and it was new. I loved my GTV6, the engine note alone is worth the price. If that is the only problem, it's a good deal. Be sure to ask the age of the timing belt and water pump. They are considered a two year maintenance and change item. Easier to do than on a 944 though.

Also, the linkage will never be great. Just something to remember.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
4/1/11 9:55 a.m.

I have a milano that I will hopefully be getting rid of soon. I have used it for a daily driver for 4 years. I dont think it would cost too much to replace the transaxle with another used one. It could certainly be done for under $500. You can also easily spend huge amounts of money fixing other things if you want to use new parts though. If you pull the transaxle you will probably replace the exhaust ($500), the cv boots ($100) maybe the cv joints too ($700), rebuild the shifter linkage ($175), replace the center support bearing, (~$50), the flex joints (~$450), Maybe rebuild the calipers and replace the pads and rotors ($500), and replace the bushings in the rear ($175 or so). You will also need to replace timing belt($25), water pump($75), all fuel lines (~$100), timing belt tensioner bearing, ($80), cam seals, probably adjust the exhaust valves and replace the valve cover gaskets (~$100), etc. I could go on, but you get the idea. Used parts are pretty cheap, but if you want to make everything you take apart like new it gets expensive very fast.

Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
4/1/11 1:54 p.m.

I'm not too worried about making everything new. This car will essentially be a street-legal track car. It will not have to be as reliable as a DD.

I have driven one of these before, and the shifter did not bother me too much. It was on an earlier GTV6, so I think the Milano box and shifter will be fine for me.

The exhaust will be going anyway, and I certainly expect to do the timing belt and water pump.

This reminds me, what are the rust areas to watch out for? I believe this is a CA car, but I just want to double check.

Thanks!

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
4/1/11 2:40 p.m.

You would still be doing all the stuff I mentioned on a track car, but yes, it would save money in some areas. Changing the fuel lines is essential before you even drive it much. Many of the Milano shifter parts are nla, along with throwout bearings, etc. They are good cars though, so if you can afford it id say do it. The front shock towers are the worst for hidden rust.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DvDJqFpi68mpFs4p7qgKmd4ygXWlQ0DaW7hg8NaGovVaEWOVqPLyWO7rT5im1Nns