RexSeven UltraDork
Feb. 28, 2013 6:05 p.m.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (AWD), 172K miles.

The clutch is completely gone. It doesn't matter what gear I put it into or how many revs I give it, the car won't budge an inch. To add insult to injury, when the tow driver winched the DSM onto the flatbed, one of the hooks took out a big chunk of rusty metal.

I've already spent a lot more than the car is worth trying to fix the numerous oil and coolant leaks caused by the tin worm. While a new clutch is not that expensive, replacing a clutch on an AWD Eclipse is labor-intensive even before considering the entire undercarriage is made of rust at this point, and I don't have the time or space at home to do it myself.

The Eclipse is sitting at a shop, awaiting my decision. Winter's almost over, so I've taken the Mustang out of hibernation and should be OK barring any more freak blizzards. Besides the clutch there is still a minor coolant leak thanks to a dying radiator and the fuel lines are also rotting away.

WWGRM do? Fix, or sell for parts/scrap?

DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
Feb. 28, 2013 6:22 p.m.

I say drop it. If the rust is as bad as you say, it's not worth saving.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
Feb. 28, 2013 6:34 p.m.

Fix the clutch with one from Autozone and keep driving it or sell it. Its a 3-4 hour job max to swap the clutch on a 1G AWD, figure another half hour if it has ABS.

Basically, from the top... Upper intercooler pipe
MAF and intake pipe to turbo
battery
shifter cables
shifter bracket
speedo cable
reverse switch and wiring
starter
dist shield bolt behind turbo
top 2 trans bolts.
Trans mount to trans bolts.

From the bottom... Crossmember under transmission
triangular crossmember by passenger side axle.
Drivers side axle bracket
Small dust cover on clutch
Transfer case
Bottom 2 trans bolts (one is "reversed", threads in from engine side Clutch slave cylinder.

From passenger side wheelwell.... Wheel Pop off 4 rubber plugs and remove transmission mount.
Lower ball joint.
Pop axle free from trans (use a chisel) and swing out of the way

From drivers side wheelwell.... Wheel
Lower ball joint.
Pull axle out of trans (retained by bracket removed earlier)

Then the trans basically falls out. Of course, paying a shop to do this would be muuuurrrda!

bgkast Reader
Feb. 28, 2013 6:39 p.m.

Make an awd turbo buggy like this: http://jalopnik.com/5781657/from-eagle-talon-to-dune-buggy-in-many-steps

BoxheadTim PowerDork
Feb. 28, 2013 6:52 p.m.

I'd move on. After 12 years in the UK, I'm allergic to rust.

crankwalk Reader
Feb. 28, 2013 6:56 p.m.

Ehh I'd part it. 93 with a stock 7 bolt motor? Do you have a 4 bolt rear?

Or

Autozone clutch and rallycross beater

Gearheadotaku UltraDork
Feb. 28, 2013 6:58 p.m.

PIctures would help.

A car that can't be driven isn't worth much, I'm sure you could sell it for more than enough to cover putting in a clutch yourself.

sethmeister4 Reader
Feb. 28, 2013 7:04 p.m.

Rust that bad=get rid of. That is if it's feasible and you have the money to get something else.

RexSeven UltraDork
Feb. 28, 2013 7:28 p.m.

Here's some photos from when I first bought it. Note the black tape rust "repairs."

The Eclipse had to be winched onto the flatbed backwards. The tow driver attached the hooks underneath the front of the rear wheel arches, and it was from the driver's side wheel arch the rust got knocked from. I will try to post up some undercarriage pictures early tomorrow when I get home (I don't have access to photo hosting sites at work).

poopshovel UltimaDork
Feb. 28, 2013 8:32 p.m.

Part and scrap. Btw, best thread title EVAAAR!!!

Feb. 28, 2013 8:57 p.m.

Sell to some teenage kid for $500?

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
Feb. 28, 2013 8:59 p.m.

haha....how's the gearbox? my friend got a galant VR-4 that might need one soooner than later...

RexSeven UltraDork
Feb. 28, 2013 9:06 p.m.

Iffy. You can't shift it too quickly without grinding, though that might be because of the clutch. Takes a little jimmying to stick into reverse when cold. It's fine if you don't beat on it.

I'd definitely change the gear fluid with something decent like Motul 75W-90. Same for the transfer case and VLSD rear end, use Red Line Severe Gear (the rear end seal and fluid were changed recently, but I don't know what fluid was used).

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
Feb. 28, 2013 9:40 p.m.

Cut your losses and leave it?

Vigo UltraDork
Feb. 28, 2013 10:08 p.m.

I have a low tolerance for working on things with non-functional fasteners (rusted bolts). So, i would ditch it.

Swank Force One MegaDork
Feb. 28, 2013 10:10 p.m.

Ditch.

petegossett UberDork
March 1, 2013 5:39 a.m.

I read the thread title as "Epileptic Boogaloo". My first thought was "Wow, a dance I might actually be able to do."

GameboyRMH UltimaDork
March 1, 2013 7:04 a.m.

If it's not worth the cost of the rust repairs and the difficulty of clutch replacement to you, then sell it. Somebody out there is probably willing to fix up an Eclipse that they were going to fully tear down & build anyway.

ebonyandivory Reader
March 1, 2013 9:41 a.m.

For me, that'd have to be an ultra rare edition car or have extreme sentimental value to fix. I'd do whatever was the most simple/economical thing to part with it.

M030 HalfDork
March 1, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Could you find a cheap 2WD base model without any rust & swap your turbo AWD running gear into it?

Sky_Render Dork
March 1, 2013 10:50 a.m.
M030 wrote: Could you find a cheap 2WD base model without any rust & swap your turbo AWD running gear into it?

This is a great idea if the car has sentimental value to you. Does it, or is it just a car?

crankwalk Reader
March 1, 2013 10:54 a.m.
M030 wrote: Could you find a cheap 2WD base model without any rust & swap your turbo AWD running gear into it?

Not that simple considering the tunnel and rear of the cars are completely different. If he is debating a clutch install I doubt that is on his radar.

Swank Force One MegaDork
March 1, 2013 10:57 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote:

This is a great idea if the car has sentimental value to you. Does it, or is it just a car?

It's just a car.... he started a thread a few months back saying he picked up a new winter beater. This is the winter beater.

Sky_Render Dork
March 1, 2013 11:01 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Sky_Render wrote:

It's just a car.... he started a thread a few months back saying he picked up a new winter beater. This is the winter beater.

Berk it. Sell the car.

GameboyRMH UltimaDork
March 1, 2013 11:15 a.m.
petegossett wrote: I read the thread title as "Epileptic Boogaloo". My first thought was "Wow, a dance I might *actually be able to do*."

You should check out krumping

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Tech Tips: 2006–’15 Mazda MX-5

16 hours ago in Articles

We asked a couple experts for the best way to upgrade the NC MX-5.

Project Turbo Miata: Hitting the Dyno With a Fresh Engine

16 hours ago in Project Cars

After getting a new engine, our turbo Miata project rolled onto the dyno.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Proud Prius

20 hours ago in News

Paul Sexton takes the checker while staying green.

Your Projects: Throwback MR2

20 hours ago in News

Take a Toyota MR2 AW11, add mud flaps and a cool livery, and you're ready for rallycross.

You Need This: Wacky Mazda RX-8

20 hours ago in News

Out with the rotary and in with the luxurious Infiniti drivetrain.

From the GRM Vault: Subaru Bounces Back

3 days ago in Articles

Proof that motorsports involvement can lead to corporate success.

Your Projects: SkinnyG's V8 Pontiac Firefly

3 days ago in News

Talk about a sleeper.

Calling All LS-Powered Track Machines to Holley LS Fest

3 days ago in News

Holley LS Fest will once again feature the Grassroots Motorsports Road Course Challenge.

From the GRM Vault: A Dual-Engine Honda CRX and 10 Other Cool Cars Hit the Dyno

4 days ago in Articles

Back in 1997 we put 11 cool cars on the dyno in search of horsepower and truth.

You Need This: Our Mustang GT CAM-C Project Car

4 days ago in News

Soon for sale: Our Mustang GT autocross project.

Deal of the Month: Christmas in July!

4 days ago in News

Get a year of our magazine for just $10.

Your Projects: Smith College's $2017 Challenge Miata

4 days ago in News

Smith College is entering the Grassroots Motorsports $2017 Challenge

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
oQhYtIBfuuO5PpVIbIJWROWaYSpsVMKi