1 2 3
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/8/15 11:31 a.m.

Hey guys,

While I have been using my 74 REPU a lot lately(as I usually do in the spring/fall) it has occurred to me that while I have owned it for the past 13 years I still haven't done any work to the body of it. I have done mechanical repairs such as the front suspension last spring, rear brakes a few years ago, differential replacement last summer, and various other things, but the body and paint still remain as they did when I bought the truck.

Don't get me wrong the paint is really good for what looks like factory 41 year old single stage paint. It does however have nicks, and scratches all over it(especially in the box area), and a rusty spot about the size of a silver dollar on the hood that hasn't gotten any worse from when I bought the truck up til now. The front bumper is supposed to be chrome, but someone prior to me painted it green. It is chipped to all hell, and I think maybe if I were to do anything to it I would just strip the bad paint off of it, and just repaint it green again as I am just used to it now. I also have a mint spare chrome bumper, but again I think I like the green bumper. From the day I bought it the battery doors leading edge has had chipped paint on it, and it hasn't got any worse, but certainly not better. You can see where this is going I bet.

I see so many of these truck all shiny, and restored online that half of me wants to do that, but the other half says leave it be. I mean I do work the truck pretty hard at times. It would be a shame to restore it, and then stop treating it as the tool that it is, but it would be sweet to have a "nice" truck. What would you guys do? Understand that I don't have the money for a full on car show queen restoration, but then again I don't want that level of restoration anyway.

Truck in question:

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/15 11:36 a.m.

I'd drive it just like it is.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/15 11:38 a.m.

Looks good to me. If you restore it would be a shame to not use it for it's intended purpose.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/8/15 11:39 a.m.

It's really, really, really hard to do a halfway paint job without just slapping bondo all over everything. Read my build thread if you want to find out what happens when you open that can of worms.

Unless you want a full restoration, I'd leave it.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/8/15 11:42 a.m.

RE- the rust patch- there are techniques to blend repairs like that with what you have.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/8/15 11:51 a.m.

I will get pics of the trouble areas when I get home.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
5/8/15 11:52 a.m.

I have seen this truck in person, and it is so damn cool just the way it is. I'd say tend to the rust and use the thing as it is. I love old trucks that still get used as trucks!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/8/15 12:33 p.m.

Keep it as is and use it. I bet it's pretty sweet hauling arse and leaves with a rotary soundtrack.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/15 12:43 p.m.

I concur with the rest. Fix / stop the rust and keep on going as is. I have seen this truck as well (years ago now) and it is a great truck.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/8/15 12:45 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

Oh yeah I forgot it needs exhaust work as well. It is a cobbled together system that was on it when I bought it. It hasn't gotten any better over the years, but does make decent sounds.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/8/15 12:54 p.m.

That's factory paint? I'd leave it alone. Maybe a spray in bedliner?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/8/15 12:58 p.m.

I don't know for a fact that it's factory paint, but I see no evidence of a respray.

Chris

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/8/15 1:10 p.m.

If you want to fix the hood rust get that cleaned up and then do a two tone paint job. White on top, original green on the bottom. For non permanent or semi permanent use Plastidip or vinyl. Or you could just leave it

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/8/15 1:47 p.m.

While I love white, I'm not looking for a two tone paint job. Even if I were I think a gun metal color would look cool with the green.

Chris

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/8/15 1:50 p.m.

I'd leave it be. It's a damn good survivor.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
5/8/15 2:00 p.m.

I'd fix the hood spot, install the new chrome bumper, and drive it. It's only original once.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/8/15 2:38 p.m.

I am with the others who advise to fix it well enough to keep it running and take care of any problem areas. A working truck is always better than a trailer queen.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
5/8/15 3:11 p.m.

Chris, you ready to bail on the red one with no driveline yet??? I really want to drop a 4.0 rover and a 5 speed in it. I promise to love it forever. Leave the green one alone.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/8/15 9:44 p.m.

I could be talked into selling the red one, but it is pretty rusty and needs a differential.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
5/8/15 11:02 p.m.

Yup, I agree, leave it alone other than the chrome bumper. Original is better IMHO. Looks great doing what it was made to do, and it's rare enough that it doesn't need to be a show queen to get some attention. I, for one, have never seen one of these in person.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/8/15 11:45 p.m.

They're only original once.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/15 6:19 a.m.

You do realize you asked this on a drivers forum, not a polishers forum, don't you?

Did you really expect a different answer?

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
5/9/15 7:04 a.m.

Add me to the list of people who say fix the rust and keep using it as intended.

I love seeing old vehicles being put to use and not being carted around in an climate controlled trailer like some no tallent, botox injected, butterface who is praised for being hot when all she has is a E36 M3 attitude and piles of money, no thanks!!

/rant apparently lol...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/9/15 7:28 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: You do realize you asked this on a drivers forum, not a polishers forum, don't you? Did you really expect a different answer?

Well I do know that a lot of you guy have really nice cars. I want to have a really nice car someday.

Chris

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/9/15 7:49 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605:

Nice and really nice is relative. You have something that a lot of people admire- and this is your peer group. It's one of those very useful vehicles that you can make look really good as it is.

BTW, since the door cards are so simple, it would be easy to see if the truck was a different color. Up until you getting it, I bet the work was more to be workable. So any re-spray was not restoration style. So you can at least see if it's the original color.

Unless the paint is really thin, seeing what a polishing compound with power tools will do may be something you can do. That should make it look great.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RPO1NtmUJuxGeIJQXyKtn3LUt0hs8pgOg743lW6rppl5hFxwud7CQoDWfue7WGpr